Thread: Snare in the round

User Info Menu

Default Snare in the round

Hi everyone,

I bought a used PP Brass Patina 13x7 on-line. When I got it, it looked warped on the bottom. I was told to measure the drum diameter from each lug across to the other lug all the way around and see if it was round. I did the measurements and they were very consistent...when I measured the diameter between the lugs, one measurement was off 3/8 of an inch!!!....no wonder the bottom hoop was difficult to get off and back on. I returned the snare.

Got the replacement drum....am paranoid about it being round so did the diameter measurements....kept top & bottom hoops on. My measurements from lug to lug (from one lug across to the other lug) and between the lugs (across to the other side between the lugs) are pretty consistent....a few measurements did show about a 1/16 difference...one measurement would be 13" across, the next maybe 13 1/16th...etc.

1. Would that variance of 1/16th be ok and considered in the round?
    2. Should I remove the hoops and then measure? If so, should the measurements be very very consistent....less than 1/16th
    3. For a 13'' diameter drum....is the 13" inside or outside diameter?
    4. Does anyone else do this when buying a drum (new or used)?

My thinking is I want a perfectly round snare....I'm not measuring with scientific instruments just a measuring tape....and with that type drum (brass) is 1/16th of an inch "within tolerance" and would be considered "round".

Thank you so very much for any input.
    Last edited by M Squared; 11-02-2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: spelling and additional question added
    Tama Imperialstars with tama hardware
    Ludwig Acrolite snare
    Zildjian A Custom: 14" hats, 16" crash
    18" fast crash, 20" ride
    Evans heads on toms/snare
    LP Cowbell
    SP tractor seat throne

Michael M.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare in the round

Quote Originally Posted by M Squared View Post
    Hi everyone,

I bought a used PP Brass Patina 13x7 on-line. When I got it, it looked warped on the bottom. I was told to measure the drum diameter from each lug across to the other lug all the way around and see if it was round. I did the measurements and they were very consistent...when I measured the diameter between the lugs, one measurement was off 3/8 of an inch!!!....no wonder the bottom hoop was difficult to get off and back on. I returned the snare.

Got the replacement drum....am paranoid about it being round so did the diameter measurements....kept top & bottom hoops on. My measurements from lug to lug (from one lug across to the other lug) and between the lugs (across to the other side between the lugs) are pretty consistent....a few measurements did show about a 1/16 difference...one measurement would be 13" across, the next maybe 13 1/16th...etc.

2. Should I remove the hoops and then measure? If so, should the measurements be very very consistent....less than 1/16th

the 1/16 is not bad but the 3/8 is big
    if you can return it do it now

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

On this one I would email the manufacturer. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they consider a 1/16" variance to be within their specs.

Yes you should do your measurements with the heads and hoops removed. I would expect the measurements on a brass drum to be perfect or near perfect on an economy drum.

The measurement is for the outside of the shell. The exact measurement may be a tad off by design depending on how much space the manufacturer wants between the shell and the drum head collar.

Not so far. I have never had reason to believe one of my drums is out of round as they tune up well. If one is off at this point, I don't really want to know about it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M Squared View Post
    Hi everyone,

My thinking is I want a perfectly round snare....I'm not measuring with scientific instruments just a measuring tape....and with that type drum (brass) is 1/16th of an inch "within tolerance" and would be considered "round".

Personally I think you're being a little bit fussy.

I really can't see why a drum being very slightly off round would be a problem, as long as the heads tighten down ok and the tuning is stable.

I can't imagine someone will jump up out of the audience and say "Hey! your snare sounds out of round"

User Info Menu

I agree with youarefish on taking off the hoops and measuring the shell only. I have a snare that if I measure it with the hoops it is off because the bottom snare side hoop would not be even like the batter because the snare hoop is different shape and the tensions especially on single flang would look warped. I have a die cast on mine and it looks abit warped too but that is the way I tighten my tension. The two rods on each side of the snare wires are tighter and then the next 4 are little looser and the last two less. So by doing this my hoop will look warped. So check this out before you go asking for another snare. Just an observation you can take it or leave it is up to you.

User Info Menu

I have the uneven roundness on my 13" hoop, and it doesnt eff=ct the sound...

User Info Menu

My hats off to you for having the sense to measure the roundness - especially when buying a USED drum. Many people never even think of this if they are having problems with tuning or seating a drum head. And it's amazing how much abuse some people dish out on their drums!

1/16 is likely acceptable. 3/8 is likely not!

I think you are being picky if you want it "perfect", but it's not a bad thing to want your product in tolerance, again even when buying used. Another reason to take care of your gear!
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus