Thread: Egg cartons

User Info Menu

Default Egg cartons

how well do egg cartons work in concret rooms? and what exactly do egg cartons do to music?

User Info Menu

The egg cartons absorb sound as opposed to letting it reflect off the walls. Egg cartons will work great in a concrete room as concrete reflects like a mother!

User Info Menu

Hey Lafirin, ever heard of Taso Kapso? I thought since you lived in the city you would know him. Unless of course "B.C." isn't Baltimore City.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I think b.c. is british columbia.

User Info Menu

Aha, never thought of that one lol.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

yeah B.C. =british coulumbia, its wierd you dont know were B.C. is when you see the name, i thought everyone knew B.C. haha. anyways yea El i record and play my drums in my carport (which is concrete) umm would that be the reason why my friends amp needs to be turned up to distortion for me to hear him? :P

User Info Menu

Cool Egg Cartons

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin View Post
    how well do egg cartons work in concret rooms? and what exactly do egg cartons do to music?
    The little cells that hold the eggs in place help absorb sound, as el presidente suggests. In the early days of garage bands, those pressed-pulp egg cartons served as the equivalent of acoustic insulation (and they were easy to spray-paint, too). The plastic-foam cartons don't work as well.

In the '70s, shag carpets were popular, too...in my first radio gig, we worked out of--so help me--converted mobile homes. Our PD got some cheapo red-white-and-blue shag and lined the walls. Took care of the sound, but man it looked awful...

BTW, b.c. IS in Canada, eh?
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Some people refer to the acoustic insulation as egg cartons. So I assumed that's what you were talking about lafirin. If not do as BB suggests and not use the styrofoam used in some modern (actual) egg cartons.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post

In the '70s, shag carpets were popular, too...in my first radio gig, we worked out of--so help me--converted mobile homes. Our PD got some cheapo red-white-and-blue shag and lined the walls. Took care of the sound, but man it looked awful...

BTW, b.c. IS in Canada, eh?
    shage carpets? thats awsome! lol i guess whatever works huh? so you put the egg cartons with the cups of the egg carton facing toward or away from the room?

yup B.C. is in canada! accept i never say eh, i think eh is overrated

User Info Menu

Do we need to start saving egg cartons for you Laf?

User Info Menu

i thought you would never ask!

User Info Menu

i thought you would never ask!
    I love eggs so I'll be able to cover your entire room in no time with my empty cartons. I think I'll scramble some now......... LOL

User Info Menu

hmm i love scrambled eggs, just mail to canada BC vor1x7 4774 lewis road, or u could come down their by your self, just listen for the house that makes the most noise, you should be able to find it.

User Info Menu

hmm i love scrambled eggs, just mail to canada BC vor1x7 4774 lewis road, or u could come down their by your self, just listen for the house that makes the most noise, you should be able to find it.
    Drum_chick leaves NJ with passport in hand..... See ya in a few!

User Info Menu

nice

User Info Menu

nice

User Info Menu

Anything that can create static air is good. It just acts like a cushion if you could think of sound waves as throwing a ball. You throw it into a brick it bounces harshly. Throw it at a matress (foam) or shag carpet it wont bounce back the same.

Im gonna make some wooden portable defusers coz i have about 500 egg cartons im gonna get them glued to some of that chipboard wood with the holes through it then get some old blankets from the salvo's or red cross and put them over. Turns out deffuser boards work better when the air can move through them rather having a harsh surface..... Makes sence other wise you get reflections on something you want to absorb

Of course propper sound proofing tiles work better but there like 3$ a tile which is about a foot by a foot. They do come in different sizes i think.

How big is your friends amp? I was recommended to be 100watts pluss to hear over a drum kit. I dont know what anyone else was told.
    Last edited by Stevo42w; 06-23-2007 at 05:56 AM.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

If anybody has heard of a club called The Station in West Warwick, RI, please take heed to this warning. DO NOT use the foam bedding "egg cartons" for sound deadening and please DO NOT spray paint it. This is the stuff they used on the walls that caused the fire to spread so rapidly. Great White set off some pyro on stage, the sparks caught the pseudo sound deadening inulation on fire and it rolled across the ceiling. I believe 100 people or so lost their lives in that fire. Now, naturally I don't believe that for home use you'll be setting off pyro in your living room but take this as simply a word of caution. That stuff is very flammable. The real sound deadening foam (the kind they use in recording studios and radio stations) is fire resistant and VERY expensive.

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861