Thread: Need advice. What snare to buy?

User Info Menu

Default Need advice. What snare to buy?

I'm looking to upgrade my Yamahas.

Right now I'm using a TP100SD (and I also have a TP120SD, which I use as a floortom). I was thinking of getting either a Yamaha XP100SD or XP120SD.

But I see there are Rolands, and others. I want something that has a good feel, with good sensitive triggers.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks . . Stu

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need advice. What snare to buy?

I have the Yamaha DTX520K edrum-set and I just purchased the XP100SD to replace the XP80. So far I've been very happy with the larger pad.

User Info Menu

What module are you using? If you're using anything less than the current DTX modules then the newer Yamaha snares won't work properly for you. I believe the Roland snares will give you some trouble as well (as far as getting all the zones to work). You might be stuck with the TP100SD unless you're willing to upgrade the module.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

I am using a current DTXplorer module, and it supports all 3 zones of both the TP100SD and TP120SD . . . so I'm guessing it would support the XP, and hopefully anything else with 3 zones.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by StuSegal View Post
    I am using a current DTXplorer module, and it supports all 3 zones of both the TP100SD and TP120SD . . . so I'm guessing it would support the XP, and hopefully anything else with 3 zones.
    I think there may be a chart somewhere that states that the XP pads are only compatible with the new series modules (i.e., 500, 700, 900 series)...the reason..all the new modules have trigger settings that are specific to the XP pad (to my ears these trigger settings just sound a little hotter (lack of better word)..probably needed for TCS pad thickness)... with all that being said I believe there have been some individuals who have made them work with the DTXpress IV modules...also regarding chart compatibilities...according to one of them my DTXtreme I RHP pads aren't supposed to be compatible with the DTXtreme III/900 module series modules (i.e., no two zones)...the chart is wrong I am able to get both zones to work on my RHP's...so my suggestion would be to try it out if you can..you never know it may work (probably)...

User Info Menu

Yamaha has stated that the new TCS pads will not work properly with previous modules. In fact, the "newer" modules are basically the same as the versions they are replacing, but with the added support for the TCS pads. For example, I own a DTX500 module and it is no different from a DTXpress IV aside from the fact that it supports the new pads. Those that own a DTXtreme III are able to do a firmware upgrade to turn their module into a DTX900 because, again, the only true difference (aside from looks) is the added support for the new pads.

If you're seriously considering purchasing a TCS pad I'd suggest bringing your module to the store and plugging it into the pad before buying it. I've never tried it myself so I can't say that I definitely know it doesn't work, but everything I've read suggests the pads aren't reliable, or even functional at all, on anything other than the newest DTX modules.

User Info Menu

Interesting. I just got done reading all the compatibility charts at the Yamaha website, and I also downloaded the XP100SD User Manual.

If I believe the Yamaha info (and I think I ought to), the XPs will work with only a DTX900. And the best deal I can find on one is about $1,550 - so this would be a seriously expensive snare drum upgrade!

Thanks for the info - it would have been really frustrating to buy one and discover it won't work.

How about other snares? Rolands?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by StuSegal View Post
    Interesting. I just got done reading all the compatibility charts at the Yamaha website, and I also downloaded the XP100SD User Manual.

If I believe the Yamaha info (and I think I ought to), the XPs will work with only a DTX900. And the best deal I can find on one is about $1,550 - so this would be a seriously expensive snare drum upgrade!

Thanks for the info - it would have been really frustrating to buy one and discover it won't work.

How about other snares? Rolands?
    No..That's old info...the DTX500 & 700 modules both work with the XP pads (and are considerably cheaper..$259 & $799 respectively and you can probably save a little more off by going to RMCAudio)...both of those modules are sold with XP pads..the 500 is basically a DTXpress IV with ugraded firmware...the 700 module is brand new and looks very promising...actually has some features that the 900 does not have...I'm sure that will change soon.....you don't want to use a roland snare with your yamaha module...personally, if you don't want to spend the money on a new module..I'd try taking your module in somewhere that has the new pad and see if it works..it just may...I have read over at another forum that some users have got the XP pad to work on the DTXpress IV...and as I stated earlier my pads (DTXtreme I RHP) were supposedly not compatible with the DTXtreme III/900 module...they are and work fine...so you never know...
    Last edited by scorch whammin; 10-28-2011 at 01:30 PM.

User Info Menu

The XP pads (or TCS pads, same thing) work with ANY of the current DTX modules -- DTX500, DTX700, and DTX900. So, as scorch whammin pointed out, you could get a DTX500 for less than $300 if you really wanted to upgrade. It's a better module than the one you're currently using AND it'll allow you to use any of the hardware currently available from Yamaha.

I browsed through a few threads on the Yamaha forum and it seems the XP pads most definitely won't work with the older modules. So unless you're willing to jump into the current generation of modules, the TP120SD is as good as it gets (which is still not bad, those are nice pads).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
    ...the reason..all the new modules have trigger settings that are specific to the XP pad (to my ears these trigger settings just sound a little hotter (lack of better word)..probably needed for TCS pad thickness)...
    Good ears!

Page 6 of the XP100SD Manual states;
    When the XP series pad is used with a DTX Series Drum Trigger Module, enter the module's Trigger Setup Edit display
    and set the Gain (pad input level) parameter so that the display reads 90-95% when the pad is struck strongly.