Thread: Pacific American Vintage

User Info Menu

Default Pacific American Vintage

Have you caught wind of these yet? I was made aware on another forum and from a search on eBay...

"Here is the all new DW Pacific American Vintage drum set made in the USA!! The finish is a beautiful Black Oyster Sparkle. Sizes are 14x22,kick, 8x12 rack tom, and a 14x14 floor tom. These drums are Incredible. The drums are made out of the remaining inventory of the DW classics series shells, and they sound amazing. The shells are Mahogany and Poplar. Don't be fooled by the PDP logo on the front head because this kit screams DW. Also these are being made in the USA at their main factory in Oxnard, CA. Don't miss out on this VERY limited edition Drum Set."

DW's Classic shells in a one-off configuration at a good price. I'd be very interested if I was in the market for this type of drum sound (or any drum sound, for that matter!).
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pacific American Vintage

still thinking the performance kit it better value for money and the pdp lugs are hideous ....

change the lugs and ill buy a pdp straight up

User Info Menu

I got to test drive one of the new PDP kits yesterday. They sound better then the DW performance kits, and yes the lugs are hideous. I believe they are using the PDP platinum type lugs on these kits, but still, ugly.

I also got to witness the unveiling of the new DW limited edition 40th anniversary kit. It's stunning.

User Info Menu

I’m sure these are great drums but when you talk lugs DW’s are the worst of the worst. Not a thing of beauty at all.
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

I love DW's turret lug, but I hate the Platinum lugs. As for the Pdp vintage series, if they really are the classics shell, then that's pretty cool, that way people who want that sound can get it at a lower price-point.

User Info Menu

What's the price?

Last edited by areFish; 10-13-2011 at 01:00 PM.

User Info Menu

There are a couple of 3 piece kits on eBay for $1200. They look pretty cool, but it seems to me that the failed Platinums = PDP's version of the Collector's series so why now go with American Vintage = PDP's version of the Classics.

I just don't get these higher-end PDP lines. PDP is great at targeting new drummers, and for those looking for lower priced kits. The Dubs are the expensive flagship models. I though the Performance series was going to bridge the gap. And from what I've seen and read, the Performance series seems to be a hit, unlike the previous higher end PDPs. Why go back to that when you finally seemed to solve your mid-upper market with the Performance series.

I would think putting the performance hardware on these shells and selling them for a couple hundred more would attract more buyers.

PDPs are not bad drums; if anything the shells are probably the best part about them. Why junk up another new line with the already failed Platinum lugs.

User Info Menu

I have one.

User Info Menu

My local Shop had one of these, didn't hear it played though. Looks amazing to me. lugs can often be replaced btw.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.