Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinstripes VS. EC2's

User Info Menu

Default Pinstripes VS. EC2's

Hey all! Hope all is well.

My band is planning out everything for the album that we are recording over Christmas break. When I bought my drumset used, it had some remo ambassadors on the toms. I liked them, but I thought I'd try something different. I purchased some Evans Clear G1's and used them for a while. They were alright, but they didn't end up being what I was really looking for, so I put the ambassadors back on.

I'm by no means 100% head loyal, but the other heads on my kit were Evans (HD Dry on snare and Emad on bass) so that's why I went with the Evans tom heads. I'm pretty sure the slight muffling from a two ply head and stripe is what I am wanting to have on my toms, especially for this record. I know of a friend who has the same kit I have and he uses pinstripes and I know for a fact that I love that sound on DW collectors drums.

I guess I just want your guys' opinion. Should I go with what I know for a fact sounds good, or go for the Evans equivalent (I think the EC2 is at least?) and go for the all-Evans thing.

Thanks so much!
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pinstripes VS. EC2's

ive been using pinstripes for years , my favorite head by far....
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

pinstripes are great for getting a fat sound out of. im a single ply fan myself, but pinstripes have been on one of my kits on the past.

User Info Menu

I haven't tried pinstripes to be honest, but my school as a set of roto toms with pinstripes on them, I'll check them out during music tomorrow and let you know what I think

Note, the roto toms are a replacement for timpani LOL, their arguement is that they are cheaper, and still tunable, therefore you can still teach a student to play timpani on roto toms (there isn't even three, there's two LOL)

Edit, I have clear emperors on my drum set, which as far as I know are the Remo equivalent to EC2's and I love the sound I get from them, I think I am going to put Emperors on both sides (Right now there are diplomats on my reso side) I want to try pinstripes (clear) sometime to see how they sound on my kit...

Edit #2, my bad I meant emperors are the G2 equivalent of remo.
    Last edited by Fifty; 10-30-2011 at 08:51 PM.
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fifty View Post
    I haven't tried pinstripes to be honest, but my school as a set of roto toms with pinstripes on them, I'll check them out during music tomorrow and let you know what I think

Note, the roto toms are a replacement for timpani LOL, their arguement is that they are cheaper, and still tunable, therefore you can still teach a student to play timpani on roto toms (there isn't even three, there's two LOL)

Edit, I have clear emperors on my drum set, which as far as I know are the Remo equivalent to EC2's and I love the sound I get from them, I think I am going to put Emperors on both sides (Right now there are diplomats on my reso side) I want to try pinstripes (clear) sometime to see how they sound on my kit...

Edit #2, my bad I meant emperors are the G2 equivalent of remo.
    LOL my school had rotos instead of timpanis too. I went to a small school and the budget wasn't too high lol.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

I personally don't like pinstripes at all. Too dead sounding. Never tried ec2s though, been meaning to for a while now.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

I am looking into pinstripes as well. woulnt mind input. I have onyx over EC Resos. the resos are cool. but onyx is toooooo dark for me.
    Specs

Drums: Gretsch Catalina Maple (Dark Cherry Burst) 8,10,12,14,16 toms 14 snare 22 bass
    Heads: Remo Pinstripes over Ambassadors on toms
    Bass: Stock Grestch stock reso and Evans EC2 batter
    Snare: Ambassador over Ambassador reso, PureSound Snares
    Cymbals: Zildjian A MasterSound HiHats 14"
    Sabian Xs20 Crashes 16"/18"
    Zildjian 20th Anniversary A Custom ride 21"
    Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

http://www.facebook.com/AWorkInProgressBand

^^^Like my band!!^^^

User Info Menu

I recently put Coated EC2's on all of my toms, and they have never sounded better! I have used a number of Remo heads in the past, and so far, the EC2's are my favorite head. They stay tuned better than any others I have used also.
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

User Info Menu

I'm not a Remo guy. But I do have EC2 heads on my Tama Swingstar kit and I absolutely love the sound of it, it's also got G1 resos.

