Thread: New Snare Tama SP1455

User Info Menu

Default New Snare Tama SP1455

Found an awesome deal on this beauty the other day and thought about it for a day or two. For your viewing pleasure I present a Tama SP1455 14" x 5.5" bronze snare with brass mighty hoops from the signature series. This is a Simon Phillips "Gladiator" model. I picked up this un-played gem (brand new in the box, with papers, t-shirt and drum key) for $150. Haven't had a chance to play with tuning and changing out the head to my favorite (Evans HD Dry) brand yet, so when that is done, I'll fill you in on how it sounds. I feel like I just robbed a bank!

PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Snare Tama SP1455

Very nice score! Can't wait for the feedback after you spend a little qt!

User Info Menu

I texted my lead guitar player and told him to wear his adult incontinence undergarments to practice next week. He will definitely soil himself when he hears this drum cutting through his mash of noise.

I took the whole thing apart and checked all the screws for tightness. Put it all back together with a new Evans Genera HD Dry head as the batter, and began tuning the drum. The drum didn't like the Evans head so.....(go figure) I ended up putting the Remo coated Ambassador back on that it came with. This drum tuned beautifully, and within minutes it was sounding outright amazing. It has a warmth and depth that far exceeds its 5 1/2" depth. It almost has an amazing "woody" tone to it even though it is 1mm bronze. It had a high pitch ring to it and one piece of moon gel cleaned that right up. It is crisp, articulate, cutting and explosive when using the rim as a fulcrum. The drum is very responsive all over the head and there are no "dead zones" that choke it to speak of.

I can't wait to play it out live and record with it. Still just giddy over the deal I got. BTW, that wasn't a shirt in the box. It was a flannel drawstring bag to keep the drum in and help protect it. Nice touch.
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

It's funny how certain drums like and reject certain heads.
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

You stole that! From the sound files in Tamas site you got one great drum, enjoy it!

User Info Menu

Beautiful drum and great price. FYI, my Tama Stewart Copeland sig snare also loves just a plain old ambassador. Congrats.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Beauty snare drum you got there, biggun
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ntn2it View Post
    I texted my lead guitar player and told him to wear his adult incontinence undergarments to practice next week. He will definitely soil himself when he hears this drum cutting through his mash of noise.

I took the whole thing apart and checked all the screws for tightness. Put it all back together with a new Evans Genera HD Dry head as the batter, and began tuning the drum. The drum didn't like the Evans head so.....(go figure) I ended up putting the Remo coated Ambassador back on that it came with. This drum tuned beautifully, and within minutes it was sounding outright amazing. It has a warmth and depth that far exceeds its 5 1/2" depth. It almost has an amazing "woody" tone to it even though it is 1mm bronze. It had a high pitch ring to it and one piece of moon gel cleaned that right up. It is crisp, articulate, cutting and explosive when using the rim as a fulcrum. The drum is very responsive all over the head and there are no "dead zones" that choke it to speak of.

I can't wait to play it out live and record with it. Still just giddy over the deal I got. BTW, that wasn't a shirt in the box. It was a flannel drawstring bag to keep the drum in and help protect it. Nice touch.
    I've had better luck on most snares with the Genera Dry vs the HD dry, probably because the higher quality snares tend to sound better with single-ply heads,
    My Luddy sounds pretty good with both the Genera Dry and a Ludwig Weather Master Medium... Tanner's Pearl Masters MCX has the original Ambassador on it, I think the only two-ply snare head I'm using is on a Yamaha 14x7 Steel 10-lug with an ST Dry and an S-Hoop top rim that's tuned extremely high...sucker rings like a bell!
    Last edited by davewilson; 10-05-2011 at 08:15 PM.
    Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed

User Info Menu

Nice score ntn2it! That's a georgeous snare!

I know what you mean about the head. When I got a Tama Warlord Masai snare, I tried an Evans HD Dry, and it just killed the snare. I put a single ply coated head on, and it sings like a bird.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Ooooh, very pretty! $150?!?!?!?! Damn! Congrats!

User Info Menu

That's an insane deal! Congrats!

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

I used to swear by the ST Dry head. My Starclassic birch snare isn't a fan of it. It sounds better with the single ply G Plus.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Nice score ntn2it! That's a georgeous snare!

I know what you mean about the head. When I got a Tama Warlord Masai snare, I tried an Evans HD Dry, and it just killed the snare. I put a single ply coated head on, and it sings like a bird.
    Im guessing Tama drums dont like Evans heads, but my Yamaha
    snare drum loves it, I love the drum every time I hit it...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ty7177 View Post
    Im guessing Tama drums dont like Evans heads, but my Yamaha
    snare drum loves it, I love the drum every time I hit it...
    Tama drums come stock with Evans heads, so I'd say they like them just fine! ha. I guess some drums just don't totally agree with some heads.

User Info Menu

Wow that is a beauty man Congrats. You guys down in the United States seem to get realy good deals all the time. I am jealous. LOL