Thread: Drum recording

User Info Menu

Default Drum recording

I am thinking of getting a Behringer X1222USB 16 Ch USB Mixer/Interface W/ FX or a Behringer X2222USB 22 CH Mixer/ Interface W/ FX.

What monitors etc will I need and can you recommend compatable ones please.

Thank you for your time.
    *TAMA-PEARL-REMO-EVANS-PAISTE- SABIAN-ZILDJIAN-VATER*

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperPbizzle?feature=mhw5

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum recording

bump

YouTube Channel:

User Info Menu

Not enough detail, I suspect, to get a coherent reply.
    Is this for home recording monitoring and mixing, or foldback for the drummer..? Powered monitors, or with independant amp..? Do you have a budget in mind..?
    We'll try to help out if you can give us a bit more to better guide you (otherwise it's just guessing,which won't get you far...)
    To be continued..?
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

This is for recording at home and as I have zero experience of this I would like to know what other equipment I need etc. I dont have a budget in mind as I have no idea what I need other than microphones, stands and xlr cables.

So basically what I need to know is what do I need to record my drums at home?

YouTube Channel:

User Info Menu

you will want separate tracks into your software , look into the presonus products.

unless I am mistaken the USB from the Behringer products will only give you 2 mono or 1 stereo into your computer

pick up a copy of "Modern Recording Techniques" it ill help a lot
    Last edited by rmandelbaum; 11-05-2011 at 09:58 AM.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Thank you for the advice rmandelbaum. Definately look into both of those.

I am under the impression that I will need monitors and more cables? what will I need?

YouTube Channel:

User Info Menu

Zoom H4 placed about 5ft in front of the kit. Press record.

User Info Menu

northern redneck: thanks for your comment but as the h4 is a portable digital recorder and is not related to a mixer. I will assume you have not read my messages and will disguard the comment.

YouTube Channel:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SuperPbizzle View Post
    This is for recording at home and as I have zero experience

So basically what I need to know is what do I need to record my drums at home?
    I read all of your posts. You dont need a 22 channel mixer and a 16 channel intetface to do quality recordings of your kit at home. For an inexperienced person the less the better.

User Info Menu

Actually, there are a lot of threads like these. Including one that I asked when I was first getting into recording similar to your post.

So I'll start by giving you a list of what you'll need. It would help TONS if I knew your budget though.

Now there is digital recording and analog, I'll get into that in a bit.
    1. Mixer/Interface/Soundcard (with XLR inputs. For each mic you will need an XLR input.) OR FireWire (very useful, allows you to tweak what each microphone picks up)
    And remember, for every mic that you need an XLR input for the price will go up on the mixer. And condenser mic's need phantom power (gives it some special power to work), so never plug a condenser mic into a non-phantom powered XLR in.
    2. Mics (At least one for the snare, one for the kick, and two condenser overheads, and if you have the budget for it, get some for the toms and maybe the hi hat.) Preferably a Shure SM57 on the snare, an Audix D6, Shure Beta 52, (or something like that) for the kick. And for the overhead a pair of MXL 900's or something will get the job done.

3. Mic stands. Nuff said. (Larrysperf's signature phrase)

4. Mic clips (important, otherwise there is no way to get the mic on the stand except y the duct tape method lol)

5. XLR cables. Get them long enough and not too cheap.

6. A computer with a software like Garageband or something. (Mac's are made for this kind of stuff, but don't fret if you don't have one, there's software like Acid and stuff)

7. I think it's all pretty much covered. Or you could go through the route of getting a Zoom Q4 or whatever it's called. I've heard some pro's use it, and it sounds great! I was amazed at the sound quality the got from it.

Other than that, all that gear can range anywhere from $300-800. I'm a bargain hunter, and it's extremely hard to find great deals on recording equipment below $200, but I'm sort of managing..

Good luck man, and have fun recording! :P

Last edited by DrumRookie; 11-05-2011 at 10:04 PM.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply Drumrookie. Thats what I needed to know. I was unsure if I ll need monitors too but I can figure that out when I get there. The reason why I asked about the mixers is that I want to be able to record indidivual things ie kick, snare etc then bring it all together on my daw. I am not sure about digital recorders but I have heard of them but having asked several people I know they said it is best to get a mixer so thats why I wanted to know about the mixer rather than the recorder.

YouTube Channel:

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Drum recording

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    ...pick up a copy of "Modern Recording Techniques" it ill help a lot
    +1; excellent investment. Read it before going any further with your project, it'll save your many times its' price, and you'll get a better result much, much faster. You don't need to read it all in great detail, but the answers to your present and future questions are there.
    Hope this helps...
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

Shall definately have a look into the book then

YouTube Channel: