Thread: Memphis, TN area

User Info Menu

Default Memphis, TN area

Hows about all those other sweet Blues inspired drummers? I can't be alone out here.
    Eat. Drum. Sleep. Repeat.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Memphis, TN area

Donny, I'm in the Clarksville, TN area right now, but I am definitely getting a kick out of exploring the Blues right now.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I knew it! Gotta love that soul.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by -Donny- View Post
    I knew it! Gotta love that soul.
    I recently sat and watched a movie called "Crossroads" that was a documentary of Eric Clapton" Blues gathering in Chicago. It focused primarily on the guitarists - and there were certainly great blues guitarists present - but I also enjoyed the awesome drummers that were behind them all the way. It was awesomely inspiring.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I recently sat and watched a movie called "Crossroads" that was a documentary of Eric Clapton" Blues gathering in Chicago. It focused primarily on the guitarists - and there were certainly great blues guitarists present - but I also enjoyed the awesome drummers that were behind them all the way. It was awesomely inspiring.
    I love just sitting around and listing to the people who have played on Beale for most of their lives. It rekindles my spirit every time I do.

User Info Menu

Hey Donny,

Welcome to DC! I am a native Memphian!! I was born and raised there. I sure do miss walking down Beal St., listening to the old blues trio playing on the sidewalk, with the guitar almost out of tune... you can't learn that stuff in any music school. I also miss Memphis BBQ!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kickinit View Post
    Hey Donny,

Welcome to DC! I am a native Memphian!! I was born and raised there. I sure do miss walking down Beal St., listening to the old blues trio playing on the sidewalk, with the guitar almost out of tune... you can't learn that stuff in any music school. I also miss Memphis BBQ!!!
    That's why I love it here so much. You can't be taught how to play stuff here, it has to always come from what's inside. It's got a whole different meaning than anything else, to me.

User Info Menu

I am in the Murfreesboro, TN area if that helps. I play the blues I know there must be more drummers in this area. Maybe someone else will come forward. Nice to meet you
    "When in doubt, roll" ------ Bill Bruford

Now, to the drums!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummin' girl View Post
    I am in the Murfreesboro, TN area if that helps. I play the blues I know there must be more drummers in this area. Maybe someone else will come forward. Nice to meet you
    Welcome to Drum Chat drummin' girl! I was in Murfreesboro for 7 years, before moving to a church in Clarksville last year. Great town.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by -Donny- View Post
    Hows about all those other sweet Blues inspired drummers? I can't be alone out here.
    Hello Donny!

I'm a fellow Memphian...born and raised here. I don't get down to beale st. very much but just love it when i can get there. The music's as real as it gets!! I also love going to Clarkdale miss to Ground Zero and watching the blues talent there as well! if you haven't been there, it's worth the drive!
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Welcome to Drum Chat drummin' girl! I was in Murfreesboro for 7 years, before moving to a church in Clarksville last year. Great town.
    Hi pastor bob,

nice to meet you! thanks for the welcome. Murfreesboro sure has changed in the past last years hasn't it? the traffic is horrible now and I can't recognize half of the streets I use to know like the back of my hand!

I have been to Clarsville a time or two. Nice town!

I will see you around the forums! Have a great day!

Now, to the drums!

User Info Menu

Murfreesboro sure has changed in the past last years hasn't it? the traffic is horrible now
    I know that's right!

hello drummin girl. I have been going up and down the interstate the past few weeks going to and from Chattanooga to see my daughter and new grand-daughter and I've got to say...the interstate traffic is horrible most of the time it seems.

My wife and I went to Murfreesboro about 6 years ago and rented a honda goldwing to test drive. Y'all have lots of nice scenery areas to ride thru.
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgraham798 View Post
    I know that's right!

hello drummin girl. I have been going up and down the interstate the past few weeks going to and from Chattanooga to see my daughter and new grand-daughter and I've got to say...the interstate traffic is horrible most of the time it seems.

My wife and I went to Murfreesboro about 6 years ago and rented a honda goldwing to test drive. Y'all have lots of nice scenery areas to ride thru.
    Hi Jim/jgraham798,

Congrats on your new granddaughter! I bet she is very cute!
    I am sure you are not relishing the drive to Chattanooga (the traffic that is), I'll be there in a few weeks with my hubby at a conference, so I will get to see Chattanooga again. Love the town.

Cool you got to ride around Murfreesboro on a bike, they have I think Bumpus and I can't remember if there is another bike shop in town. A couple of years a go we had a tornado go through the area where Bumpus was at. Not fun.

Thanks for the scenery complements! You have to see the smoky mountains and Gatlinburg if you have the time. There are quite a few good spots for bike riding around here.

Nice to meet you and I will see you around the forums too!

Now, to the drums!

