Thread: Timbales?

User Info Menu

Default Timbales?

So if the Matador series is pretty decent for congas, are the Matador series timbales a decent starter set?
    LP Performer Quinto, Conga, Tumba & Remo Nuskyn Heads
    Remo 14" djembe
    Zildjian 14" ZHT High Hats
    Sabian 13"AA El Sabor Salsa Splash
    Cajon
    LP Performer Series Bongos
    TreeWorks chimes

User Info Menu

Default Re: Timbales?

The whole Matador line is a great line, and I'm sure that the Timbales would sound very nice. I was in GC and I hit a few timbales. One of them was a Matador. Very nice sounding. LP has great stuff, made with care and quality in mind. I don't think you could go wrong with it.
    Hope this helps!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

LP makes some great Timbales. Your not going to go wrong with the Matadors. Toca has some nice ones as well as Meinl.
    I have some 14" and 15" stainless steel 1980 Tito Puente
    Timbales from the New Jersey factory. They were or are the best LP has to offer.
    These things cut like a knife. They sound great live and recorded. Fantastic!
    Here are mine when I perfromed at a recent Reggae concert
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Timbales?

Hey VIbes--

Sweet-lookin' set there, man...if you haven't yet, you might want to show them off in the "Show Us Your Hand Drums" thread...

, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Ive been looking into getting a drumset timbale, any suggestions...

P.S. try to keep it under 100$ U.S. please...

User Info Menu

I'm looking at a set of TOCA timbales that do not have a stand or mounts. I have a couple of heavy duty stand bases and would like to use one for this purpose. Is there a standard mounting format and who makes parts for this that would drop in a 7/8" stand?

Well, I won a pair of TOCA Player Series timbales on eBay. 13 and 14 inch with cowbell and plastic bell/block. No stand. $74 shipped. I thought this would be an introduction to timbales with some minimal quality for not much money. I've assumed that the less than $100 models from Amazon, Walmart, etc. are not good buys and that at least the low line from a major producer would be better. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that.

I contacted TOCA Percussion and was informed that they do not sell parts, that I would have to buy a whole stand from them. Doesn't strike me as very consumer friendly, but that's business I guess.

I will check with Atlanta Percussion or somebody similar this week, but I thought I would ask about mounts. Are the TOCA, LP, and other mounts similar? I have a couple of heavy duty Pearl stand bases and would love to make up a stand from one of them. Just need to get a plan of action. Unfortunately I can't find an exploded drawing or parts list for timbale stands.

Any insight would be most welcomed.
    Last edited by RWP; 11-07-2011 at 05:57 PM.

User Info Menu

If you are luck (like I was) you can buy one at a local shop (a old shop that has every small part laying a round from years a go) I got one but I am missing the rubber separator, lucky for me LP does sell parts (takes a long time to get though) and so I can use my timbales as needed.