Thread: quit drums and loud drums

User Info Menu

Default quit drums and loud drums

in songs, I sometimes hear drums that are alot quieter then the others. for example say the song was at the Chorus, all the drums would be at normal volume, but if you listen carfully the drummer is doing little fills on the toms, but they are really quite. Is this use of dynamics in the drummers drumming, or is it just simple turning down the mics on the toms?

User Info Menu

Typically when recording, you get a good level on the sounds then mix down stuff you want to be quieter. You do this so in case you have a tom or a snare hit during a quiet part that hits too soft, the mic might not pick it up the same sweet tone you are looking for.

Now, that's not to say you don't use dynamics while recording. You just use them differently.

User Info Menu

cool thanks el

User Info Menu

In my recent experience recording, the engineer had me hitting the snare HARD and taking it easy on the cymbals. We got a REALLY meaty snare tone with the room mic this way. I'll let you guys hear as soon as I get some mixes in.

User Info Menu

cool, lookin forward to hearing it

User Info Menu

Yup el has it. Too much compression is bad. Just playing it nicely. Well is nice :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters