Thread: Which Acoustic Kit?!

User Info Menu

Default Which Acoustic Kit?!

Tbh, im a bit premature with this thread really, but its always stook at the front of my mind.

Ive only been playing around 18mths or so and am currently getting lessons, albeit only one a fortnight!

It the min, I live in a terraced house and play a Roland TD4KX electronic kit, I cannot wait for the day that we eventually move into a detached or more insulated home so I can purchase an acoustic kit. I love playing my electronic kit, but as you will all know, its just not the same as being sat behind an acoustic kit.

I cannot wait!! at the min, I treat this as a bonus, im only learning and not very good, and no one can hear me! lol....I sat behind a acoustic kit about 6 months ago for 30 seconds in a pub, the guy said I could have a go, but bearing in mind, id had several pints (ok for dutch courage!) but all my mates etc. sat facing me, i did a basic rock grove for about 30 seconds, but the noise, feel and excitement for me was unreal, pah! to my electronic kit!

Although, my instructor has 3 acoustic kits, plays in a couple of bands, he practices 90% of the time on his Roland electronic, im certainly not disliking the kit, its great.....just not the real deal in my eyes!!

So, my premature question to you guys is, when ready, what acoustic kit to go for! I payed £1,100 for my Roland set up, quite expensive, but well worth it and Im certainly getting my moneys worth from it.

Ive got a rough figure in my head of £1,500 or below for a kit and around £500 for cymbals & hardware, about £2,000 in total.

One kit I do like the look of it the Mapex Saturn kit, ive read a few reviews and they look to be quite compatible with different kids of music and seem to be a decent well liked brand. The music I seem to play mostly is Pop/Rock.

I supose my answer will be 'try before I buy'! and will be down to individual taste, problem for me, is im still only learning and ive never really played an acoustic kit, so dont know what im really looking for!

Anyway, any help, advice etc. is more than welcome......but again could be some time off this, just always wondering!!!

Thanks again,

Tubbs

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which Acoustic Kit?!

I would like to mention Pearl MCX are a great sounding kit and affordable around the same price as the Saturns but there are alot of kits out there in your price range. I would advise you to try some out at your local drum store or you can read reviews etc. Good luck.

User Info Menu

I have a Saturn kit, they are amazing, i got my shell pack for £1000 that would leave you some extra for maybe a new snare??

Cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

As PMCX said anything in that price range is going to be good. MCX, Gretsch Renown, Mapex Saturn, Tama Superstar and possibly Starclassic are just a few of the options. It all boils down to personal preference so get out there and try them out.

One piece of advice I can give, which others will echo, is don't skimp on cymbals. I would say about spending slightly less on drums (or getting them used) and spending more on cymbals is a smart way to go.

Drums like Mapex Meridian, Tams Silverstar and Superstar, Ludwig Epic, etc... that are one notch down from MCX are still great drums. Just something to consider.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Yeah, what Kaos said.

Skimp a little on the drums and spend it on the cymbals. If you can afford to go with a pack of nice ones, like the Zildjian A Custom pack, that comes with a free somthin-or-other, and then dump the rest of your money into a used mid-level kit, you will be much happier than you would with a new mid-level kit and cheaper cymbals.

Cymbals are an investment, hardware can be upgraded at will, and drums can be swapped out the next time you find a smokin' deal on a used mid-to-pro level shell pack.
    Drummer for Almondy Brown and Redeemer Church of Lakeland | Session Artist | Private Instructor
    Facebook.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Instagram.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Twitter.com/PerryEarlDrums
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu

I only spent 600 on my PDP MX Kit. I don't know if PDP's have been considered. So you could have a nice kit for cheap, and still have money left over for cymbals.

User Info Menu

Just looking a bit further into this, I could source (something like) a Mapex Saturn 4 shell for around £1,000.

Zildjian Custom A Pack, 14" A Custom HiHats,16" A Custom Crash, 20" A Custom Medium Ride with free 18" A Custom Crash and Free 21" Bag
    for £750.

And something like Mapex Brass Cat Snare for £250.

Thats the £2,000 mark, im sure if I source all from one area that I would get some decent hardware thown in!! or a 10% discount and I could buy elsewhere, I do realise that bass drum pedal/s and hi hat stand etc will cost more again, I already like the sound of Mapex Falcon or Iron Cobra, so I was maybe £500 under my original budget, but tbh I just plucked that figure from thin air, and plently of time to re-evaluate this.

I suspose nearer the time, I will have become more competent and maybe know a bit more of what I actually want, im not going to be gigging or anything like that, just my own pleasure at home, but would like something decent to start with as with my Roland electronic, basic kit and set up but good quality imo, apart from the hi hat!

Thanks for the tip on the cymbals guys, I get rhythm mag each month and admit that Im a bit of a name snob, and when I look through buying guide etc., went straight to good quality section, I think showing Zildjian £500+, my instructor said these the way to go also!

Now all I have to do is find a decent house!

User Info Menu

Aye Tubbs it pays to look around, read reviews etc. Then you get an idea of what is out there for you. You have done some of that so now comes down to the big decision which one is for you. Good luck.

User Info Menu

I have a set of Saturns. I think they are hard to beat for the money. They also have a unique sound due to the mix of walnut and maple. If you can swing the Saturns and a good set of cymbals you'd have an awesome kit.

My teacher, who is a pro drummer, plays a GMS kit. He absolutely raves about the way my toms sound. The walnut plies really do give it more punch.

User Info Menu

I have played a Pearl Vision (birch) and considering the heads were dented, over stretched, out of tune and they had different heads (remo on snare and floor tom, evans on the rack toms) it sounded decent. You could look into that. I actually don't know how much it costs, but I do know a five piece is more than one thousand CAD and less than 2000 CAD. As for cymbals, it depends. If you want a pro line crash, hit hat, and ride, I would say around $650 CAD (Sorry, I don't know what the rate for currency conversion is right now, but I would put that around 450 euro) An intermediate level cymbal pack would be around $350-$400.
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

User Info Menu

2000 quid puts you into a category of equipment that can be overwhelming. i think when i pull the trigger on a decent kit ill hit up this place called The Drum Pad in the Chicago suburbs. reason being they have a ton of kits set up in the showroom.
    if i walk in with the intention of buying that day, and they know it, i can test drive any kit i want. my local GC i have to show intent and have them do a setup at another time, they prefer in the morning on a weekday to do a roadtest, otherwise i get the choice of 2 kits which is all the room they have, the other dozen stacked about. some weeks its a Gretsch and a Pearl
    just a suggestion if you have a store like that within reach.
    for 2 grand ive got to play it first.

User Info Menu

Some great suggestions here. Although I am a Sabian fan just as a matter of personal taste, I'll bet you will be very happy with that A Custom pack. Also, if you keep an eye out on your local for sale ads or on the big auction site for good used Saturns, MCX's, Renowns, etc. Very likely you can find a set in near new condition for a much, much lower price than new. I often see wonderful deals on the U.K. auction site. Or if you prefer new, keep an eye out for last year's models. They are often to be had at deep discounts.
    You can always tell a drummer...but you can't tell 'em much.

Stuff:

1975 Rogers Londoner V in Spanish Gold
    Sonor Force 3000 in need of refinishing
    5" and 6.5" Rogers Dynasonic COB snares
    Sabian, Amedia and Istanbul Mehmet cymbals

User Info Menu

Had a quick look of fleabay to see if any good bargains to be had, i.e. 6months old/unwanted etc. but nothing!!

There are alot of budget kits showing or new kits (basically shops advertising on ebay).

I'll have to have a look in Newcastle UK, there are a few good shops there!

Can anyone tell me what the main differences in playing say a £50 kick pedal or £500?! Is it overall quality, smoothness etc.? This is one area ive not looked into, same for hi hat, typical me, just thought Mapex Falcon or Iron Cobra!

I wouldnt even know if needed chain/shaft etc. I dont even know double or single!!! I think double will definately be in there (im just single on my Roland Kit)
    Much still to think about!

User Info Menu

Tubbs,
    if you're in Europe buy Sonor 3007's and Meinel/European cymbals. Shouldn't the prices be better than on any imported kits?
    I'd stick to the middle-priced pedals and SP stands.
    Good luck!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kyle102565 View Post
    2000 quid puts you into a category of equipment that can be overwhelming. i think when i pull the trigger on a decent kit ill hit up this place called The Drum Pad in the Chicago suburbs. reason being they have a ton of kits set up in the showroom.
    if i walk in with the intention of buying that day, and they know it, i can test drive any kit i want. my local GC i have to show intent and have them do a setup at another time, they prefer in the morning on a weekday to do a roadtest, otherwise i get the choice of 2 kits which is all the room they have, the other dozen stacked about. some weeks its a Gretsch and a Pearl
    just a suggestion if you have a store like that within reach.
    for 2 grand ive got to play it first.
    For any money I need to try it first. Just saying Before I bought the 5B oak, nylon tipped sticks that I have now, I played them on a simple two piece setup (snare, bass, hi hat) for like half an hour to make sure I liked them. I think I'm going back to 5A's though, I'm joining junior band next week for school (also part of my cumulative performance task for music class) and I'm playing the snare, I just think 5A's have more versatility, so I can use them at school and at home.
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

User Info Menu

i have a pile of lousy sticks. if i knew then what i know now......... yada.. yada.. yada
    i cant believe i bought 757 Promarks! fit for a gorilla. in my humble opinion