User Info Menu

Smile Re: Memphis, TN area

Congrats on your new granddaughter! I bet she is very cute!
    I am sure you are not relishing the drive to Chattanooga (the traffic that is), I'll be there in a few weeks with my hubby at a conference, so I will get to see Chattanooga again. Love the town.

Cool you got to ride around Murfreesboro on a bike, they have I think Bumpus and I can't remember if there is another bike shop in town. A couple of years a go we had a tornado go through the area where Bumpus was at. Not fun.

Thanks for the scenery complements! You have to see the smoky mountains and Gatlinburg if you have the time. There are quite a few good spots for bike riding around here.

Nice to meet you and I will see you around the forums too!
    Thanks for the congrats and we will be headed back up there next weekend!
    Chattanooga is a cool city! My son-in-law grew up there and has all his family there.

The place we rented the bike from was called Sloan's. We wound up riding 500 miles that day and man was it cold!!!

We did make it to gatlinburg about 3 years ago and it was extremely beautiful. We like to go to an area and rent a motel room and just explore to see what we can see. I have GPS but only use it to get back to the motel.

Nice to meet you too and seeya!
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Thanks for the congrats and we will be headed back up there next weekend!
    Chattanooga is a cool city! My son-in-law grew up there and has all his family there.

The place we rented the bike from was called Sloan's. We wound up riding 500 miles that day and man was it cold!!!

We did make it to gatlinburg about 3 years ago and it was extremely beautiful. We like to go to an area and rent a motel room and just explore to see what we can see. I have GPS but only use it to get back to the motel.

Nice to meet you too and seeya!
    Sounds pretty cool that you are going up there again. I am still exploring Chattanooga. Every time I am up there, I have to do something and so I don't get enough time to check the city in more detail.

Yes, I have heard of Sloan's. Don't think I have been in their store yet. 500 miles in the cold! you have more guts than me

see you again around the forums!

Now, to the drums!

User Info Menu

One of my favorite eating places in Chattanooga is Taco mamacita

109 North Market Street
    Chattanooga, TN 37405

Hours

Monday - Thursday 11 a.m. - 10 p.m.
    Friday - Saturday 11 a.m. - 11 p.m.
    Sunday 11 a.m. - 10 p.m.

The food is good, the service is good, and it's got plenty of atmosphere!

Riding in the cold is not too bad if you're dressed for it. I ride back and forth to work in the mid to low 20's. Just have to watch out for any ice!
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

One of my favorite eating places in Chattanooga is Taco mamacita

109 North Market Street
    Chattanooga, TN 37405

Hours

Monday - Thursday 11 a.m. - 10 p.m.
    Friday - Saturday 11 a.m. - 11 p.m.
    Sunday 11 a.m. - 10 p.m.

The food is good, the service is good, and it's got plenty of atmosphere!

Riding in the cold is not too bad if you're dressed for it. I ride back and forth to work in the mid to low 20's. Just have to watch out for any ice!
    Thank you very much for the tip! I will look it up when I go there again. I like Mexican food.

Mid to low 20's!! If I rode, that would have to be out, for my taste. But riding a bike is something special, so I wish you the best rides!

My husband rides a Road Glide from Harley. I always wanted to ride, but my vision is pretty poor and I don't trust me seeing out front and to the sides everything I would need to see and react at the speed I would need. I have ridden with him on occasion, which I like a lot, but that is about it with motorcycle experience on my part Not counting riding with my brother back in the day!

Now, to the drums!

User Info Menu

Thank you very much for the tip! I will look it up when I go there again. I like Mexican food.

My husband rides a Road Glide from Harley. I always wanted to ride, but my vision is pretty poor and I don't trust me seeing out front and to the sides everything I would need to see and react at the speed I would need. I have ridden with him on occasion, which I like a lot, but that is about it with motorcycle experience on my part Not counting riding with my brother back in the day!
    My wife rides and has had her own bike for 8-9 years now. She just told me last week that she's ready to sell hers because she doen't have the confidence to ride as she once did. We love to travel on the GoldWing and it's like sitting on the sofa for her. :-)

Hope you enjoy the restaurant....it's one of my faves!
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

My wife rides and has had her own bike for 8-9 years now. She just told me last week that she's ready to sell hers because she doen't have the confidence to ride as she once did. We love to travel on the GoldWing and it's like sitting on the sofa for her. :-)

Hope you enjoy the restaurant....it's one of my faves!
    Thanks for the well wishes. I will have to try it out! Hopefully, I will be able to go there.

I can understand your wife saying she is not comfortable riding right now. Maybe she is ready to relax and wait a while before the riding bug hits again

I have needed a break with different things in my life at some point or another and then after a break come back to it again with renewed energy.

My husband's Road Glide does have a comfortable back seat too. All I need then is the TV and I am all set! LOL

Now, to the drums!

User Info Menu

You're not alone. I'm here in Memphis.

User Info Menu

Well I am from Frayser .

Just about 36 miles away from Covington where I live now.