Thread: PDP X7 or......???

User Info Menu

Default PDP X7 or......???

Hey guys, I've been thinking about investing in a PDP X7. I have had my cheap sonic drive kit for about 2 years now and want a new kit. The PDP kit interests me because I love DW all their products are made extremely well. I know I know PDP isn't really DW. My price range is $2,000-$2,200 if necessary as I do not get a lot of money a week and am currently not employed. If there is any other suggestions for kits please recommend. I was also looking at the tama superstar hyperdrive but it's a bit out of my price range. I know their is a thread on kits for different levels but just want your opinion on what you think from experience
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA Holy China 17"
    - Meinl classics custom extreme metal crash 18"
    - Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Zildjian Z custom 20" ride
    - Evans G2 heads
    - Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal
    -Joey Jordison signature snare drum.

Drummer For: *BAND HAS NO NAME YET*
    Genre:Metal/Screamo

User Info Menu

Default Re: PDP X7 or......???

For that money you should be able to get a fantastic kit. Are you looking at strictly new kits? I'd get used and go high end. Of course, I would recommend a Tama Starclassic kit.

User Info Menu

You shouldn't have any problems finding a lot of options in that price range (assuming we're not talking about cymbals). I think my Mapex Saturn kit was in that price range.

User Info Menu

With your buget, I would definitely look at the Mapex Saturn kit, and the Gretsch Renown kit too. BTW, what all are you trying to get with your budget, because that may have a bearing on what kits are in your price range? If your budget is for a shell pack, then I stand by my first recommendations.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I live in Australia so I can't use guitar center and most other online retailers. Plus the Saturn mapex kit is $3000 at my local store. I want something with 3 rack toms. This is a must for me. I also want something with decent hardware that comes In a nice finish.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads

User Info Menu

The PDP line are pretty good drums, but for that amount of money I would beckon what everyone else is saying. I'm sure you could find use sets and score a Gretsch Renown, DW Performance series or even Collectors.
    Mapex Saturn Red Sparkle 10, 12, 14, 22
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Snare 14 x 6,

Mapex Armory Photon Blue 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    Tomahawk 14x5.5 Snare

Meinl 20" Dark Raw Bell Ride, 20" Traditional Extra Thin Hand Hammered Crash, 18" Sand Thin Crash, 14" Byzance Dark Hats

Samsun 22" Design series Ride, 13" Design Series Hats, 16" FX Loop Effects Crash + 12" Raw Earth Splash (stacker)

Tama Speed Cobra (single pedal), Tama Iron Cobra (double pedal)

User Info Menu

Yeah, if you're Down Under then your budget won't go quite as far. I'm always amazed at the cost of kits in your country. Also, you folks have a more limited selection of available kits. The PDP X7 is a good intermediate kit. If you have Gretsch Catalina kits available, then I would definitely take a look at those. The Catalina series comes in maple, birch, or ash shells. Gretsch is also getting better about finish options in their Catalina line.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Yeah, if you're Down Under then your budget won't go quite as far. I'm always amazed at the cost of kits in your country. Also, you folks have a more limited selection of available kits. The PDP X7 is a good intermediate kit. If you have Gretsch Catalina kits available, then I would definitely take a look at those. The Catalina series comes in maple, birch, or ash shells. Gretsch is also getting better about finish options in their Catalina line.
    yes good point! and yes the Catalinas would be a great option. Even if you could find Sonor 3005/3007's (im a new owner) they are intermediate/pro level drums and they sound amazing.

Tomahawk 14x5.5 Snare

Meinl 20" Dark Raw Bell Ride, 20" Traditional Extra Thin Hand Hammered Crash, 18" Sand Thin Crash, 14" Byzance Dark Hats

Samsun 22" Design series Ride, 13" Design Series Hats, 16" FX Loop Effects Crash + 12" Raw Earth Splash (stacker)

User Info Menu

Jemini, when I bought my Catalina Maple kit, the Sonor 3007 in a natural finish was in the running right up until the very end. The final decision was very hard, because they are both fine kits.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Jemini, when I bought my Catalina Maple kit, the Sonor 3007 in a natural finish was in the running right up until the very end. The final decision was very hard, because they are both fine kits.
    I know what you mean, I was deciding between the 3007, Catalina, and Tour custom. The 3007 was the only kit that came with cymbals and hardware. I liked the sound of all 3, but preferred the 3007 and the catalina. The Gretsch was much cheaper but only shells. I took the 3007 because of all the extras, even drum cases. After selling my stage custom and if the cymbals sell i would have only spent $200 or less.

I'm glad I made the choice. Lucius, trust me be patient (if you are willing to by used) there are deals out there and of course it may different for you in your area. Fact is when I bought the stage customs, I got them with hardware and cymbals, sold the cymbals and made some money back. same thing with the 3007's.

I do know some people with PDPx7's and love them, it's lots of drums for the price and they are maple shells. Does it come with hardware?

Tomahawk 14x5.5 Snare

User Info Menu

Yeah the deal that is offered at my local music store is $1899 with DW 9000 hardware and top of the line throne with a set of DXK cymbals. I'll try the Catalina. I was also looking at the pearl Vision VML
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads

User Info Menu

Made sure to look at an x7 up close the other day, cuz some of you have some awesome pics of your x7's. Man!! Really good looking kit! Guitar center had a couple 7 piece kits for under a grand.
    Last edited by Deedubs!; 10-16-2011 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Spelling
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

I would definitely recommend the PDP. I have had 2 pdp kits now. A cx and a mx. I love them both. They sound great, tune well, and so far have held up well. I always got compliments on my cx kit when I would play out. I had a few other drummers ask me what I had in my bass drum to make it so deep and punchy. They looked rather astounded when I said, nothing. Lol

Go for the PDP. You will not regret it.

User Info Menu

Thanks Xoferif09. Yeah I'm loving the deep punchy sound and the kits come in some nice finishes to. I can't use guitar center read my first post. Some people have seriously recommended the pearl VSX. What do u guys think of that kit? Is it better then the X7 or does it have some traits that are better or worse then the X7?
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads

User Info Menu

Lucius, whereabout in Oz are ya? If you find the prices are ridiculous for new kits in drumshops, you should have a look at some stuff that gets advertised on gumtree.com.au. or even Trading Post, both online and in print. Seriously. I've been able to pick up some great bargains for myself and various students. Like what Marko said, go used and get a better high end kit. Used doesn't necessarily mean scuffed up and badly beaten either, there are owners who really look after their drums and cymbals.

If you're anywhere in Sydney way, there is actually a DW set (with Pacific stands) going for AU$1600, for example. The guys also throwing in soft cases, hardware bags, and hard snare and cymbal cases.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Definitely look into used! Those X7's are incredible, though.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Well I don't have any money at the moment. But gumtree had a decent pearl VSX 7 piece for $875 used. And man I'm so annoyed I don't have the money. I live in Adelaide ok now that you know that come at me with deals, I dare you to try and find one. And yeah I picked up a $70 brand new B8 crash cymbal from gumtree yesterday.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads