Default Snare builds and types..

Ok, so as far as I know there are the following types of kit snares:
    Aluminum
    Steel
    Nickel
    Bronze
    Brass
    Wood

I don't understand something; when it says metal snare's, does it mean there is no wood in the construction, or that the metal just cover the wood.

Also, what qualities are associated with different types of snares. To my understanding metal snares offer more cut and punch while wood snares sound warmer and fuller...

Maybe the difference between metals isn't huge, but analogously there is a reason why brass instruments are brass, and not bronze or steel.

So what qualities are associated with each type of metal, and what do metal and wood snares bring to the table?

Thanks
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare builds and types..

I've played metal snares (Steel), and I've played wood (Maple, Birch, Poplar and bubinga).

Steel sounds lively, loud and open.

Wood is warm and rounded (in varying degrees depending on the wood).

That's only my opinion of course.

Don't know about brass, bronze and nickel as I've not played them.

Metal snares are usually all metal, no wood involved.

Hope this helps.

User Info Menu

Go play a Black Beauty, it will let you hear all you need to know about brass snares.

Still the best snare on the market.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Go play a Black Beauty, it will let you hear all you need to know about brass snares.

Still the best snare on the market.
    Sounds like a good idea (no pun intended) though recently I have been looking into the following snares:
    DW knurled Bronze
    Pearl Ultracast Aluminum
    Tama Superstar (heard it at a rehearsal studio yesterday combined with a gretsch kit, sounded pretty good considering the head had no coating left on it, and had a bit of dents in the lugs (the equipment was terrible, I had to tune the drums when I got there, the heads had multiple dents in them, there was two evans G2 heads, a remo pinstripe, and a remo emperor head on the snare, high tom, mid tom and low tom respectively)

Oh and the cymbals (an unmarked hi-hat probably SABIAN, by the very faint logo, (unmarked because the logo faded away, and an HH Rock Crash, which sounded OK) were both cracked. I did however get an opportunity to try out the AAX RBDR (this one looked relatively new, relative to the rest of the equipment, and even that might be five or so years old) and I like the sound of it, but the bell just isn't what I am looking for, it sounds too "explosive." Its kind of like it builds up upon stick impact, delays for a split second, then comes out all at once, slightly after you hit it.
    Last edited by Fifty; 10-28-2011 at 10:30 PM.
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford