Thread: Abraxas - Santana

User Info Menu

Default Abraxas - Santana

Along with their appearance at Woodstock in 1969, this 1970 album, Abraxas, was the perfect followup to their 1969 self-titled album, Santana. It went quintuple platinum here in the U.S., and contained the hits Black Magic Woman, Oye Como Va, and Samba Pa Ti. If you were in high school in 1970, singing Black Magic Woman and Oye Como Va was nearly a rite of passage.

Santana blended Rock and Latin sounds along with Carlos Santana's soul piercing solos. With a lineup that has changed through the years, Santana has launched the careers of a number of great musicians.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Abraxas - Santana

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    ...If you were in high school in 1970, singing Black Magic Woman and Oye Como Va was nearly a rite of passage...
    Not only in your times, PB, but when I was also in my music college days in 2003-4, there were a few of us that put together a Latin band (in fact we were the only Latin band in a college full of rock and metal players, and not only did we play 'Oye Como Va', but everyone in that band would sing it as we played our instruments, even though I would not be what you'd call a halfway decent singer, lol. And 'Black Magic Woman' was probably one of the first few songs I had sat in as a drummer when I got introduced to my good drummer mate Gene and all his crew about a decade ago, whom I still jam on a regular basis.....I think I shocked them when they found a guy who actually knew how the play the song pretty much with the right feel and drum breaks!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Oh man another great album I still have.

PB your making my brain work overtime

Gregg Rolie was a master of writing songs for Carlos.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

This is one of the greatest of all time. It had to have been a blast recording this album. So artistic in every way.

User Info Menu

"Samba Pa Ti" is one of my favorite cuts from this album. It give me goosebumps when Carlos's guitar comes in at the top of the song. I discovered "Mother's Daughter", the track before "Samba Pa Ti" by accident from countless sloppy needle drops as I tried to cue up the track. Thanks for posting this one PB!

User Info Menu

One of my "go to" records when I was about 5. I think it was one of the ones where I would put the needle on and let it go. The album cover alone is beautiful