Thread: Playing Hi Hats

User Info Menu

Default Playing Hi Hats

How do you all avoid right stick/left hand collisions while playing hi hats? If I put my hi hat in a place where it doesn't interfere with the butt end of my sticks (trad grip) when going to the tom, but not so far left as to create an uncomfortable angle for my left foot, I find myself hitting my left hand with my right stick on hard playing. Right now what I do is raise my right arm and do a kind of reach around while trying to keep the left hand as low as possible but I don't like playing like that and I don't see other guys play that way. I only wish I could see their kits up close to get a feel for their set up.

Anyway, how do you guys do it?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Playing Hi Hats

Raise your hats up a bit.

User Info Menu

Smile Re: Playing Hi Hats

Boxing gloves help, but one loses a little feeling.
    Sticking plaster is aptly named, and can accelerate healing.

Seriously, though, I don't think I can help, as that's one of several reasons for me using matched grip. Even then, I often get blood drops on the snare if my synchro slips a tad.

I have considered a cable hihat directly in front of me, but it's a little expensive, and I don't play disco beats much (that's when my knuckles and sticks come into collision the most...).
    I'll follow this thread to learn how 'real' drummers manage, if you don't mind.
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Raise your hats up a bit.
    I've tried that but I do 80% of my hi hat work with the tips (rather than the shoulders) and any higher is not my favorite playing position. I've also tried lowering my snare but again it gets out of my comfort range.

I can fiddle with these small adjustments but I guess what I'm hoping for is someone to have a brilliant solution that I haven't thought of.

User Info Menu

Are you making sure to keep your upside down V shape no matter where you go? You lose your shape you hit your hands.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I confess to not knowing what the upside down V shape is.

User Info Menu

I find when I start hitting my hands together I noticed I'm over relaxing my arms. My elbows have dropped down to my sides and my body starts to "ball" up or whatever you call it. Once I give my elbows some lift I no longer have this problem. When you start hitting your hands stop and take notice of where you arms are and try playing with your elbows more elevated.

Best I can offer other than what was mentioned before about raising you hats alittle.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

I do not have this problem, but I play matched grip...so I'm not much help!

User Info Menu

The way I play, a traditional grip would probably make this happen to me even less (I've tried using a traditional grip, the proper way, but it just doesn't work for me, so I stick with a matched grip) I just hit the hats hard, so my right stick goes way up on the down beat, or on the beat if its eighth notes (ONEandTwoandthreeandfourand

The bold (beats) are all hard hi hat ("mini" accents if you will) hits, and the "ands" are lighter hits. The snare is usually on the back beat (2 and 4) so when I hit the snare with my left hand, the right hand comes up higher to accent the beat.

Maybe I have down beat and backbeat mixed up, my bad if I do :P

EDIT: the "V" shape is having the tips of the sticks pointed inwards, making an arrow in the same direction you are facing.
    Last edited by Fifty; 10-12-2011 at 07:46 PM.
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fifty View Post

EDIT: the "V" shape is having the tips of the sticks pointed inwards, making an arrow in the same direction you are facing.
    Yeah, I do that . I didn't know it had a name.

User Info Menu

Besides the suggestions above I would take a look at your sticking height

User Info Menu

I did notice that my left hand (trad grip) tends to be angled pretty far above the drum, and I've started trying to keep it lower (flatter).

It looks like it's not any one thing but a series of small things will help, if not eliminate the problem. Really, it's agreeing to compromise on not having the hi hat exactly the height I want it and the snare exactly the height I want it and having to hold my arms a certain way, that will add up to something better in the end.

Old dogs can learn new tricks