Thread: Grace Under Pressure - Rush

User Info Menu

Default Grace Under Pressure - Rush

Rush's 1984 album 'Grace Under Pressure' was really my introduction to probably one of the most influential drummers in rock music, Neil Peart, and his bandmates bassist, keyboardist and vocalist Geddy Lee, and guitarist Alex Lifeson. Since that day, I have pretty much been a fan of all their releases, from their debut album 'Rush' (with original drummer John Rutsey) to 2007's 'Snakes & Arrows'. But this album, for me, still has an important place in the band's 40+ year history. Although 'Permanent Waves' (1980) was the start of the band departing away from their longer song times, 'Moving Pictures' (1981) was album that put them way up in the charts with the stadium staples "Tom Sawyer" and "Limelight", and 'Signals' (1982) might have been the start of their 80's synthesizer-based period, 'Grace Under Pressure' is really the album that set the blueprint of a band which showed that although they started in the days of 70's progressive-rock, they weren't afraid to embrace the writing, technology and styles of the emergent new wave period, synthesize that with their song writing approach and still have a band identity that was theirs and theirs alone.

Production wise, it was the first album in which they departed from long time producer Terry Brown ("Broon"), and they had Peter Henderson produce the album (as a replacement for U2's producer Steve Lillywhite). Sonically, apart from the keyboards that bassist Geddy Lee had been using more and more since the previous albums, this was the first album in which Neil Peart also embraced electronics in the (hexagonal) shape of Simmons electronic drums and literally surround himself with both acoustic and electronic drums and percussion. Even Alex Lifeson's guitar sound and playing was morphing more around this time, as the band were now showing how much New Wave groups of the 80's such as The Police and Talking Heads were as much an influence on them as their earlier heroes such as Led Zeppelin and Cream were. Lyrically, it is also some of the most darkest writing of Peart's (as he is their main guy when it comes to lyrics)....songs about foreboding times ("Distant Early Warning", "The Enemy Within"), personal loss ("Afterimage"), a sci-fi allusion to The Holocaust ("Red Sector A"), or how people react to pressure, whether self-inflicted or caused by other ("The Body Electric" and "Between The Wheels"). No, you won't find many simple love songs on a Rush album (they have done a few, trust me, lol), but if you want some thought provoking lyrics together with some intelligently written prog music (along with some challenging drum parts, as always), then this is a must have album to have in any serious music collection.

Some trivia:

*First album where Neil Peart started using electronic as well as acoustic drums.

*Cover art by Hugh Syme, a long time collaborator of Rush, who has done various additional keyboard parts for some albums, as well as their cover art. The "p/g" lettering on the right of the album cover stands for "pressure/grace", hence "grace under pressure." And yes, you're not seeing things, there is an eye and some teeth in that 'mountainscape'! On the vinyl and some CD gatefolds, there is also a picture of an egg in a clamp, referring to pressure once again. The band photo at the back of the vinyl album and CD was taken by famed Canadian-Armenian photographer Yousuf Karsh, someone who was far more used to taking portraits of royalty and dignitaries like Winston Churchill rather than rock musicians!

*Only Rush album produced by Peter Henderson. It was another Peter, Peter Collins, that produced their later 80's albums. In fact the "Roger Kneebend" they refer to in the album credits was a dummy they put in the producer's chair as an in-joke when they were going through a number of producers before Henderson arrived and were being frustrated, according to author Bill Banasiewicz (referred to as the "B-Man" in the same album liner notes).
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Default Re: Grace Under Pressure - Rush

Nice review. I saw on VH1 'Rush in Rio' which was filmed not that long ago and I really enjoyed how much the Brazilians got into the music. It was their first visit ever. I'd also forgotten just how good a guitar player Lifeson is.

There is also on VH1 on a rotating basis a 2 hour Rush bio, which has a large segment devoted to the time Neil's wife and daughter died sort of back to back and he took off on his motorcycle for months and months.

The big question is: should Rush be in the Rock Hall?

My answer: Yes.

User Info Menu

Nice review. Although most diehard fans see Grace as the beginning of the end (until recently) of good Rush albums I still think it's a great album. While they did make a change in their sound, I personally don't feel this album is a "weak" effort and seems like a fairly logical extension to Signals (which I love). The guitar is still there playing an important role, even if it's a different role than on earlier albums, and as you said there's some strong lyrical content.

For me Power Windows was a much weaker effort, and contrary to many fans I'm not really a fan of Hold Your Fire or Presto either. To me Grace was a better album than those. For me Counterparts is really where they got going again.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Excellent review and very informative

Personally got in to Rush with 2112, an excellent album. Still have it in my old collection of vinyl.
    I am a fan of Hold Your Fire (bought on a tape).
    Liked this one, not as much as 2112, but a fine piece of work.
    Liked your comments about the cover - had spotted the eye before, but not the teeth - like I said very informative. Thanks
    Cheers

Lionheart

User Info Menu

Grace Under Pressure is one of my Favorite Rush Albums.
    Distant Early Warning ,Afterimage , Red Sector A , The Enemy Within , Kid Gloves , Between the Wheels , so many great songs on that album.

User Info Menu

Great review Drumbledore! I agree with Kaosotis. I like Grace Under Pressure a lot, definitely more than next several albums. It has a darker sound than a lot of their other stuff, which I like.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySticks View Post
    The big question is: should Rush be in the Rock Hall?
    They are! Look up the list of 2013 inductees.
    Matt