Thread: Help?

User Info Menu

Default Help?

Hey guys,

I have noticed over the 3-5 months I've been drumming that I really do struggle to play songs, maybe because I'm choosing songs that are too hard, I don't really know. But I can play reasonably intricate and extremely fast improvisations/solo-ish type things. Then back to playing songs I fail.

Any ideas on what songs I can play which would help me develop my skills as a drummer, because on the cover front I'm considering giving up. Its annoying me the fact that I can't play even the simplest songs.

Any ideas what else I can do? Exercises?
    I'm already doing: Paradiddles, KRLKLRKRL and other rudiments ontop of paradiddles.

Thanks,
    Aiden.

My Kit:
    Mapex Horizon HZB in Transparrent Cherry.
    Consisting of 10" and 16" Toms.
    14" Snare and 22" Bass.
    Toms have Aquarian Perfomance II, snare has ambassador coated.

Cymbal Array:
    14" Pearl CX-200 Hats.
    16" B8 Rock Crash.
    20" Paiste 400 Power Ride.
    10" Meinl MCS Splash.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Help?

Aaaidn, there are definitely songs that are easier to play. My question would be, do you have an understanding of song stucture? If you understand song structure, it will make learning a song much easier, because you can learn the different parts, and then put it all together.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I understand song structure yes, I can read music and tabs. But can't seem to pick them up.

My Kit:
    14" Snare and 22" Bass.

Cymbal Array:
    14" Pearl CX-200 Hats.
    16" B8 Rock Crash.
    10" Meinl MCS Splash.

User Info Menu

Is it more about being able to hear, and recreate the sticking/combinations that create the groove? I'm just thinking about some of the things that I've had to work through. Can you identify the main issues you're struggling with?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Well, according to my tutor my sticking is confident and consistent. I really struggle with actually playing songs, I can groove along to anything on my own, but when I'm playing say Through Glass - Stone Sour. I loose it with the extra bass before the next hat. And I loose it.

My Kit:
    14" Snare and 22" Bass.

Cymbal Array:
    14" Pearl CX-200 Hats.
    16" B8 Rock Crash.
    10" Meinl MCS Splash.

User Info Menu

Aaaidn, if you're running into a combination that you're not used to doing, you'll have to simply practice the particular rhythm you need. Slow it down and learn it with a metronome, then you can go back to playing with your song. Other wise, you'll just have to simplify the groove a bit as you play to songs, until you have learned enough to play what the drummer is playing.

User Info Menu

Thanks alot PB!

Will stick at it

My Kit:
    14" Snare and 22" Bass.

Cymbal Array:
    14" Pearl CX-200 Hats.
    16" B8 Rock Crash.
    10" Meinl MCS Splash.

User Info Menu

I think you need to crawl and walk before you try to run, and there are other things to consider when it comes to playing songs than chops.

As an example, songs are musical works, and as such, you are dealing with a lot more than just execution. You are dealing with other concepts such as song structure, dynamics, set-ups, hits, and fills where appropriate, but the idea is that the drumming is done with the idea of being FOR the song.

You may not want to do this, but one of the first suggestions I see on these kinds of threads is to go back and listen to some classic AC/DC. If ever there was drumming that was song-centric, it's Phil Rudd's drumming for AC/DC. He takes the most basic grooves and makes them feel really good, he sets up the song's transitions like a pro, he plays dynamically, and his hits and fills all make sense.

Another genre of music to listen to, and you really may not care to listen to it, but I think it would be good to analyze from a drumming perspective, is today's modern Country. There is some fantastic drumming happening in those songs.

Neither of those may be genres you desire to actually play, but the concepts cross-apply and they are very transparent if you are listening to break it down into structure, set-ups, fills, hits, etc.
    Last edited by trickg; 10-11-2011 at 11:13 PM.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

first independence rhythm I learned:

Disclaimer: Notation by: Me (Fifty) Anthony. Using Guitar Pro 6. Pattern was taught to me when I first started playing drums, and I have never forgotten it.

Try this out, maybe it will help, it isn't too complicated. Just try it one part at a time, first just the bell, then add your feet, then add your left hand going around the toms and snare.
    Last edited by Fifty; 10-10-2011 at 12:07 PM.
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    If you're running into a combination that you're not used to doing, you'll have to simply practice the particular rhythm you need. Slow it down and learn it with a metronome, then you can go back to playing with your song. .
    Once again pastor bob dropping the wisdom. That's exactly it I think. When you improv you play around with things that are already comfortable for you. When you learn a song you're trying to learn what's comfortable for someone else, and sometimes it's the smallest thing (one accent, one bass drum hit, a weird crash) that can totally throw you. If you slow that one part down and nail it, it becomes part of your playing.

Also, the more songs you learn the easier it gets.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

count out aloud ...teachers around the world are crying this out!

User Info Menu

Too much, too soon. That's all I can think of. These guys are right. Get your metronome out and slow it down. Work it out. It'll come to you. Drums are tough. We are all still learning.

User Info Menu

Aaaidn, all I can add to the wisdom above is this, you mentioned that you have no problem with solo type playing, thats fine but what you need to practice is the ability to shut that part off and play TO the music not AT the music..there will always be a time for you to let it rip! via solo's When you listen to say...the Symphony..hear how simple, basic and well placed the percussion is, its not at the fore front but always..always needed. take it slow and steady
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    count out aloud ...teachers around the world are crying this out!
    *hangs his head in shame* It's soooo true itchie. My teacher was always reminding me of this, and I resisted for quite a while, preferring to count in my head. When I finally started counting out loud, it really did make a big difference (students can be so bull-headed). Great advice!

User Info Menu

Another help may be to put on some ballads and just learn to stay with the beat. Download 'Mandy' and CCR's 'As Long as I Can See the Light' and every other ballad you can find, or put a soft rock station on the radio and play those. It's boring but a lot of a drummer's job is boring old time keeping. You have to be really, really good at it. You have to learn to feel it.

User Info Menu

Not to hijack this thread, but, Trickg, do you think modern country drumming allows more technique or finesse because it's more like late 60s rock?
    "Another genre of music to listen to, and you really may not care to listen to it, but I think it would be good to analyze from a drumming perspective, is today's modern Country. There is some fantastic drumming happening in those songs."