Thread: Help with Jazz chart!!?

User Info Menu

Default Help with Jazz chart!!?

So we were playing a Jazz/latin song.

Problem was, it told me to play in the style of...Horace Silver Latin Rock. What does this mean?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Help with Jazz chart!!?

It means to play with soul. Add the funk. Mix it up with left hand driven off beats and a bluesy feel to it. I'll try to find an album around here and see if I can't describe it to you some more. Hmmm......now where is that box of old jazz....................
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

Here try this link. Youtube video that might help. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1Eb46ltyQQ"]Fine Wine Trio "Barbara" by Horace Silver - YouTube[/ame] Listen how he accents with the left hand and it doesn't all seem really smooth? It has a samba type of feeling to it, yet a bit of grungy jazz thrown in for good measure. Good luck.
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

I think it means you need to install a flux-capacitor onto your bass pedal jigameister. From there, measure the length of your electronic brush doohickey. Then you are all set.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    I think it means you need to install a flux-capacitor onto your bass pedal jigameister. From there, measure the length of your electronic brush doohickey. Then you are all set.
    Exactly!!!! What he said.......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Not really, I think you mean that he has to play a thingamajig beat on his whatchamacallit while playing that all under triplet form while holding 2 pieces of silver in your mouth (thats why they call it Silver) while yelling horace on every downbeat.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

dont forget to compensate for the latteral collateral, the downside is you must compensate for gyroscopic swirlygig effect.
    its very complicated
    and yes, you must exclaim "horace" otherwise it didnt happen.
    farting helps

edit: i cant believe i just typed that. my girlfriend tells me daily, "what the hells the matter with you!?"
    Last edited by kyle102565; 10-08-2011 at 08:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Thank you so very much

But again, I am not sure if it was Horace Silver, OR Horace White, but I will look up both. Thank you so much.

And I'll make sure I get that Flux Capictor