Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wraps v Finish

User Info Menu

Default Wraps v Finish

I had this idea when I was looking through the drum pictures thread. I couldn't find another thread covering this, so:

Where do you stand? Do you like your drums wrapped, or do you like them professionally finished?

I find it hard to believe that there's a notable difference in the sound, so for me it's a purely aesthetic choice. As gorgeous as some wraps are, it just doesn't do it for me. It may not seem like a valid reason to you guys, but they're just not real. It's like seeing somebody in awesome clothes vs an amazing naked body. (Horrible analogy, sorry. )

Another reason why I hate wraps: warping, bubbling, peeling. Now, I know with "higher end" and contemporary wraps, this shouldn't be an issue....but you never know.

How do you guys feel?
    Drums:
    Ludwig Classic Maple
    Tama Starclassic Performer

Cymbals:
    20" K ride
    20" K custom dry ride
    16" A custom crash
    14" New Beat hats
    14" K custom dark crash
    Ensembles
    Oregon Crusaders (DCI) 09 - bass 4
    OC Indoor (WGI) '10 - Snare 3rd place PIO
    OC Indoor (WGI) '11 - Snare PIW FINALIST!
    University of Oregon marching band '09 '10 '11 - Snare

User Info Menu

Default Re: Wraps v Finish

I personally prefer lacquer finishes. Just usually look better to me. I wouldn't feel as bad cosmetically damaging a wrapped kit than a lacquered kit, so if i were to gig I'd feel a lot better taking a wrapped kit, just in case, but that's pretty much it..
    Mind you, if it looked good i wouldn't care whether it was wrapped, lacquered or drawn on with crayons
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

I'm a fan of both. Just as I like the great look of my Ludwig Epics done in Natural To Black Fade lacquered finish, I also like wrapped sets, but I'm really a fan of the classic and vintage era wraps. There are some guys' wrapped sets here that really have the "wow" factor for me, guys like Olimpass's and Ploughman's collections.....those kind of finishes are just great not only from an aesthetic but a collector's and a historic point of view too....even modern wraps can't duplicate those looks.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by almostmatt1 View Post
    I personally prefer lacquer finishes. Just usually look better to me. I wouldn't feel as bad cosmetically damaging a wrapped kit than a lacquered kit, so if i were to gig I'd feel a lot better taking a wrapped kit, just in case, but that's pretty much it..
    Mind you, if it looked good i wouldn't care whether it was wrapped, lacquered or drawn on with crayons
    My opinion exactly. Prefer a lacquer job but would gig with a wrapped kit.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

I prefer transparent lacquers. Especially when Yamaha does them :P
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I prefer lacquer. I've only had experience with 1 wrapped kit. It faded, peeled and just generally seemed like a hassle to me. I've never had any issues with my lacquer kits. My current kit is a Mapex kit in super nova red burst. Many people think it must be a wrap but it's actually a lacquer.

This isn't my kit (mine has chrome hardware) but this is the finish...

ThePloughman Guest

Paint that.

User Info Menu

Both can look really nice, but I've always preferred wraps. They protect the shell a bit better and you can have so many more options looks wise with wraps. You don't have to worry quite as much about little bumps and nicks. But again, I've seen some really beautiful lacquers as well.
    A repo man spends his life getting into tense situations.

Premier Cabria Jazz: 10/12/14/20
    Mapex Dillinger Snare
    Sabian:
    AA 14" Regular Hats
    AAX 18" X-Plosion Crash
    AAX 20" Studio Ride
    HHX 18" X-Plosion Crash
    Paragon 19" Chinese
    Evans
    Vater Stewart Copeland Drumsticks

User Info Menu

Edit- the more I look at my kit, the more I think I may have done things backwards.

I swapped from a stain to a wrapped kit, due in part to prevent some minor dings and scuffs. My snares, however, are both stains. Perhaps it would have made more sense to have the snares wrapped, or a durable metal finish such as that on a Black Beauty or Noble & Cooley Alloy.

I love the White Marine Pearl and would also have been happy with a copper, dark red, dark blue, or silver sparkle. A natural finish with some heavy coats of poly for protection would also be attractive to me.
    Last edited by MrB; 10-26-2011 at 12:16 AM.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Since I am a fan of seeing the grain of the wood, I prefer a lacquered finish. The one exception that I have made is White Marine Pearl wrap. I've got that one on my Gretsch Catalina Elite jazz kit, and it looks great.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Hmmm?. I like lacquer finishes just a bit more than wrap. I do however like wrapped kits.

