Thread: Looking for help with 1st sampling pad

User Info Menu

Default Looking for help with 1st sampling pad

I am looking to purchase my first sampling pad. I will be up front and tell you that I have absolutely no experience with these things and my computer skills are just enough to get by on. Here is what I would like to do with it:

1. Use it to make sounds like gong, cowbell, claps, sirens etc. that can be played during live performances with my band.

2. Pre-record things like thunder and lightning crackles for show starters and such.

3. Loop background drums such as bongos and congas to add more sound to my playing.

I think I need something relatively easy to use, with enough memory to cover my needs, and something that is durable and expandable should I ever be able to figure out the basics and then decide to challenge myself with more options. HELP!!! PLEASE?!?!? I honestly am at a total loss and relying on salespeople at my local GC is a total crap shoot. My budget is approximately $300 give or take. I really hope some of you more technically advanced folks can help out this old dog with some new tricks.

Thanks,
    ntn2it
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Looking for help with 1st sampling pad

I too am curious at what suggestions will be placed here. Sounds like a fun simple add on, but again I too am imited in my tech knowledge. Sorry for not having any answers, but at least you know that you are not alone!
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

I was really hoping to get some advice on here. After doing some research this weekend online, I am leaning toward the Roland SPD-S for my needs.
    This unit seems to be able to do what I intended, but the price tag is a bit higher than I was looking to spend. Guess I'll have to try to find one used somewhere.
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

Certain Alesis ones are cheap for the price, but if your looking at the Roland SPD-S, I would go for that. It will have everything you need and more.
    I'm sure you can find one used, I've seen lots of them out there. Check the regular CG, GC used, eBay, etc...
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos