Thread: Gon bops fixed

User Info Menu

Default Gon bops fixed

I rescued this Gon Bops a few weeks ago. It was split between two staves and had one large crack in a stave and another small one.

I took the old finish off, glued and clamped it and this is what I have now.

I put the rings back on by snugging them down only finger tight (didn't knock em into place with a mallet and wood block). I did that to allow for expansion with weather changes. It won't be exposed to the outdoors but I have no experience with multiple rings and I've heard some stories of the rivets popping on them.

There's not a lot of tone left in this old (the original I think) head.....it has a Gon Bops stamp on it. I will probably tuck a new cowhide in the near future. I don't want to go with a hide that's too thick - too hard on this ole mahogany shell and hardware I'm told.

It's not a "Perfect" fit but it is closed and glued and nice-n-tight.
    The line stands out because I used the original sanded wood and mixed it with the wood glue. The original finish had a lot of red (Mahogany stain??) in it.

It's a nice ole drum. I sent Gon Bops an email and asked if they could tell me when this drum was made.

I like this history of Gon Bops - how Mariano Bobadilla (Gon Bops) and Tom Flores (Valje) started working together to build drums in the early 50's. I have some old Valjes and now I have this (maybe old??) Gon Bops to go with them.

Gary

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gon bops fixed

You did a really nice job on that - I'm curious - where did you acquire it to begin with?
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

My wife and I went on a little road trip for a few days holiday and we stopped to look at a Vintage car show in Winthrop Washington - our first time there. We ended up in a nice little secondhand shop. I saw the drum sitting in a corner. I recognized the badge right away and bought it. I didn't even notice the separated staves and cracks until after I paid for it. No worries I thought - it's wood it can be repaired. It's a nice looking drum.

As an aside:
    I primered (white) and painted (Black Gloss) all the hardware. I spent a week doing it but did not like the way it turned out. So....I soaked all the bits-n-pieces in paint remover and settled for the un-painted metal look. I think it looks classier with the wood.

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    You did a really nice job on that - I'm curious - where did you acquire it to begin with?
    Gary

User Info Menu

looks great! nice job!

User Info Menu

Gary, you are certainly a master at restoration. Congratulations on rescuing another fine drum!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Man, thats beautiful! Hey if ya got any spare time I have a pair of CP's I would like refinished... haha just kidding

Do you refinish wood and stuff for a living?
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Kona, great resto job..looks like the screw location on pic #3 is right in repair area? not sure but looks like it, is that really secure?
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumRookie View Post
    Man, thats beautiful! Hey if ya got any spare time I have a pair of CP's I would like refinished... haha just kidding

Do you refinish wood and stuff for a living?
    Most stuff like that for anyone who has some fairly basic know-how is not terribly difficult, but it does take some patience. For doing a re-glue on that kind of thing, I'm not sure how Kona did it, but after cleaning and filling the crack, I'd use ratcheting straps to clamp it - it's stave construction so you'd need to use a method that pulled evenly and toward the center.

As for the refinish of the hardware, there are a couple of things a person could do. doing a basic buff-down can be done a number of different ways but for really caked on grime a wire wheel and a buffer does a pretty good job.

For the wood, it's just a process of deciding what your finish is going to be, and then doing a sanding, sealing, and top coats for finish. I like using lacquer - it's fairly easy to work with, even if it's not quite as hard and durable as a poly finish.

I'm no major woodworker either - just your average joe who can read and has the patience to follow directions.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Yes - you'er right about that screw. Maybe that's why, or part of the reason, this drum came apart in the first place. I really had no choice with the screw location - it's how the head fits the drum and how the '5 eared' counter ring lines up. If it comes apart again I'll maybe reinforce those two bolt holes.

I just used a 1/2" rope to wrap the drum up in and a couple of drumsticks to tighten/crank everything together. It worked fine...........so far.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    Kona, great resto job..looks like the screw location on pic #3 is right in repair area? not sure but looks like it, is that really secure?
    Gary

User Info Menu

Well the good thing is you did a great repair job...and with the hoops it should last quite awhile. and it still looks fantastic..and what a find when you least expect it. My wife goes garage selling all the time and always...always my last word before she leaves...
    " look for musical instruments and call me"!
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Looks great Gary! I love the old gonbops. I have some California series oak conga and tumba, with bongos I bought new in 1980. My Tumba split on a stave and I refinished and fixed the Tumba useing straps and Elmers Pro Bond wood glue.
    I have never seen a handle on a gonbop. I wonder if that was added on by the previous owner? That drum looks to be about 50 years old at least???
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

I'm waiting to hear from the folks at Gon Bops on the age. A member on the CongaPlace Forum said he thought it was 60's - 70's.

For sure the handle was added after factory.....I did NOT put it back on as you can see (holes below the nameplate). I asked the question on Congaplace.com and the two horizontal holes (not pictured here but they are on this drum with screws in place) are where you would mount a handle.

I love the California Series Oak drums - magnificent!
    I bought my Valjes only 3 years before you bought your drums......we're Vintage brothers!

GON BOPS and VALJES:
    As you may know Tom Flores and Mariano Bobaldilla started out building drums together.....Mariano the Gon Bops and Tom the Valjes....in the early 50's. Tom Flores's son Ralph is now making the original Valjes I understand.
    Don Lambardi bought Gon Bops in 2001. Akbar Moghaddam, (early Valje builder) got involved with Mr. Lambardi of DW and Alejandro Preze who worked in the orginal Gon Bops factory to help bring the Gon Bops dream together at DW drums = Valje and Gon Bops history - pretty cool I think.

Quote Originally Posted by VIbes View Post
    Looks great Gary! I love the old gonbops. I have some California series oak conga and tumba, with bongos I bought new in 1980. My Tumba split on a stave and I refinished and fixed the Tumba useing straps and Elmers Pro Bond wood glue.
    I have never seen a handle on a gonbop. I wonder if that was added on by the previous owner? That drum looks to be about 50 years old at least???
    Last edited by kona; 10-01-2011 at 02:03 PM.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Nice refinish, Kona.
    It looks very much like my first set of Gon Bops from the early 70s (circa '72)
    I loved the quinto on that set, wish I still had mine. Then I would have both Valjes and Gon Bops.

User Info Menu

They remind me of whisky barrels.

User Info Menu

I recommend to use 5/16 rod coupling nuts on the tuning hooks. I have replaced most of my tuning nuts with these rod couplings. This creates less wear on the tuning hooks because more threads are engaged with the tuning hook. A nut will have at most 3 threads and a rod coupling can have up to 14-16 threads.

I clean my old hardware with taps and dies and run a tap through the rod couplings as well.

I use Lithium grease on all threaded parts because it will not break down like other lube oils.

Nice Gon Bops, enjoy them.