Thread: might take a leap

User Info Menu

Default might take a leap

Well Ive been doing alot of research and I think Im going to try and build a drumset. I know its goinna take alot of work and a good amount of money, but it'll be worth it in the end. I found a couple sites that sell see through colored Acrylic tubing. Im thinking just a four piece and Im not going to build a snare because that seems way to difficult; so I have to build 3 drums, one at a time. I hope it works out because It would be cool for people to ask "What kind of drumset is that??," and I can say "I built it".
    If you have any advice or think that it can never work feel free to share cause Im still thinking about it.
    What do ya call a drummer whos girlfriend just broke up with him???

Homeless.

User Info Menu

If you can afford it then why not.....

There will be quite a bit of precision involved. I wanted to make my own guitar but with the precission and gear needed to do it. I just couldnt by the end.

Let me know how it works out because if it works. You would have sparked my interest :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

take a look at some of the drum builders forums. some of the best builders in the biz get on there.
    drumshed.org has a drum builders section
    mikedolbear.com
    ghostnote.net
    all good sources to learn anything about building a drum.

User Info Menu

IM goinna do it one drum at a time meaning: I buy the stuff needed for one drum, work on it for a couple weeks, see how it sounds and if it sounds good move to the next drum. but I'll look into those forums I never thought about that.

Homeless.

User Info Menu

I think you've thought it through well. One drum at a time, and as finances allow. It's obvious that you are in no hurry, and that speaks well for your chances of success! Good luck, PD!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

The bass drum is gonna sap ya dry :S... What sizes were you thinking off for the eventual kit?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Thanks Pastor Bob.
    Im thinking that Its goinna be a 22 X 20 bass drum. 12 X 8 tom, and a 15 X 14 floor tom.
    Im thinking transparent lime green, but with that color Im having trouble picking out the hardware. Any suggestions?

Homeless.

User Info Menu

black or shadow chrome. Being such a bright green it would help contrast it and define its edges.
    You should get your own little plate logo made as well.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

i agree....black chrome hardware and hoops with lime green acryllic.

User Info Menu

Cool might take a leap

Definitely the black hardware!

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck