Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida- Iron Butterfly

User Info Menu

Default In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida- Iron Butterfly

Iron Butterfly, a late '60's psychedelic rock band from San Diego released their second album titled "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" in 1968 which became the 31st best selling album in the world. My mom bought this album for me when I was in my pre-teen years and up until that then, it was nothing but my older sister's Beatles albums and my mom's Neil Diamond albums.

The 17 minute title track "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" is laced heavy with B3 organ, electric guitar and a ripping bass line that is the trademark of the song. The beat changes midway on the track and the drums break into a tribal sounding drum solo which was totally out of place back then. If you listen to this track today, the song in my opinion still stands the test of time and it paved the way for other epic heavy rock tunes to grace the AM radio airwaves of the late '60s and early '70's.

User Info Menu

Default Re: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida- Iron Butterfly

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post

Iron Butterfly, a late '60's psychedelic rock band from San Diego released their second album titled "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" in 1968 which became the 31st best selling album in the world. My mom bought this album for me when I was in my pre-teen years and up until that then, it was nothing but my older sister's Beatles albums and my mom's Neil Diamond albums.

The 17 minute title track "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" is laced heavy with B3 organ, electric guitar and a ripping bass line that is the trademark of the song. The beat changes midway on the track and the drums break into a tribal sounding drum solo which was totally out of place back then. If you listen to this track today, the song in my opinion still stands the test of time and it paved the way for other epic heavy rock tunes to grace the AM radio airwaves of the late '60s and early '70's.
    Great tune. I was introduced to Iron Butterfly at a young age (only 31 now) by my dad who was a big fan. I saw a documentary that talked about this song specifically and it's rumored that the title was something that came about in a silly sort of way.

Apparently the singer of IB had come up with a new song and went to band rehearsal drunk. He got the rest of the band to play the basic beat and then came in with his lyrics, drunkenly saying, "In the Garden of Eden, baby" which in his slurred tongue was "In-a-gadda-da-vida, baby". I don't know how true this is but it's what I heard in this particular show.
    PDP 5 piece - 12/13/16/14/22
    16" Sabian AA Medium Thin Crash
    14" No-Name Hats
    21" TRX LTD Crash/Ride
    19" Zildjian A Custom Projection Crash

User Info Menu

That is absolutely one of my favorite songs of all time, and before my time on this ol' earth is done I would like to play the drums to that song. I can still listen to that song and have life's troubles just fade away for a while. Thanks for bringing it up Rich!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dagon2000 View Post
    Great tune. I was introduced to Iron Butterfly at a young age (only 31 now) by my dad who was a big fan. I saw a documentary that talked about this song specifically and it's rumored that the title was something that came about in a silly sort of way.

Apparently the singer of IB had come up with a new song and went to band rehearsal drunk. He got the rest of the band to play the basic beat and then came in with his lyrics, drunkenly saying, "In the Garden of Eden, baby" which in his slurred tongue was "In-a-gadda-da-vida, baby". I don't know how true this is but it's what I heard in this particular show.
    Cool story. I didn't know the circumstances (of being drunk) behind the title of the album. What a fluke! The drum solo was long enough for me to play along to on a table top or a couch cushion and my desire to get a kit was born from listening to this song. After realizing how long it was, I sought out other albums with drum laden tracks hoping to find drum solos buried within the song. Harry Neilson's "Jump Into the Fire" is one that comes to mind. Nifty little drum solo followed by a cool bass line.
    Last edited by late8; 09-30-2011 at 01:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    That is absolutely one of my favorite songs of all time, and before my time on this ol' earth is done I would like to play the drums to that song. I can still listen to that song and have life's troubles just fade away for a while. Thanks for bringing it up Rich!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Cool story. I didn't know the circumstances (of being drunk) behind the title of the album. What a fluke! The drum solo was long enough for me to play along to on a table top or a couch cushion and my desire to get a kit was born from listening to this song. After realizing how long it was, I sought out other albums with drum laden tracks hoping to find drum solos buried within the song. Harry Neilson's "Jump Into the Fire" is one that comes to mind. Nifty little drum solo followed by a cool bass line.
    I don't think it's recommended to come into band rehearsal drunk. 99.9% of the time you WON'T come up with a hit song.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumRookie View Post
    I don't think it's recommended to come into band rehearsal drunk. 99.9% of the time you WON'T come up with a hit song.
    Being drunk was the least of their issues back then!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Thats what I was missing! Thanks Pastor_Bob!
    *ahem*

" don't think it's recommended to come into band rehearsal drunk, while on drugs, if your high, etc... 99.9% of the time you WON'T come up with a hit song.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Oh man does that album bring back memories.
    Bought mine when I was a sophmore in high school, and still have it.
    Must have lifted the needle 10,000 times to try and get the solo down.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PopsOldSkins View Post
    Oh man does that album bring back memories.
    Bought mine when I was a sophmore in high school, and still have it.
    Must have lifted the needle 10,000 times to try and get the solo down.
    Me, too, on the high school thing. I just wish that I had been playing drums back then, because I'd have the solo down by now.

User Info Menu

You guys made me go dig that album out....Yes I still have it, it's in great condition, but I don't have a record player anymore, so I couldn't listen to it. WOW what memories.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderjig View Post
    You guys made me go dig that album out....Yes I still have it, it's in great condition, but I don't have a record player anymore, so I couldn't listen to it. WOW what memories.
    I gotta record player, send er' over! lol jk
    Still hanging onto it huh? I imagine that would be worth something on ebay..
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-

User Info Menu

I heard it had something to do with them trippin on acid(lsd)

but back then to be considered a awesome drummer in our teens you had to be able to play wipeout and in a gadda or toad.

User Info Menu

Fond memories. Pretty much the benchmark of a happening drummer in my naborhood...being able to play the solo from In a Gada-da-vida and Wipeout. As to the song title, I have heard that story also myself. Who knows? It defininately appears to a mis-pronounciation of A Garden Of Eden.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Great song, great riff, at the time the song was "far out!" to say the least. I have that record too!

User Info Menu

I remember playing that record for my dad and he said of the drum solo, "That doesn't sound that hard."

User Info Menu

I heard that one of the band members (besides the singer), wrote the song lyrics, and sang it to the singer, and when he heard it he misinterpreted the line " in the garden of Eden". He thought that's what it sounded like to him when it was originally sang to him, and they liked it better and kept it that way.
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

I was fortunate enough to find a brand new copy of "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" on vinyl at my local record store a few years ago. Still have it in pristine condition

Oh and here is a performance of the song that they did back in the 60's. It sounds like the studio track and they are just playing over it but cool either way. First music video??

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIVe-rZBcm4&list=PLFC1F2DD315BA117E&index=13&feature=pl pp_video"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIVe-rZBcm4&list=PLFC1F2DD315BA117E&index=13&feature=pl pp_video[/ame]
    "If you're going to start with melody you'll need some tympani, I think" - Gene Krupa

User Info Menu

You think ina gada vi da is weird you should listen to ' Butterfly Blues' on their Metamorphosis album.The guitars and drums are excellent and the whole album is one of their greates work ever. Just thought that I would mention that.

User Info Menu

ick. i cant listen to it. its a bad acid trip.
    i did see a talent show roster once where one contestant signed up and listed his talent as: "will play Inna Godda Da Vida (long version) on buttcheeks"
    i knew the guy, strange bird
    never showed up and i lost all respect
    true friggin story

User Info Menu

It's a great tune, orchastraited well and an icon for sure. This said, it's Iron Butterflys one hit wonder when compared to the rest of their work.

User Info Menu

Great song. Got me pining for the good old days. Totally analog high energy jamming. I wish they had instruments like that around. Dig that VOX organ! Couldn't get a make on that guitar. It looked to me like he had timbales for toms or maybe wood hooped snare shells with the resos gone. Awesome sounding drums. Great solo. My fave part is the tom and rim groove after the solo that brings in that eerie organ.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I've always liked the drum solo, but, if you really listen to it, it is not a technically difficult solo.

What makes it work so well is it's the right solo for the song.

User Info Menu

Hair was an issue.

User Info Menu

Before bass player Lee Dorman passed...R.I.P.