Thread: Cable question

User Info Menu

Default Cable question

I have a question, it's supposed to be long, but my fingers are tired.. I'll condense it as much as possible.

I bought an interface blah blah blah I'll leave out the unimportant stuff.
    Main thing that you need to know for this post is that it has 2 (or 3?) TRS 1/4 inputs.

I'll be getting 2 cheap mics, and making my own subkick..

My main question is, I'm going to be using a XLR to TRS cable (xlr end into mic, trs into interface), but while I was researching I found out the cable that was in my price range that I was planning on buying had a TRS mono (with out the ring thing and all that). I was wondering if it's important if I was going to mic or snare with that cable rigged up (micing a snare for instance), would pose some issues if the sound came out in mono. It's all going into one mix anyways though.

But the very main question I think I know the answer too is:

If the mono cable plugs into the mic and then into the interface, records into a software (oh yeah, the entire kit would be recorded in one shot with all the other mics on), can I just select the channel that has the mic micing the snare and split the track and have one of the channels moved all the way to the left, and the other to the right, and have a stereo sound?
    I'll be getting a Tascam US-122L interface if that helps.

Or should I avoid that process and just get a stereo XLR to TRS 1/4 cable?

(I typed wayyy too much than I wanted to)
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cable question

XLR to balanced TRS is what you want

this has preamp gain right?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cable question

Every Mic cable is mono unless you have a stereo mic. All the inputs are mono. Let's say if you have 4 mics. Snare, Kick, Left and Right oveheads.
    After you record you can Pan your Snare and kick in the middle and your left and Right Overheads to left and right thus giving you a stereo mix.
    If you use 2 mics. One over head more on the snare side and one in front of the kit you can slightly pan them L & R for some depth.
    But to answer your question. 99% of the time all mics and cables are single input mono. After you record you can pan the mono track however you want.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by VIbes; 10-03-2011 at 10:06 AM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red