Thread: Best Batter/Reso Combo?

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Best Batter/Reso Combo?

Whats your guys opinion on Batter and reso for both Snare, toms, and even bass?
    Im thinking of trying (for my next set) Remo Pins over EC-Resos?

Just want to see a few suggestions and hear from the pros :P
    Specs

Drums: Gretsch Catalina Maple (Dark Cherry Burst) 8,10,12,14,16 toms 14 snare 22 bass
    Heads: Remo Pinstripes over Ambassadors on toms
    Bass: Stock Grestch stock reso and Evans EC2 batter
    Snare: Ambassador over Ambassador reso, PureSound Snares
    Cymbals: Zildjian A MasterSound HiHats 14"
    Sabian Xs20 Crashes 16"/18"
    Zildjian 20th Anniversary A Custom ride 21"
    Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

http://www.facebook.com/AWorkInProgressBand

^^^Like my band!!^^^

ThePloughman Guest

Default Re: Best Batter/Reso Combo?

Snare. Coated Ambassador over Ambassador clear snare side, Coated Diplomat over Ambassador Clear Snare Side.

Toms: Coated Ambassador over Clear/Coated Ambassadors or Diplomats
    Coated Diplomat over Diplomat clears or ambassador coated.

Bass: Evans EQ4, Fiberskyn reso. SK1with fiberskyn reso
    Last edited by ThePloughman; 10-25-2011 at 07:45 PM.

User Info Menu

The best kick sound I've ever had came from an Aquarian Super Kick 2 with an Aquarian Regulator.

Snare and toms I'm kinda up in the air on. Plus I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction, since it really depends on the style you are playing and how much projection you need.

Maybe if you let us know what type of sound you are looking to accomplish and we could be more helpful.

Unless you are just doing like a pole of what our fav.s are based on what we do individually. In which case I am WAY over thinking my post.
    Drummer for Almondy Brown and Redeemer Church of Lakeland | Session Artist | Private Instructor
    Facebook.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Instagram.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Twitter.com/PerryEarlDrums
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu

I use EC2's over EC resos on my toms. EC frosted with reverse dot over Hazy 300 on snare and Remo Power Stroke 3(PS3) over Aquarian 2ply reso on bass. The sound of my kit is nice deep and warm.

User Info Menu

Well for my toms i like a nice deep sound, with little to NO ring. kind of like metal drummers have it (i dont play metal, i just like the sound :P) My snare i like to be a nice Tight, crisp, crack with a little pop. and my bass drum (which i like how i have now) is Evans Emad Dampened head(batter) and stock reso. with no porthole and a pillow in it to muffle more. it has a quick muffled punchy sound.

To wrap it up: Toms deep and quick, Snare tight and crisp, bass quick and punchy.

any suggestions? my onyx right now, dont sound how i like my toms to sound. (maybe its the drums? idk. im doing the basic tuning technique-- Reso finger tight then 1 half then 1/4 turn.. Batter finger tight then 1/2 then 1/8 turn) Idk xD haha
    Specs

Drums: Gretsch Catalina Maple (Dark Cherry Burst) 8,10,12,14,16 toms 14 snare 22 bass
    Heads: Remo Pinstripes over Ambassadors on toms
    Bass: Stock Grestch stock reso and Evans EC2 batter
    Snare: Ambassador over Ambassador reso, PureSound Snares
    Cymbals: Zildjian A MasterSound HiHats 14"
    Sabian Xs20 Crashes 16"/18"
    Zildjian 20th Anniversary A Custom ride 21"
    Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

http://www.facebook.com/AWorkInProgressBand

^^^Like my band!!^^^

User Info Menu

Snares and bass drums are generally personal preference. 2-ply coated over 1-ply clear (Remo Emperor over Ambassador, Evans G2 over G1) seem to be most versatile and popular tom choices.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Larrysperf Guest

There is no best you have to find the sound you want. I like the sound I get from coated EC2, Bass I use EMADs. My set is Birch On my snare I use Med coated Ludwig head

User Info Menu

frazzetto, you might want to look at the aquarian performance II heads for tom batter. something a little thinner for the bottom
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Drummers always talk about finding their sound. That means playing a lot of heads. It's the only way you'll ever know what works for you. It sounds like a pain but it really is kind of fun trying new things.

What I've been doing is replacing my heads before they are worn out. When I take them off I store them to try to build up a "library" of heads. I just started doing this recently. So far on the toms I've been through clear emperors over clear ambassadors and coated emperors over coated ambassadors. On the bass I've gone through powerstroke 3, EQ3, Superkick II. I really haven't tackled the snare yet. I've been running primarily a coated ambassador over a hazy ambassador. But at some point I'll start experimenting there too.

One of the things I've learned is that there isn't just one sound that I like. I'm finding multiple sounds that I like but I might like them in different situations. For example I ended up really loving both the clear and coated tom heads. I find that I like the coated heads for that classic rock sound and I like the clear heads for a more modern sounds. I'm finding the same thing in cymbals as well. I have accumulated a couple sets of cymbals now and even though they are very different (Paiste 2002s and Zildjian K Custom Darks) I really enjoy both of them in different music.

So don't get frustrated by the process. Enjoy the variety and experimentation to figure out what you really love.
    Last edited by Doc_d; 10-26-2011 at 07:08 AM.

User Info Menu

Also, I think you are confusing a nice deep sound with drums that have "no ring". Drums ring. They are designed to do so and need to do so to fit into the "mix" properly. Most of the ringing becomes buried in the contest of the band anyway.

Good heads and proper tuning will allow a great deep tone and plenty of ring. I play in a metal band and I want as much ringing as possible from my toms.

Drums that have no ring sound absolutely terrible.

User Info Menu

I haven't actually gone and bought new reso heads... ever. I've always used the stock ones. One ply and clear would resonate the most I would imagine, but that's probably a bit naive on my behalf.

Batter heads, for the snare, the Aquarian Hi Energy is a winner. Gives me the right amount of both crack and body and lasts for ages. At the moment I have an Aquarian Focus X on the snare which is pretty good too, bit warmer then the energy which is nice. I sticky taped 2 small strips of paper onto the reso head, one at each end of the snare wires, which minimised some of the ring. Kick drum, I'm using a superkick 1. Nice, meaty, focused sound. The stock reso has a couple felt strips stuck to the inside to control the boominess a bit. Toms, Aquarian response 2's, although I'm not the biggest fan of them. Bit too open. I'm thinking maybe ec2's or something coated next time.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Also, I think you are confusing a nice deep sound with drums that have "no ring". Drums ring. They are designed to do so and need to do so to fit into the "mix" properly. Most of the ringing becomes buried in the contest of the band anyway.

Good heads and proper tuning will allow a great deep tone and plenty of ring. I play in a metal band and I want as much ringing as possible from my toms.

Drums that have no ring sound absolutely terrible.
    Ditto