I'm a sucker for a nice transparent finish in many different colors.
    I also dig the sparkle/broken glass finishes and I know they can be done both in wrap or lacquer.

The only real negative for me on the wraps would be the SEEMS...not pretty IMO, But I am currently salivating over a wrapped SS DW kit.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
    Do you like your drums wrapped, or do you like them professionally finished?

Yes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumstix View Post
    My opinion exactly. Prefer a lacquer job but would gig with a wrapped kit.
    This.
    Dw | Zildjian | Pro-Mark | Evans

User Info Menu

i have a lacquer kit , but if i were going to get a new kit today it would be a green sparkle kit for sure.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Yes
    Drums:
    Ludwig Classic Maple

Cymbals:
    20" K ride
    20" K custom dry ride
    16" A custom crash
    14" New Beat hats
    14" K custom dark crash
    Ensembles

User Info Menu

I personally use a wrap kit, it holds up to scratches better and looks great. However, I prefer wood grain to be visible. None of the shells I've made have been wrapped because they're all made of an exotic wood, Sapele. The look is unbeatable. No need for paint, just clear coat over nature's work.
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

I love a nice lacquer. I love the stained wood grain coming through. I love an over the top sparkle in the lacquer. I need more drums!

User Info Menu

I like both, but growing up in drumming in the mid to late sixties, most of what was popular was wrapped! example Ploughmans collection, but Ludwig and Slingerland had this as well..And the beauty of Wood, both natural and stained is...well...breathtaking..if I was as rich as some on this site I would have both!
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

I love lacquers cause of the wood grain showing and they look like pieces of furniture. I would'nt mind a wrap though like a blue sparkle of some kind.

User Info Menu

No wraps for me...

User Info Menu

Both have their virtues I think. Up until about late 70's, early 80's, Laquer sets were rare and wraps were the the norm. Wrapping allowed mass production because wood selection wasn't as critical. Wrapped drums take road abuse better. Drummers, I guess, are more anal about the dings, scratches and dents! Most guitars are laquered and the little damages become "badges of honour" I've never seen wrapped guitars or fiddles LOL!
    I suppose if one could see fit financially, it would be great to have one of each.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Drummers, I guess, are more anal about the dings, scratches and dents! Most guitars are laquered and the little damages become "badges of honor" I've never seen wrapped guitars or fiddles LOL!
    I suppose if one could see fit financially, it would be great to have one of each.

all the best...
    I never thought of the guitar "badge of honor" thing before but you're right. Our bassist has two guitars and uses both, but I think the beat up and worn 60s Fender looks the best. I'd hate it, though, if my drum shells looked like that. They'd play the same but I'd hate the way they looked.
    Weird.
    Oh, on topic, I think I prefer wrapped. No laquered. No wrapped. No laquered. N....
    Last edited by Cliff5550; 10-25-2011 at 01:58 PM.
    Drumming since 1965 and still going!
    Max Weinberg - "More than any other drummer, Ringo Starr changed my life.
    The impact and memory of that band on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964 will never leave me."

"Sometimes you'd come up against a brick wall... or sometimes you go into a fill and you'd know halfway through it was going to be disastrous."
    John Bonham

www.willieandtheblueshounds.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Both have their virtues I think. Up until about late 70's, early 80's, Laquer sets were rare and wraps were the the norm. Wrapping allowed mass production because wood selection wasn't as critical. Wrapped drums take road abuse better. Drummers, I guess, are more anal about the dings, scratches and dents! Most guitars are laquered and the little damages become "badges of honour" I've never seen wrapped guitars or fiddles LOL!

all the best...
    What a great point. My bass has all kinds of dings and scratches and I think they are cool! But not so much on my drums.

User Info Menu

Think wood grain is just lovely, though i like the durability of a wrap, and man can they sparkle!!!!
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    What a great point. My bass has all kinds of dings and scratches and I think they are cool! But not so much on my drums.

Same here. I've got a Strat that's got plenty of chips and scratches in the paint and I think of it as having character. But the bass drum hoops on my Starclassic also have alot of chips (traveling without cases..yikes) and I cringe every time I see them.
    Drums:
    Ludwig Classic Maple

Cymbals:
    20" K ride
    20" K custom dry ride
    16" A custom crash
    14" New Beat hats
    14" K custom dark crash
    Ensembles