• Buddy Rich

69 79.31%
  • Neil Peart

18 20.69%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buddy Rich Vs Neil Paert

User Info Menu

Default Buddy Rich Vs Neil Paert

So, who's it gonna be? You do you think is the "better" drummer. I perosnally vote for Buddy - even though Neil can do most, if not all the things Buddy could do - Buddy just seems smoother and better at it - makes you think he could do and play anything.

What do you guys think?
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

buddy rich..no contest

User Info Menu

I would have to believe that it is Buddy Rich, if only because he made a small kit sound big. But my gut says it would be very close!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

They are both phenomenal drummers, but Buddy has pretty much paved the way for all us drummers. His skill & his technique is absolutely flawless, his speed is flat out ridiculous and smooth even at blazing speeds, Neil Peart is great, but even Neil would say Buddy smokes him.

User Info Menu

Seems to general consus so far is Buddy - leading 5 to none at the moment - I wonder if anyone is gonna rescue Neil?

Anyone seen that video on youtube of Buddy Rich doing the Solo when he looks like he is about 70? Still faster than most peope dream of and fluid as ever - guy is absolutely amazing.

If they call Neil "The Professor" - then what do we call Buddy? God?

Also did you guys know he never recieved any formal lessons and refused to practice outside of his performances? So basically the guy was not actually taught, and wouldn't practise and is still considered one of if not the greatets drummer fo all time.

User Info Menu

pfff buddy, almost everything he does is unique, not saying neil isn't a unique drummer, but buddy more so.

User Info Menu

From what you guys tell me. Im swinging from neil to buddy....

Buddy it is.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I prefer Buddys style.

User Info Menu

buddy!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger
    even though Neil can do most, if not all the things Buddy could do -
    That's factually incorrect. Ask Neil himself. He'll tell you. Buddy's playing, technically speaking, was leaps and bounds beyond Neil Peart's. This is not to slam Neil Peart. I have the utmost respect for him, his drumming style, and what he's accomplished. But he is no where even close to the level that Buddy was.

User Info Menu

holy crap..buddy's sticks just dance on his drums.. http://youtube.com/watch?v=2X3meL51Dkg

User Info Menu

I voted for Buddy he paved the way for all us drummers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by michiganice
    holy crap..buddy's sticks just dance on his drums.. http://youtube.com/watch?v=2X3meL51Dkg
    Anyone notice how he has the snare angled away from himself? How many do that? And how's about the little rim to snare bit he does at about the 4 minute mark? Man he most definately paved the way - pity he didn't go into the world of double kick.

Drummer - what I was saying is that Neil most likely could replicate, in his own way, alot of the solos and songs that Buddy played. I wasn't saying he played things the same way Buddy could, which is a part of the reason that Buddy seems more fluid and natural about how he does things. As for what Neil would say, we can only speculate because he aint here to say it.

unless he is.............

User Info Menu

Buddy Rich, he was just amazing, Neil is good, but Buddy was better...
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!

User Info Menu

Buddy Rich was also refered by many old schooled As Super rich in-fact their is A Album Name Super Rich that came with A Book Titled
    Super Rich ,I do own this Rare limited Edition: Buddy Is Light Years From Neil,Neil is A Good Artistic drummer as well ,But Buddy rich Pure Genius.amazing technique Very Smooth -Very Clean FAST,& really understood
    Accents.rhythm,dynamics,tone,Just new the Music with Great awareness to His Great Musicians .as you all Know The Man could really swing.
    Last edited by STICKSWIZZARDDRAGON; 01-21-2008 at 09:29 PM. Reason: added a word

User Info Menu

i have to go with buddy. but i do have to call a foulacy on the never practiceing myth he practiced for a month before he could play west side story and he said so himself, so that one is a myth but no lessons it true.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Better? Better at what? Rock? Mr. Peart. ... Jazz? Mr. Rich.

Im a rock drummer. I dont like jazz. I dont like listening to or even watching jazz drummers. Its not appealing to me.
    I can appreciate their talent, but its not my thing.

Buddy Rich is a god to drumming. No question... all drumming. But Neil Peart is a god to rock drumming as well.
    There are many players now, who I think out play both of them.... but their infulence on drumming has been surpassed by few, if any.

As for Buddy's snare being angled away from him... thats pretty common for jazz players. If you hold your sticks in the traditional manner, having your snare angled back, makes it feel much more natural.

Please feel to flame away. Im a big boy... I can take it. LOL

Matt
    Matt G.
    Hitting my drums, like they owe me money!
    My Myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/fatdog1969
    Vegas Drummers: http://www.myspace.com/vegasdrummers
    I Proudly Play:
    PAISTE
    SONOR
    EVANS
    SILVERFOX
    SNAREHORSE

User Info Menu

Neil because I love rock music :D
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Neil Peart is a great drummer, but I wouldn't even put him in the top ten I don't think. He is a rock drummer! Jazz is drummers art! Mediocre jazz starts where the best rock playing ends. Funny how I've been on this site a couple of months, never once heard the names Billy cobham, Tony Williams, Elvin Jones etc... ever come up. What about Max Poach, Jack DeJohnette, Louis Bellson? Basically forgotten because they are not top ten hit parade drummers. Anyways all that to say this...Buddy Rich is to the drums what Mozart was to classical music. A prodigy in the truest sense. A talent that comes along every so many centuries. Buddy was playing the Vaudeville circuit at 4 years old with his parents. At 7 he was billed as traps the wonder kid, and appeared in a Ludwig catalogue circa 1933. Never a lesson. Could not even read much less read music. Never practiced, Could sing every instrument part in his band for every song. And drove big band standards at breakneck tempos that made even the greats dizzy. None of these Neil Peart can claim to, not to say that he is not an accomplished player (of course he is) He is a well studied and regimented drummer and it shows in his playing. He plays many honed and polished chops so to speak. Imagine for a moment that music is the world. Guys, heavy metal is just one small country in that world. We all need to expand our horizons. There is so much incredible
    art out there.

all the best...

User Info Menu

In the mid-70s when I was a teenager and didn't know any better, Neil Peert was God. Oh, the amazing chops. I smoked some pot back then. I matured as a musician and heard the really good drummers, and realized the guy is a one-schtick wonder, and his tempo and feel leave a lot to be desired.

Buddy Rich was the man.
    No, I still won't play Wipe Out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Utsmelz View Post
    I matured as a musician and heard the really good drummers, and realized the guy is a one-schtick wonder, and his tempo and feel leave a lot to be desired.
    I completely disagree.

His chops, his feel and his timing are all way beyond that of 99% of the "drummers" on the planet.

I agree that there are players... MANY of them, who have vastly more amazing skill... but suggesting that after 40 years of playing, Neil really isnt any good, is just misguided.

Matt
    Matt G.
    Hitting my drums, like they owe me money!
    My Myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/fatdog1969
    Vegas Drummers: http://www.myspace.com/vegasdrummers
    I Proudly Play:
    PAISTE
    SONOR
    EVANS
    SILVERFOX
    SNAREHORSE

ThePloughman Guest

I think neil is more precisely technical than buddy. Buddy is a better player. And buddy was very precisely technical, and he always kept that aire of flamboyancy. I think that stage charisma Buddy displayed throughout his career..... helped him to achieve the almost godlike status he has long after his death. He also had the personality of a toad. I think Neil is by far the better person.
    Last edited by ThePloughman; 01-20-2008 at 11:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Buddy no contest !

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    That's factually incorrect. Ask Neil himself. He'll tell you. Buddy's playing, technically speaking, was leaps and bounds beyond Neil Peart's. This is not to slam Neil Peart. I have the utmost respect for him, his drumming style, and what he's accomplished. But he is no where even close to the level that Buddy was.

Thats how I see it Drummer!
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Buddy was the inovater to which most superstar drummers like Peart aspired to be. That is why i voted for him. The one drummer I think comes closest to filling Buddies shoes I think is Steve Smith. He can certainly pulls off Buddys music the best that I have heard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Neil Peart is a great drummer, but I wouldn't even put him in the top ten I don't think. He is a rock drummer! Jazz is drummers art! Mediocre jazz starts where the best rock playing ends. Funny how I've been on this site a couple of months, never once heard the names Billy cobham, Tony Williams, Elvin Jones etc... ever come up. What about Max Poach, Jack DeJohnette, Louis Bellson? Basically forgotten because they are not top ten hit parade drummers. Anyways all that to say this...Buddy Rich is to the drums what Mozart was to classical music. A prodigy in the truest sense. A talent that comes along every so many centuries. Buddy was playing the Vaudeville circuit at 4 years old with his parents. At 7 he was billed as traps the wonder kid, and appeared in a Ludwig catalogue circa 1933. Never a lesson. Could not even read much less read music. Never practiced, Could sing every instrument part in his band for every song. And drove big band standards at breakneck tempos that made even the greats dizzy. None of these Neil Peart can claim to, not to say that he is not an accomplished player (of course he is) He is a well studied and regimented drummer and it shows in his playing. He plays many honed and polished chops so to speak. Imagine for a moment that music is the world. Guys, heavy metal is just one small country in that world. We all need to expand our horizons. There is so much incredible
    art out there.

all the best...
    I love it *Some of those CATS Are Great HOt PASIONATE ARTIST.
    I love them all .But then I really am Very Extremxxx Within Progressive,
    Improvisatonal .JAZZ/Rock/Fussion/Metal/Latin *JAZZ**its ALL Great .