Thread: 20" bass drum tuning help needed!

User Info Menu

Default 20" bass drum tuning help needed!

So I just switched to a 20" bass drum and I am having problems with tuning and feel. I tuned it to lowest possible note on the batter and it sounds great but the feel is so off. My bass drum beater feels like it just gets so absorbed into The head and doesn't have the rebound my 22" bass drum at lowest possible note has. Anyone have this problem and how did you overcome
    This?

Thanks
    2011 Gretsch Renown Maple Cobalt Fade Fusion
    1991 Premier Birch XPK Redwood Lacquer

Check out my Band!

http://www.theimperialband.com

User Info Menu

Default Re: 20" bass drum tuning help needed!

Is your reso ported and if so is it a large port? I have a 4" port on my 20" kick and it feels ok....
    my whopping 2 cents worth....

User Info Menu

Did you recenter your beater? If you want more bounce, go tighter on the batter. If it raises the pitch too much, go looser on the reso.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

No port on the reso

Check out my Band!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greyghost18t View Post
    No port on the reso
    no port means it should have even more bounce (than ported). you're moving less air 'out' of the drum when unported. so agree with previous post you have to tune up your batter tighter, and lower the pitch with reso (old saying "batter for feel, reso for pitch")

I switched to a 20 on another kit as well. I like it, but it for sure plays different than a larger kick, but more punch and definition

User Info Menu

My 20" has much less rebound than my 22". I tune the 20 batter to a medium tension and the reso to JUST above wrinkle. Recenter your beaters and you should be good to go. Got a nice low boom and good presence. Give it a shot.

User Info Menu

Another thing often overlooked on 20s - You get a much better sound if you do not center the beater. In general, the absolute worst spot on any drum to hit is dead center, as the resonance there is at a minimum. I place mine about 3" above center. That also helps me get a more firm feeling.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    Another thing often overlooked on 20s - You get a much better sound if you do not center the beater. In general, the absolute worst spot on any drum to hit is dead center, as the resonance there is at a minimum. I place mine about 3" above center. That also helps me get a more firm feeling.
    Is that right? I'll give it a shot.

User Info Menu

Just a thought, but it seems to me based one what you posted that you are trying to get the same sound and feel out of a 20" drum that you get out of a 22" - out of curiosity, why did you switch to the 20"?
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Wasn't trying to get The
    Same sound. Was trying to get the response better. Putting the beater up like was said worked out great

Check out my Band!