Thread: Drum Rudiments

User Info Menu

Default Drum Rudiments

Hi ive played drums for a few years and i keep hearing and reading about the benifits of rudiments ive never spent time practicisng them what are the benifits of them and whats the best way to start

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Rudiments

Vic Firth has a pretty good "rudimental rituals" drum series on youtube.
    But I would first find a chart of the 40 essential rudiments and practice them until you drop. ALWAY ALWAYS ALWAYS start at a slower tempo WITH a metronome and work your way up. Thats the only way you will get faster with them. I would say spend a good amount of your time on practicing the rudiments. They're everywhere in drumming like you would not believe. When I started out, I listened to music and did this cool thing (1 quiet note followed by 1 loud note) and I heard them a lot. Little did I know (until I started realizing how fundamentally important rudiments were and started to learn them, and how boring they were lol) that that was called a Flam.
    I just am really trying to push myself to learn this stuff, and it's a struggle for me even when I practice rudiments to want to rush and skip the metronome up to 90.
    I still struggle with it (I just concluded that I have to practice the rudiments sooo much, if I want to reach my personal goal, which was last week that I decided on doing it).
    They are very important and will come into play later on, and once you start to play with them around the kit, you realize how fun they are when applying them. The work is soooooo worth the reward.
    Boring, sort of (or a lot of).
    Essential? More than you know it!

Oh, and make sure you are not making any bad habits with your sticking. Thats very important to get up to speed. And exercise the wrists until they're sore.
    Good luck man!
    Last edited by DrumRookie; 10-04-2011 at 08:28 PM.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

thanks alot man i had a book filled with them but this was about 3 years ago and have no idea where it is need to go find it, and i think ill have my drums set up again in a month or so:D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    thanks alot man i had a book filled with them but this was about 3 years ago and have no idea where it is need to go find it, and i think ill have my drums set up again in a month or so:D
    You can just download them on a sheet of paper for now and practice them on a practice pad or your knee's (painful, but after doing it a while it gets calloused) or something with a metronome.
    Now that I read this I'm starting to get motivated to work on them right now, and work at them better. So actually, thank you!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

cheers i found the website its good once i get my music room im gonna print a bunch of them off and use it as my warm up