Thread: Hand Drummers? Conga, Djembe...

User Info Menu

Default Hand Drummers? Conga, Djembe...

Wondering if we're all drumset players in here or if some hand drummers have joined on yet? Anyone use percussion as part of their set? I use a timbale to the left of me where a lot of drummers use an alternate snare. And of course a cowbell. ----More Cowbell! Whoo-hoo!

User Info Menu

yuck....i hate cowbell....no offense...just not my thing...i love the timble though....i don't have one but i do have a set of congas...I love the congas!!

User Info Menu

i know how to play jembe...sorta...and i LOVE jungle drums: toms, bongos, congas...anything like that...frekin incorperate a moderate triangle or soft crash builld....oooh wow....too bad im poor!!
    When drummers are away from their instruments, which is quite often, they often resort to air drumming. Although often distracting to others, playing air drums provides drummers with a mental practice session that can help a great deal.

User Info Menu

Djembe...? What ju talkin' about, Willis ?

User Info Menu

I have a seperate setup from my trap kit that has 2 congas, 2 bongos, a djembe, an ashiko, and 2 timbales. Very, very FUN to play!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum
    I have a seperate setup from my trap kit that has 2 congas, 2 bongos, a djembe, an ashiko, and 2 timbales. Very, very FUN to play!
    Sweet!!! I play Congas and Bongos as well. I just recently played the Congas at church and they loved it. Even the keyboard player said that it made things funky for a change. I had one of the kids playing the drums while I played congas. I want to learn the djembe and African drumming.

Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

The djembe and ashiko are soooo much fun to play because you can get a lot of different sounds and tones out of one drum. I would recommend going with a solid wood african made one, but Remo makes a good djembe with a synthetic head for a lot less $. The ony drawback is a little loss of tone control.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum
    The djembe and ashiko are soooo much fun to play because you can get a lot of different sounds and tones out of one drum. I would recommend going with a solid wood african made one, but Remo makes a good djembe with a synthetic head for a lot less $. The ony drawback is a little loss of tone control.

Thanks for the info. I think after I get my kit situation completed, I will get me one of them for Christmas...LOL!!!!

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

I agree Utopia the cowbell is kind of odd, and doesn't fit with alot of what I play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drummer4Him
    Thanks for the info. I think after I get my kit situation completed, I will get me one of them for Christmas...LOL!!!!
    Make sure you get one with at least a 10" head. You can't get a decent bass sound out of anything less. 12" is perfect. It gives you a deep booming bass while still capturing the highs of playing the rim. 14"s are only good for bass notes. Also, I have found that goatskin and calfskin heads are the most resonant. Good luck! I know you will become addicted after playing one for 5 min. I know I did!

User Info Menu

And study proper technique with someone. You'll go a lot further with it.

User Info Menu

I agree with Drum Bum and Drummer. When I get set up, I am definately going to take that advice. I have seen those djembe which are huge, but never really sat down and messed with one. I just really want to get the good training on it, so I wont sound too bad...LOL!!!

User Info Menu

Very true Drummer! Technique is very important. You will find that you don't really beat on them like you think you would.

When I started playing, I had no idea how to get the sounds I wanted out of 1 drum. I eventually developed a style & technique all my own. The prominent drum teacher in this area says I play Afro-Egypt-Fusion-Tech, whatever that means. I prefer to call myself a lead drummer as I usually am in constant solo over other drums. There are a few basic techniques for each genre of drumming, so listen to them to find what you like. You will develop your own over time. There are some "lead" drumming techniques (waterdrop, gravel, octave bend) that noone will be able to teach you. You will probably find those on your own.

Most importantly - DO'NT HOLD BACK! You will find ways to express yourself that you cannot do on a drumset.

Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Cool Hand Drummers? Conga, Djembe...

You'd never guess from my member name that I dig hand drums, would you? I have two pair of CP congas (black fiberglass and red wooden); two pair of bongos (LP Professional III and Meino); a Remo tumba; a djembe; a doumbek and the usual assortment of small accessories.

My playing style is a fusion (pun intended) of '50's bop, '60's rock and Afro-Cuban jazz which I've used in everything from folk music to contemporary Christian music to rock and country.

While I can play a set, to me, there is nothing cooler than playing hand drums and getting sounds from two hands and the drumheads...

And finally there's a place I can hang out with my fellow hand drummers!

User Info Menu

Lightbulb Hand Drummers? Conga, Djembe...

BTW, I was reading some of your posts, and drummer, you reminded me of a very important point:

I began studying drumset in 1984 (at age 32) because I wanted to play like a pro, and the first bongo instruction book I picked up said specifically to learn the rudiments with a good professional teacher. Man, that made all the difference!

User Info Menu

Yea i play djembe i used to gt lessons from this kl hippi dude at this leisure centre thing, i learned the basics and took it from there.