Thread: Steely Dan - Aja

User Info Menu

Default Steely Dan - Aja

I've always said this album is a clinic in pop drumming, even if you take away Steve Gadd's work on the title track. (Which you would never do because, well, it's Steve Gadd.) Several different guys played on it and one of the great things about the album is the variety of drum playing.

I also love that Becker and Fagan seem to prize really good drum parts and let them stand out in the mix.

And even though this isn't a guitar forum, they also always have great guitar parts and get great players to play them.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Steely Dan--Aja

Gadd is the shiz! Saw the Dan a month ago or so and Keith Carrlock was smokin!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Steely Dan--Aja

Gadd a well-known great, but Bernard Purdie's on this one too, some great parts on this and other Steely albums. He's the most recorded drummer.....These session guys must have great jobs...get a call, go in, listen to a piece, lay down a beat, and get paid, and grow yoru reputation.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Steely Dan - Aja

" These session guys must have great jobs...get a call, go in, listen to a piece, lay down a beat, and get paid, and grow yoru reputation."

It's not that easy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    " These session guys must have great jobs...get a call, go in, listen to a piece, lay down a beat, and get paid, and grow yoru reputation."

It's not that easy.
    LOL Yeah, let's just talk about the pressure involved!

Awesome album, though! I don't think there was any Steely Dan album that I didn't love.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Pressure for sure. Have you guys seen them with Carrlock. He's the first drummer they have ever used live, and on album(exclusively). That's says a lot!

User Info Menu

So who added the pic of the album to my post?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deedubs! View Post
    Pressure for sure. Have you guys seen them with Carrlock. He's the first drummer they have ever used live, and on album(exclusively). That's says a lot!
    From what I remember reading though, Jim Hodder, Steely Dan's first drummer, is on both the first two albums, "Can't Buy A Thrill" and "Countdown To Ecstasy" and had been on the road with them in the early 70's before Walter Becker and Donald Fagen halted touring a live band and then started bringing in studio players such as Jim Gordon and Jeff Porcaro on the next album, "Pretzel Logic".
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    From what I remember reading though, Jim Hodder, Steely Dan's first drummer, is on both the first two albums, "Can't Buy A Thrill" and "Countdown To Ecstasy" and had been on the road with them in the early 70's before Walter Becker and Donald Fagen halted touring a live band and then started bringing in studio players such as Jim Gordon and Jeff Porcaro on the next album, "Pretzel Logic".
    Well done sir!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fjsjr45 View Post
    So who added the pic of the album to my post?
    I did. Don't worry, I won't bill ya.

User Info Menu

That's cool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post

It's not that easy.
    well sure, I never said it was "easy". i just said that it was a "great job" not an easy job.

User Info Menu

I recently started listening to Steely Dan after hearing about Bernard Purdie, so I got Royal Scam and Aja (so I could hear Gadd) and fell in love with Steely Dan.

I like Royal Scam better than Aja, but like Pastor Bob said, there isn't a Steely Dan album I don't love. Can't Buy A Thrill is also a big favourite.
    Last edited by stick clicker; 10-03-2011 at 03:29 PM. Reason: spelling
    Current Set-Up - Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz, Paiste Signature

Damaru - The drum of Shiva.

Hows my drumming? http://soundcloud.com/bilton-grange

Say Hi - http://www.facebook.com/biltongrangemusic

User Info Menu

Here is a great article on Steely Dan Drummers.
    http://granatino.com/sdresource/md1.htm
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

What a brilliant band! Every release has awesome attributes, no matter who is on the drums. I replaced all my Steely vinyl for the Citizen Dan box set. I have most on cd, but had to have the box set. I think my overall favorite is The Royal Scam, just something about it.

User Info Menu

Yeah I think 'Kid Charlemagne' is their best song ever. And talk about a nice groove!

User Info Menu

Steve Gadd's epic ending on the title song, "Aja" is incredible!

User Info Menu

This album is groovin!

User Info Menu

Keltner does a great job on "Josie" as well. And Rick Marotta's on "Peg". But yep, not a dud track on this album.

Besides the Steely Dan albums that were released between the early 1970's to very early 80's, I also scored on CD a compilation called "Remastered - The Best Of Steely Dan Then And Now", which has a non-album track called "FM". (That track is also in the "Citizen Steely Dan" box set, by the way). Jeff Porcaro played on it.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySticks View Post
    Yeah I think 'Kid Charlemagne' is their best song ever. And talk about a nice groove!
    Larry Carlton takes the guitar solo credit on this one. Widely considered by guitar players to be the best guitar solo ever recorded.