Thread: Need help. Marching snare build date.

User Info Menu

Default Need help. Marching snare build date.

Hi Fellow drummers,
    This is my second post. Still a Newbie with this Forum. Lots of great topics and info here.
    I've put my drumkit aside for awhile and have recently gotten interested in traditional rudimental drumming and drumcorp music. Not being sure if I'd like the experience I sought a used marching snare to practice. I know...the Pad is where to start and acquire technique.
    I found a decent Ludwig 12X14 VECTOR marching snare on eBay. I didn't want to spend too much and most of the used Free-Floaters were too expensive at this stage for me.
    I would like to know if someone could provide a 'guestimate' of the date my Ludwig marching snare was manufactured based on the following description. Sorry! I don't have a pic. The drum is dismantled for refurbishing.
    I have compared the drum with the model that appears in the Ludwig Marching Percussion Catalog currently posted on the Ludwig.com website. The major differences observed on the drum I have are: a) No Ludwig logo on the side of the white cortex finish. b) No die cast hoop on the snare side. Double flanged hoop in place. c) Snare guards are narrow, painted black and fastened to the hoop by tension rods. Heads are not original. The Keystone badge bears a number: 3240445.
    I know it's not the most exciting find...but once restored with the proper heads and the snare guts tuned...it should be OK for my purpose. Hey! I'm not out to audition for the SCV or PR...Lol !!
    Thanks for any help.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need help. Marching snare build date.

You should be able to date it with the badge number.
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Their site puts it at 1966.
    1997 DW collectors kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Thank you for the reply Deedubs!
    Well I tried several times to access the Ludwig website section (Support) to find info that was indicated for: Shell Date Guide and Serial Number Guide. The access was never acknowledged and web link NOT responding.
    That was the reason for me to come to the Forum and seek some advice.

With regards to corresponding the serial number with the approximate date you have come up with I'm a bit skeptical with 1966. From what I have gathered to date regarding 'Ludwig marching snares' it would appear that the Challenger was the series available then with the P-87 throw-off and strainer. The VECTOR having the reinforced shell ring on the batter head and the (then newer) P-90 Keystone throw-off and strainer I was told was introduced somewhere in the late 1980's and early 1990's.
    The distinctive differences with the current (2010-11) version of the VECTOR marching snare and the one I have are subtle. I was hoping that someone had a catalog from the late '80 or early '90 that would show the VECTOR as it appeared at that period in order to compare with the drum I have.
    Thanks.

User Info Menu

Well I'm not sure if the serial number guide on their site applies for all drum categories. The thing is if it has a "keystone" badge, then it has to be before the 70's, cause they switched badges then. That's how I remember the facts anyway. So let me know if you find out any new info. Plus pics always help. A couple of the drum, and a least one good one of the badge. I'll make sure to check back for pics and such.
    1997 DW collectors kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Does the drum look in anyway like this?
    1997 DW collectors kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Deedubs,
    I have attempted to reply to your response. For some unknown reason ??? the reply has not been posted.
    I suspect a MOD may have decided to block my attempt to politely send a courteous and informative response to you regarding the pic you submitted. I fear that exchange of information is limilted here. So I will defer to another Forum. Thanks anyway.

User Info Menu

Buddy, I'm not sure about your referenced reply but nobody is blocking anything. There's an auto-moderation in place for new members. It keeps the spam out. It's a minor inconvenience but it doesn't last long. Thanks for your patience.

User Info Menu

Thank you Drummer.
    I realize I might have sounded frustrated. I was aware of the auto-moderation. However, I found that after 2 days past my posting the reply that it was more than ....'not too long'...as you infered in your reply.
    I can understand the purpose of controlling or screening for the good of the members here. I would have liked to be able to contact a MOD about this first...but the Rules are NO PM until 25+ posts or NO Email until 5+ posts to any Mod or Admin. Strangely...in the FAQ section...under MOD or Admin it reads: feel free to contact them anytime (?). I guess I hadn't yet earned the right. Thanks Tom.

User Info Menu

By "doesn't last long", I meant that after a handful of posts the auto-moderation goes away. I realize that we've taken a little longer recently to get your posts approved. I am sorry about that. We try to get to them right away but sometimes get behind. The forum is more popular than it used to be.

Honestly, I wasn't aware of the post limit for e-mailing or PM'ing mods or admin. I'll look into that and see if we can get it changed.

User Info Menu

Hi Drummer,
    I'm back to acknowledge your reply. Thanks for taking time to respond and consider the issues I encountered with my 'illusive' post. It hasn't yet appeared BTW. I only hope Deedubs was not offended by not having gotten a reply about the pic he had kindly taking the trouble to post with the intent to get my validation of the model of marching snare he was illustrating.

With regards to not being able to contact a MOD or Admin until a level of 'postings' has occurred..that response comes up when I tried to send a PM and/or an email to Bish that was the Online Mod at the time I was attempting to get assistance. OTOH, the mention of feel free to contact a MOD anytime is located in the Section: Forum Rules & Regulations under the Heading: Moderators.

Although I am NEW to this Forum...I am registered on others (since we can't mention them, as per the Rules...etc I am observant of the protocol.) and have found this Forum (for a 50+ drumbum!) to be very interesting by its broad representation of all types of drummers and percussionists alike. So Cheers! to those that keep it going.

User Info Menu

I forgot about how they reintroduced the keystone throughout the years, but they always looked (and still do) like cheap versions of the early keystone badge. So with that said it will be way easier to get a ballpark age with a picture of the keystone badge on your snare.
    1997 DW collectors kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware