Thread: Help with 1st time mic'ing drums

User Info Menu

Default Help with 1st time mic'ing drums

Just bought some mic's and not sure what I need next. They did not come with any wires so I unplugged one of our vocal mic's and plugged in one of my drum mics. I put it over the snare and turned on the PA. It did not sound good or was not tweaked right. Anyone have any tips? Do I need another piece of equipment? Can I just plug my mic's into any PA system?

Thanks
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Help with 1st time mic'ing drums

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrumkelly View Post
    Just bought some mic's from MF and not sure what I need next. They did not come with any wires so I unplugged one of our vocal mic's and plugged in one of my drum mics. I put it over the snare and turned on the PA. It did not sound good or was not tweaked right. Anyone have any tips? Do I need another piece of equipment? Can I just plug my mic's into any PA system?

Thanks
    yes you can plug into any PA system. preferrably a dedicated PA (just yours)
    placement of mics takes hours in the professional studio. the drummer always shows up earliest to help the engineer do set-up. there are basic formats but snare drums require dynamic mics, cymbals need a flat condenser mic. bare bones set up: one mic between the snare and hats pointed away from hats so you dont pick them up on the mic and one in front of the bass.
    the mounted toms in a polar pattern (think of an X)
    distance is crucial.

User Info Menu

OK I will play with it, All I did was plug a mic in and hold it close to the snare and hit it but it did not sound much different, not even sure I heard it through the speakers at all. It is a small room in my basement so maybe I won't notice it coming through the big speakers.

BTW I bought this but am not sure how the mic's actually attach to the drums? No instructions came with it can you believe that? I guess your supposed to know how to attach em. here is the exact set I bought. Any help?

*Gave you the pic instead of the commercial link MK (Forum Rules). - PB*
    Last edited by pastor_bob; 10-08-2011 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Commercial link
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

MK, the claws on the smaller mics should grip the hoop of the toms/snare, then you'll need a microphone stand to hold the bass mic.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Of course the drum sounded the same. A mic doesnt change the sound of a drum.

Im amazed at the number of people who think a mic and a pa has some magical property to make their drums sound good. That great sound you hear at conncerts and on cds is the result of a lot of effects and a lot of talent. Without it your drums dont sound better just louder.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post

Im amazed at the number of people who think a mic and a pa has some magical property to make their drums sound good. That great sound you hear at conncerts and on cds is the result of a lot of effects and a lot of talent. Without it your drums dont sound better just louder.
    Well by the same I meant not any louder coming through the speakers. I do not expect the drum to somehow sound different. But I did expect for it to be louder. It was just a quick test and come to think of it I did not even check the volume of the channel I was plugged into.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

if you do a search in recording drums thread you will find a few diagrams and other simple setups to give you an idea of all the bits you need

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post

The guy's looking for help. Your reply isn't much help. In fact, it's condescending and rather spiteful. Easy big fella.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrumkelly View Post

BTW I bought this but am not sure how the mic's actually attach to the drums? No instructions came with it can you believe that? I guess your supposed to know how to attach em. here is the exact set I bought. Any help?
    I have the same mics... Start with the bottom part of the clip on the bottom side of the rim, then pop the top side over. These particular brand of clips are much harder to attach than others I have used. I had to carefully use a drum stick to pry these open (do so at your own risk) while attaching. Hopefully, they clip on easier after the first time or so.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    The guy's looking for help. Your reply isn't much help. In fact, it's condescending and rather spiteful. Easy big fella.
    Actually its more helpful than you think and its neither spiteful nor condescending. I have run into so many people who spend hundreds of dollars on mics and are amazed that their drums dont suddenly sound like their favourite cd.

User Info Menu

NR is correct even if he was a little harsh. The mics are designed to make the sound of your kit go through bigger speakers and amplify the sound. If it sounds bad then your kit either sounds bad or the eq on the signal off. Remember, you might think your kit sounds great from behind but it might not project as well as you think. tune carefully and take a long time with the batter and reso.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Thanks all,

Kickinit-- thanks much thats exactly what I was looking for. I tried to attach it quickly like that but it was very hard so i figured I was doing it wrong, now I know.

Marko-- Thanks but not needed bro, I got this : )

Nr--Appreciate the honest answer, just be ready to take it as well. Although it is not what I meant I am capable of asking or assuming something just as stupid in the future : )
    Last edited by MDK; 10-09-2011 at 06:34 PM.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kickinit View Post
    I have the same mics... Start with the bottom part of the clip on the bottom side of the rim, then pop the top side over. These particular brand of clips are much harder to attach than others I have used. I had to carefully use a drum stick to pry these open (do so at your own risk) while attaching. Hopefully, they clip on easier after the first time or so.

I have the same EV mics as well. I used a pair of pliers on the bottom portion on the clip and flexed it a little. Now, they're not so hard to get on the rim, but still hold the rim very well.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman