Thread: Marching Bass Drum

User Info Menu

Default Marching Bass Drum

Hey guys!

Ok, So next year is the year that I am able to try out for marching band. And really the only two things I can be asinged to is Crash Cymbals or Bass Drum.

Bass drum is really only for the drummers who are really good in the band, ya know what I mean? And I REALLY want to get the bass drum... like... bad.

So what would I have to learn to be able to get the bass drum in marching band? Like, would I have to learn a bunch of different rudiments and all that jazz?

Thanks so much for your responses!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Marching Bass Drum

As a high school drum line coach, I would recommend that a bass drummer know how to count and mark time, understand and be able to play syncopations, and have some basic drumstick technique. Rudiments are good to know, however I feel that some developed technique is of higher importance to avoid injury and to execute musical passages.
    I recommend starting with basic snare drum technique and rhythm execution utilizing quarter notes, eighth notes, sixteenth notes, eighth-note triplets, and sixteenth-note triplets.
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

You my friend are basically going to be a human metronome. The bass drums hold the whole percussion section together. You have to keep the pulse going. Keep the beat in your feet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by clickkfourles View Post
    you my friend are basically going to be a human metronome. The bass drums hold the whole percussion section together. You have to keep the pulse going. Keep the beat in your feet.
    +1 !!!
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

Gotta count. ALL THE TIME. Subdivide eighths and sixteenths when necessary. You HAVE to be able to do that.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Constinator25 View Post
    Gotta count. ALL THE TIME. Subdivide eighths and sixteenths when necessary. You HAVE to be able to do that.
    Any other hints? Youngest boy [13] has been accepted into his school's drum line, their first go of this in 20 some years, and will be playing the bass drum. Has only had couple practices, sounding pretty good by my non-educated ears. Has mentioned that the bass is kinda heavy, and shoulders feel the weight after some time… any tips on that aspect would be great too. Thanks.
    Gretsch Renown Maple "Cherry Burst": 8"x7" + 10"x8" + 12"x9" toms + 14"x14" floor + 22"x18" kick
    Gretsch Snare, White, Birch: 12"x5.5"
    Cymbals: misc...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    Any other hints? Youngest boy [13] has been accepted into his school's drum line, their first go of this in 20 some years, and will be playing the bass drum. Has only had couple practices, sounding pretty good by my non-educated ears. Has mentioned that the bass is kinda heavy, and shoulders feel the weight after some time… any tips on that aspect would be great too. Thanks.
    Lots of situps, build up those core muscles.

User Info Menu

A cart to haul da dang thing!!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Learn how to split, on and off beats just in case your music requires you to split 16th notes.

User Info Menu

Keep your shoulders back. It will help disperse the weight of the drum. Get you some bass drum mallets to, and practice with those. Get your wrists used to the beaters. I carried 4th bass. These things helped me.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

If you are interested in some reading about Bass drumming, i can email you a bass drum manual i compiled into one file when back when i taught drumlines. I gathered as much information about all aspects of bass drumming, from attitude, technique, tuning, counting etc from some of the best bass drummers i marched with, taught with, and knew throughout my years in the activity. I used this manual when i taught at the High School, Indoor, and Drum Corps levels.

Feel free to send me a PM if you want a copy. Also, anyone interested, i'll be happy to send it to you as well. that much information served its purpose for me and my lines very well for a number of years.

ddrum Diablo II
    8,10,12,13 high toms
    14,16,18 floor toms
    14x5 Ludwig Supraphonic Steel
    14x6 Ming Fiberglass
    14x6 Homemade Acrylic w/ LED
    14x4 Homemade Acrylic Piccolo w/LED
    13x7 Pork Pie Hip Pig Chrome Steel
    10x5 ddrum Side Snare

Saluda Earthworks
    13" Fusion hats
    16" Vented Medium Crash
    17" Rock Crash
    18" Rock Crash
    14" vented china/ 10.5" vented splash [stack]
    16" Rock China
    20" Rock Ping Ride
    8" Prototype Splash
    6" Prototype Bell
    Trick Drums Dominator Pedals

User Info Menu

if it is tonal bass drum be ready to do lots of splits. i play bass 6 and my part is normaly along the lines of the "e" of 3 and the "aah" of 4. stuff like that.

User Info Menu

Hi! I'm the drumline captain of my schools marching band and I am really interested in the materials you mentioned, but drumchat won't let me pm you for some reason. I really want to help my section become better, so would you be able to email those materials to me? My email is dunkthebob@gmail.com. Thank you so much in advance for any help you can provide