Thread: Anybody using an iPod Touch or iPad for music?

User Info Menu

Default Anybody using an iPod Touch or iPad for music?

Anyone else using an iOS device for a drum module or for music production? I've been using an a M Audio Midi keyboard and a iPod Touch. Just bought SampleTank for iPhone and was blown away! I ordered the iRig Midi too for 48 more sounds too! Can't wait to use this live at church with our V drum kit!

How are you using your iPhone or iPad for music?
    Last edited by pastor_bob; 10-21-2011 at 01:58 PM. Reason: commercial links

User Info Menu

Default Re: Anybody using an iPod Touch or iPad for music?

Welcome to Drum Chat Gabe!

Sorry about having to edit out the commercial links to a retailer. You might want to read through the Forum Rules just so it doesn't need to happen again.

As to your question, I don't use iPhones, or iPads, so I can't really comment.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Welcome.

I use a metronome app on my android.

User Info Menu

In our band, we use the i-pad to wirelessly run the Presonus mixing board via StudioLive Remote. We can set the whole cabinet containing our mixer, amps, powerconditioners, wireless microphone and in ear monitors behind the band (no long snakes running to the middle of the venue). Our sound guy can control everything from anywhere in the room with the i-pad. Any and all levels and eq can be set by touching the screen. He can adjust our in ears individually as well. I don't know how he managed it, but he's even got our lights covered on the same i-pad. We love it because he will move around the room and adjust volumes and reverb and whatever else he wants and always makes us sound phenominal. Goodbye 100' snakes and wiring galore.
    Technology at its finest!
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ntn2it View Post
    In our band, we use the i-pad to wirelessly run the Presonus mixing board via StudioLive Remote. We can set the whole cabinet containing our mixer, amps, powerconditioners, wireless microphone and in ear monitors behind the band (no long snakes running to the middle of the venue). Our sound guy can control everything from anywhere in the room with the i-pad. Any and all levels and eq can be set by touching the screen. He can adjust our in ears individually as well. I don't know how he managed it, but he's even got our lights covered on the same i-pad. We love it because he will move around the room and adjust volumes and reverb and whatever else he wants and always makes us sound phenominal. Goodbye 100' snakes and wiring galore.
    We do this in our band as well, and Presonus just released a new version of SL Remote that should improve upon some minor clunkiness of that interface. It's a great setup though - personalized in-ears from wherever you are in the room is a pretty cool thing.

We also use iPads with GoodReader as a PDF music reader. It's not perfect, but it allows everyone on stage to have ALL of the music books, which is cool for a band that has roughly 700 charts in total to choose from. The cool thing about that is that the music can be put on an FTP server, and then we just sync it when the bandleader sends us an email letting us know that we have new charts to look at. (I tend to update mine about once a week regardless) It has made charts distribution almost painless with no more paper books, and it makes it easy to get new charts actually IN the book.

Otherwise I don't use my iPad for much else musically.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

I use the a-7remote control app for my home studio
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

I have a 2nd monitor facing my eDrum Kit so I sometimes use my Apple Magic Trackpad resting on a drum pad
    to make on the fly edits or to quickly hit the transport controls from across the room if my iPad is elsewhere.

But to answer your question, I use an iPad a number of ways.

1. As a remote control using Entrackment for Garageband or AC-7 Pro for Logic.

I have it sitting on a music stand next to my eDrum Kit when I'm recording.

2. I also use it with Splashtop HD and XDisplay to turn my iPad into a (3rd) computer monitor of needed.

User Info Menu

I just started using my iPad with gbTouch and gbLink with GarageBand to record drums. If/when I move to Logic or possibly Reaper, I'll download and install the remote controller for that as well.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    I just started using my iPad with gbTouch and gbLink with GarageBand to record drums. If/when I move to Logic or possibly Reaper, I'll download and install the remote controller for that as well.
    I've got GarageBand on both of my Macs but I've never used it.

I've tried to record a guitar track with the built in mic on my MacBook Pro but the levels seem to go up and down as the track records.

I need to figure out how to use GB.

User Info Menu

GarageBand is pretty easy to use, and as for a microphone, even the USB mic that comes with Rock Band, World Tour isn't terrible - I used that to record my first few projects, but it doesn't have as full of a sound as something like an SM57. I used an SM57 using a Blue Icicle XLR to USB converter with Garage Band to record this: (Just the Flugelhorn parts - not the backing track)

That was prior to getting my Focusrite interface. In any case, GarageBand is pretty simple to set up and use to get some quick and decent results and I was messing around recording some drums with it the other day using the iPad as a remote controller.
    Last edited by Russ; 03-02-2012 at 06:10 PM. Reason: embedded video

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

I've gotta mess with it a little I guess.

User Info Menu

A really interesting thread to read and a great first post - Welcome!

A couple of guys in the band that I recently joined, use iPads and I was thinking of getting one to run notes and click tracks etc, but it seems that would only be scratching the surface?!

I'll be watching the replies with interest.
    PROUD TO BE ENDORSED BY DUALLIST PEDALS
    Drums: Phil Collins Pearl DLX | Pink Floyd DW Exotic Bird's Eye | Natal Bubinga Custom Fusion | Cymbals: DIRIL & UFIPeDrums: 2Box DrumIt 5
    BACK BEATING DRUMMING BLOG ||| PINK FLOYD DW KIT ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT
    www.graham-collins.com/drummer ||| www.pinkfloyddrums.com ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    GarageBand is pretty easy to use, and as for a microphone, even the USB mic that comes with Rock Band, World Tour isn't terrible - I used that to record my first few projects, but it doesn't have as full of a sound as something like an SM57. I used an SM57 using a Blue Icicle XLR to USB converter with Garage Band to record this: (Just the Flugelhorn parts - not the backing track)

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - Patrick Gleason - YouTube

That was prior to getting my Focusrite interface. In any case, GarageBand is pretty simple to set up and use to get some quick and decent results and I was messing around recording some drums with it the other day using the iPad as a remote controller.
    Trick...just wanna say thanks. Reading your posts in this thread got me tinkering with GB last night. I figured out what I was doing wrong when recording guitars (using the built in mic on my MBP). Got a better sound out of it.

I think I'm gonna spend a couple bucks and buy a guitar to usb interface and a SM57 and cable so I can do some dirty drum work.

Thanks again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ntn2it View Post
    I had no idea this existed! I will have to download this immediately. No more tripping over everything to get back and forth between the drums and the StudioLive! Thanks, ntn2it!
    My kit: OCDP Custom drums, Zildjian cymbals, Tama hardware, Evans heads, Pro-Mark drumsticks, Roland electronics, LP aux percussion, Roc-N-Soc throne, Shure mics

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Trick...just wanna say thanks. Reading your posts in this thread got me tinkering with GB last night. I figured out what I was doing wrong when recording guitars (using the built in mic on my MBP). Got a better sound out of it.

I think I'm gonna spend a couple bucks and buy a guitar to usb interface and a SM57 and cable so I can do some dirty drum work.

Thanks again.
    It's fun stuff - especially when you can remote control the session from your drum seat with the iPad!

Quote Originally Posted by Manof1000Ages View Post
    I had no idea this existed! I will have to download this immediately. No more tripping over everything to get back and forth between the drums and the StudioLive! Thanks, ntn2it!
    It makes things immeasurably easier. I used to think we had it good when the in-ears board was set up and we each had our own full channel where we could customize our mix for every instrument on stage, but getting to the board was sometimes impossible. With the iPad, it was never an issue except for when you lost your sync to it, but that was just a minor detail that was quickly resolved. It's even better than Avioms because it's wireless, it can handle more channels, and you can do some basic customization of the whole thing with EQ, reverb.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Ok iPod and iPhone users. You can now download a free app from PreSonus called Q Mix for iOS and control all your own in ear monitors via your iPod or iPhone. No more telling your sound guy you need more guitar and him telling you that you don't. Go to the app page, search for PreSonus Qmix and get the app. It just came out back in February, and now it's FREE. I installed it and it works great.
    Here is a link to a video about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12O5R0uK1HQ

Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLGAP...eature=related
    Last edited by ntn2it; 03-02-2012 at 05:56 PM.
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.