Thread: Books on certain latin rhythms?

User Info Menu

Default Books on certain latin rhythms?

Hey guys...

I have been studying many latin rhythms for the past year. But they have all been from cheap youtube videos. So I was wondering if you guys had any books on latin rhythms..

Here are the styles I am studying at the moment

African
    Cuban
    Afro-Cuban
    Brazillian (As many sub genres of Brazzilian music as I can find)
    I am also studying Jazz as well...(Just thought Id throw that in there)

I would also like some books on Funk...

If any of you could provide a list for me, that would be amazing

Thanks again!

--Darius

User Info Menu

Default Re: Books on certain latin rhythms?

I'm always a proponent of helping Drum Bum out when we can. They're the owners of this site. If you go to this page and put in the search box, "afro" or "funk" or "jazz", you'll see a lot of books come up. You can also look through their drum books pages.

User Info Menu

"The Essance of Afro Cuban Percussion & Drumset"

Great book with instruction for drum set, congas, bongos, timbales, accessory percussion, as well as how all the parts fit together and even music for piano, horns, and bass guitar.

Covers a wide variety of traditional styles with quite a few variations for each and includes a cd with audio examples. Its a really great book that I highly recommend to anyone interested in learning these styles.
    *****GRETSCH****BOSPHORUS****AQUARIAN****VALJE**** *

User Info Menu

Stanton Moore's Take It To The Street encompasses funk, latin beats and NOLA jazz. I think this would be an excellent book. I really like this one because he takes simple beats and just adds accents or moves them around to create awesome grooves.
    ~Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.- Reggie Leach~

User Info Menu

The Essance of Afro Cuban Percussion & Drumset looks amazing! I am going to pre-order it! As for Samba, are there any suggestions? or even funk and jazz?

User Info Menu

Mike Johnston has a few video lessons on funk, afro-cuban and brazilian styles
    Last edited by xweasel; 10-04-2011 at 12:23 PM.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

One that I pull out whenever I can is "Afro-Cuban Rhythms For Drumset" by Bob Weiner and the late Frank Malabe. It's published by Manhattan Music. But not only does it explain the rhythms on the drumset, but also patterns use by conga players, timbale players and other percussion, plus a little history about them, accompanying photos, a glossary of terms, and has a CD as well. Highly recommended.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    One that I pull out whenever I can is "Afro-Cuban Rhythms For Drumset" by Bob Weiner and the late Frank Malabe. It's published by Manhattan Music. But not only does it explain the rhythms on the drumset, but also patterns use by conga players, timbale players and other percussion, plus a little history about them, accompanying photos, a glossary of terms, and has a CD as well. Highly recommended.

... and in the same series: "Brazilian Rhythms For The Drumset" by Duduka Da Fonseca & Bob Weiner

GOOD STUFF

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    "The Essance of Afro Cuban Percussion & Drumset"

Great book with instruction for drum set, congas, bongos, timbales, accessory percussion, as well as how all the parts fit together and even music for piano, horns, and bass guitar.

Covers a wide variety of traditional styles with quite a few variations for each and includes a cd with audio examples. Its a really great book that I highly recommend to anyone interested in learning these styles.
    In my opinion, this is THE definitive Latin percussion book. Plus, it huge. I've worn out 2 copies in my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    I second this. This book is very well put together and easy to understand.