Thread: First show! Any advice?

User Info Menu

Default First show! Any advice?

Next saturday I am playing in a wedding! One of my cousins has been asked by a friend to play in his wedding. Needless to say his economic resources are very limited... so my cousin asked me to play drums in the wedding!. Two guitars, two singers and me!. I can't believe it!. We have been practicing for some hours (6 or so) and I am having SO MUCH FUN!. Sometimes I almost can't play because I start laughing. Of course we play quite simple things (like I will survive -gloria gaynor, spanish pop music, even the openin waltz), and the plan is to play the songs we are preparing and then let people sing and play along with them.

Anyway, do you guys have a wise word to get out of this situation with some dignity? LOL Thank you!

(I'll tell you how it goes)

User Info Menu

Get stupidly into the songs if your entertainers....

If your just backghround music. Have fun, dont go over the top.

Gigs are fun i miss palying them :(
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

what stevo said..... I can't tell from the message if you have had any previous musical experience....
    but dancing is usually dependant on rhythm so try using a metronome when you practice...the way things will usually work is if you keep a steady good beat the rest of the band will follow you and it will sound nice n' rhythmic!

if you don't think you can handle something complicated its best to keep things simple. if you want to do something cool make sure you have a good idea of what you are going to do. because if you do try something complicated and if you mess it, you will send everyone out of step up the people won't get into the dance as much. I'm probably reading into this a bit too much..!!

any ways have fun relax and enjoy what you are doing!you may well be remembered as the life and soul of the party!!

P.S. what ever you do, if anyone in the band messes up...never ever ever EVER make a "my guitarist is an idiot" face. if anyone messes up just keep on going until the person sorts the problem out and fits back in. unless something really serious happens, it is far better to keep on going
    Last edited by mexicancounciloffood; 06-21-2007 at 08:38 AM.

User Info Menu

Stick to simple, basic beats cos that makes your chance of screwing up smaller. Also, try to look like you are having a great time and go really over the top.

User Info Menu

i'm glad we usually play biker weddings.

User Info Menu

Cool First show! Any advice?

Congrats, Alaman!

To borrow from my sig, the drummer helps keep the beat going, so use mcf's tip to practice with a metronome.

Since you've had comparatively little practice, it might be best to keep it simple...having attended three weddings in recent weeks ranging from a very quiet ceremony and no dancing...to a fairly tasteful wedding that got only a little wild toward the end...to one that started rowdy and stayed rowdy...you might watch how the party goes and react accordingly.

Do I understand the participants are going to play along with you? If you have a few hand percussion instruments (maracas, claves or bongos) handy, keep them at the ready. Of course glassware, silver and tabletops are good alternatives if you don't. In this case, you can throw in an occasional complicated break...

And if the wedding gets lively due to a little vino tinto o vino blanco, have fun with that, too. For that matter, just have fun with it period. If someone trips up, don't make a big fuss over it...the fun is what people remember about a wedding reception, not that somebody hit the wrong note or missed a rimshot!

Para un gran exito, mi hermano...mantenga el ritmo...or as I would normally sign off...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain
    i'm glad we usually play biker weddings.
    LOL!

User Info Menu

YEah dont stop playing no matter what
    even if everyone stops. You keep going. And they can fit back in... But learn how to pick up at a point by looking at each other...... Generally buy finishing a 4 bar beat. Raise your eyebrows for a sign for ready. Lift your head and then headbang down on beat one... Thats what i do anyways :P
    Last edited by Stevo42w; 06-22-2007 at 06:03 AM.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Hey, thanks! That's exactly what I needed. And today in our practice I'll tell my partners about your trick to pick up at a point, Stevo. I'll keep it as simple as I can. One thing is for sure: I'm gonna have fun! Thanks !

User Info Menu

no probs...... god i miss it :(
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

its also good for when you want to do some random drum beat as an intro. Or you drum as background for while someone talks and then pick up the song that way :>

Normally. Eyebrows=this is the last bar guys....

Head=here we go first beat on the down.

Your beat should establish the tempo to make this easyer than it sounds.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

So how did it go man?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's