Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best jazz cymbals?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Best jazz cymbals?

I hit a few dozen cymbals today. I found one that I really liked. It was the Zildjian K Custom Dry. It is unlathed and super dry. I will try out the Crash of Doom because of your suggestion and because of the name.

I called my wife and told her "good news - cymbals are on sale. The one that I want is only $279". She told me that is amazing because the KitchenAid mixer that she wants is on sale for almost that same amount and they both make noise and bring joy those around them. So it looks like the cymbal is going to cost $560 and about 25 pounds around my middle.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dpok View Post
    I hit a few dozen cymbals today. I found one that I really liked. It was the Zildjian K Custom Dry. It is unlathed and super dry. I will try out the Crash of Doom because of your suggestion and because of the name.

I called my wife and told her "good news - cymbals are on sale. The one that I want is only $279". She told me that is amazing because the KitchenAid mixer that she wants is on sale for almost that same amount and they both make noise and bring joy those around them. So it looks like the cymbal is going to cost $560 and about 25 pounds around my middle.
    this is great news! baked goods and a cymbal that will cut through any music. you can't beat that!
    yeah man, that custom dry is a beast. its basically a drier version of the standard custom ride ( i have the custom 22"). they kill! personally, for smaller combo gigs, the custom dry is a little much and easily shouts above the band. you should never have a problem being heard there.
    and a mixer. the KA mixers are probably one of the best mixers an average consumer can get. my gf has one and it does all the heavy mixing of doughs and such.
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dpok View Post

Just get the mixer and make your own pies!
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deedubs! View Post
    Just get the mixer and make your own pies!
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

My 1980 Paiste 2002 22" ride sounds great for swing, but since I have downsized my jazz kit and have been playing my Jazz Catalina or mostly my Sonor Safari's every week at my jazz gig I have found a great cymbal combination that works for me. Picked up a 50's era 19" hand hammered Avedis Zildjian ride from CL that sounds excellent and has just the right amount of wash. I also use a 60's era 18" Avedis Zildjian sizzle cymbal, "6 rivets" that is great for that sizzle sustain on ballads and suttle accents along with a 60's era 16" Avedis Zildjian med crash and 14" Avedis Zildjian new beat high hats. Also that 19" Avedis Zildjian sweet ride with 2 rivets looks pretty nice. Haven't tried it yet. Tony Williams used to ride his sizzle cymbal on those fast swing tunes with Miles Davis, and Ringo had one too.
    Do any of you guys use a sizzle cymbal in your set up? I love mine.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VIbes View Post
    My 1980 Paiste 2002 22" ride sounds great for swing, but since I have downsized my jazz kit and have been playing my Jazz Catalina or mostly my Sonor Safari's every week at my jazz gig I have found a great cymbal combination that works for me. Picked up a 50's era 19" hand hammered Avedis Zildjian ride from CL that sounds excellent and has just the right amount of wash. I also use a 60's era 18" Avedis Zildjian sizzle cymbal, "6 rivets" that is great for that sizzle sustain on ballads and suttle accents along with a 60's era 16" Avedis Zildjian med crash and 14" Avedis Zildjian new beat high hats. Also that 19" Avedis Zildjian sweet ride with 2 rivets looks pretty nice. Haven't tried it yet. Tony Williams used to ride his sizzle cymbal on those fast swing tunes with Miles Davis, and Ringo had one too.
    Do any of you guys use a sizzle cymbal in your set up? I love mine.
    I have actually though about turning my 60's era 18" zildjian into a sizzle. And I also want to sizzle out my bottom hihat. I chicken out every time so far!
    1997 DW collectors kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

You can get those sizzle arms with 3 rivets in each arm that screw on your cymbal stand instead of a wing nut, or I actually used a metal beaded chain like for a light pull. Wraped it around the cymbal post above the cymbal bell until each end was almost hanging off the cymbal. Actually worked great.
    Love the rivets though spaced out evenly around the cymbal.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

I've done the beaded chain, and it's pretty cool!
    1997 DW collectors kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Have you checked out the Zildjian K Custom Dry Complex Ride? It's the dryest ride I've ever heard. But, as others have said, it's all about what sounds good to you. Myself, I like the darker sounding cymbals (even though I play rock). I've heard there are no rules regarding cymbal selection for the kind of music you play. (Case in point: I heard that Ringo Starr has a Zildjian K Dark Crash, and he's a rock musician.)

User Info Menu

I'm getting some nice sounds from my Paiste 18" Rude Crash/Ride and I also throw a ball chain for a sizzle on my Rude 18" China.
    Current Set-Up - Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz, Paiste Signature

Damaru - The drum of Shiva.

Hows my drumming? http://soundcloud.com/bilton-grange

Say Hi - http://www.facebook.com/biltongrangemusic

User Info Menu

Drill, 1/4 drill bit and some rivets.

Official cowbell hater.