Thread: The right time for a new snare head?

User Info Menu

Default The right time for a new snare head?

I currently still have my ludwig factory snare head on my snare drum. I have had it for a while..and its taken quite a beating...and a bit of the coating is coming off now..i was wondering how much longer i should wait to get a new snare head. I also find it harder to tune now..maybe because the head is worn. Also I need some advice on what snare head to buy..i want a focused head (not too focused)..but i also want a deep punch to it. I was thinking about the Evans Genera Dry head. The snare is 14x8. Any reccomendations?

User Info Menu

that is a popular head for what you want, it would prolly sound really good with your deep thin maple snare. my tama starclassic g-maple 6X14 came with an evans hd dry head and it did not work for me on that particular drum. alot of people with the 8" version like it. i like an open sound and the g-maple is 13 ply wich takes away alot of overtones. i swiched to my ol' standard single ply coated g1.
    again i'm weird about this, but i think that a drum in your size has a ton of sonic possibilities that can only be brought out by a 1 ply head. i takes playing and tuning with a little different awareness to keep it under control but once you do it is totally worth it.

User Info Menu

p.s i think ludwig has some of the best factory heads out there.

User Info Menu

dang..thanx..lot of good info in that reply..but is the fact that the coating is coming off affecting the sound?

User Info Menu

I would be more worried about how dented and warped the skin is before coatings.... I have played skins with at least 50% worn coatings and minimal skin damage and i cant say its sounded worse. But there were holes starting to be worn in the snare so it was time terry did get a new skin :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

as far as coating goes, stevo is right its not all that big of a big deal unless you play with brushes. i was always a remo guy but have switched to evans i think for good becuz the coating has been indestructable.

User Info Menu

ill see if i can take a pic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w
    I would be more worried about how dented and warped the skin is before coatings.... I have played skins with at least 50% worn coatings and minimal skin damage and i cant say its sounded worse. But there were holes starting to be worn in the snare so it was time terry did get a new skin :P
    my friend has had the same snare skin for 8 years, and he still uses it

User Info Menu

must hit like a girl

User Info Menu

hes just a light player and plays with technique and feel.

User Info Menu

If you met terry he would plow you into the ground. He is a buff truckie guy that would walk over anyone :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

okay..so yeah i bought a evans genera dry yesterday..and put it on my snare..and couldnt get it to seat properly..it was lopsided..and one side was always left kinda open..so i tried it again..and the same thing happened..and then i took the head off..and realized the hoop was all warped and bent..so i have to get another one..but it sounded really good.

User Info Menu

that sucks, but it happens with all brands.

User Info Menu

woot..i just brought home my snare..and got a replacement evans genera HD dry head..and its sounds amazing..the stick response is much better than the ludwig factory head..and therefore much faster..and it sounds great..im so happy