User Info Menu

I've used both heads. I like Pinstripes - it's what's currently on my Pearl SMX. I do NOT like EC2s at all, mainly because for me, I have one heck of a time getting them in tune. They are similar in tone to Pins - maybe a bit darker - but the fact that I have a hard time keeping them in tune (and that's not a problem I typically have) takes them off of my list. EC2s were the first set of heads I tried on this kit, and at the time I vowed never to get another set. A year or so ago a friend of mine talked me into getting another set, mainly because they had since changed the muffling ring, but it was the same story, and I took them off before they were even played out and replaced them with an set of Pinstripes that still had some play left in them.

So, for me between the two, I'm Pinstripes all the way, every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

I have said this many times I love the EC2's over EC Resos best combination for my MCX maple kit.

User Info Menu

Like any other similar threads about "which heads should I buy"you are going to get so many different responses and you won't really know for yourself until you try. I've gone through quite a few heads to look for a sound that I heard in my head and settled with Aquarian Super 2's after trying numerous combos.

Pinstripes- IMO for that classic rock thuddy sound, recorded they sound great with little sustain and resonance. They last fairly long, I have a buddy who plays them all the time and he beats on those things like crazy, they hold up pretty well. Also I find these best tuned low to medium, too high they just seem choked. Aquarian Performance II are similar to pinstripes and are said to take a beating as well. I used my heads for a couple months only. They sound great tuned low to mid as well.

EC2- For me they have a bit more tone than pinstripes, but If I had to chose between the two I would chose EC2. Again tuned Low to med is where these heads shine. I had more success tuning slightly higher with these heads.

EC2 SST Coated- I really liked these heads, a bit warmer than the clear EC2. Again, more success tuning higher if needed. The only thing I didn't like was the quality control on these. Perhaps I got a bad head but they dented fairly quickly and I'm not a heavy hitter or have my Toms on a wicked angle. However at the time I was using Vater Fusion sticks that have a rounded tip which is known to dent heads. funny thing is on any of my other heads...no dents.

I would also look at Aquarian super 2's, awesome heads which you could always muffle with monogel or look at the Studio X or Focus X Ring Super 2's.

Good luck and have fun trying out those heads!
    Mapex Saturn Red Sparkle 10, 12, 14, 22
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Snare 14 x 6,

Mapex Armory Photon Blue 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    Tomahawk 14x5.5 Snare

Meinl 20" Dark Raw Bell Ride, 20" Traditional Extra Thin Hand Hammered Crash, 18" Sand Thin Crash, 14" Byzance Dark Hats

Samsun 22" Design series Ride, 13" Design Series Hats, 16" FX Loop Effects Crash + 12" Raw Earth Splash (stacker)

Tama Speed Cobra (single pedal), Tama Iron Cobra (double pedal)

User Info Menu

EC2 SST's for me...I'm pretty much an Evans convert...everything evans on my kit..

User Info Menu

Not much help here as I only use Pins. I like the fat rock sound from my toms.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Personally, I outfitted my Yamaha Oak Customs with the Aquarian Focus-X coated heads and I couldnt ask for a better sound. The heads have a small dampening ring on the underside of the head to slightly attenuate the over-ring but not so much that would remove the sustain and of course the coated adds a bit of warmth to the overall sound.
    Just another "option" you might consider.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

I saw a band last night that had the clear EC2's and I fell in love with them. Decision made. Thanks so much friends!
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

I use a pinstripe on my 16" floor tom, with a coated ambassador as the reso.
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by isaacvining View Post
    I saw a band last night that had the clear EC2's and I fell in love with them. Decision made. Thanks so much friends!

nooooooooooooooooo! get the pinstripes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I have said this many times I love the EC2's over EC Resos best combination for my MCX maple kit.
    ...And on my Sonors, too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    ...And on my Sonors, too!
    On any drumkit too I guess.

User Info Menu

Pin's vote here.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

late to the party...EC2 SST/G1 clear....my toms come ALIVE!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    late to the party...EC2 SST/G1 clear....my toms come ALIVE!!!
    That is a good combo. Might throw one of my EC2s from my Swingstar kit on the Starclassic just to get a feel for how they sound compared to the G2 coated.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    That is a good combo. Might throw one of my EC2s from my Swingstar kit on the Starclassic just to get a feel for how they sound compared to the G2 coated.
    You will love the sound marko believe me. The only difference I can see is the built in muffling ring which tones it down a little cause you don't need any moogel etc. That's what I found with experimenting with this head.

User Info Menu

I think I'm going to try the ec2 heads on my toms next time I change my heads!
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware