Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What heads do you play?

User Info Menu

Default What heads do you play?

I'm curious, what kind of heads (batters over reso's, for each drum, if you can) does the community of DC play?

Also, another question: I want heads that give a sort of "fat" sound, but not as muffled or fat as what my bass drum would sound like. I'd like my toms to have controlled overtones, and sort of "shallow" and not as deep as a lot of rock drummers seem to prefer. I was thinking of going with clear pinstripes or emperors over clear ambassadors.

Also, as a side thing, generally how does the coating on a reso head affect the sound? Is there even a point to it? And what kind of sound could I expect to get if I played emperors over emperors? (both two ply heads)

Thanks for your input everyone!
    Last edited by Fifty; 11-04-2011 at 10:55 PM.
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

dave0549jv Guest

Default Re: What heads do you play?

At the moment I'm using coated emperors over clear ambassadors on my toms and snare. I've still got the stock DW heads on my kick, but I've got an emad batter and eq3 reso on standby.

I like the controlled sound you get from 2 ply over 1, and 2 ply heads tend to be a tad easier to tune. I think 2 ply over 2 ply might be a little too dead sounding for my taste. As far as coating, the texture helps if you plan on playing with brushes, otherwise it just adds a little bit of weight to the top ply. That tends to muffle slightly, and add a bit of warmth.

Plus I like the look of coated heads better.
    Last edited by dave0549jv; 11-04-2011 at 11:10 PM.

ThePloughman Guest

Coated ambos top, clears on bottom about 75 on the dial
    Coated over Coated, about 80 on the dial.

Play them in for about five hours before you change your mind.

User Info Menu

Just put clear Emperors on for the batter and still using Evans EC for reso on my toms. Seriously thinking about putting clear Ambo's back on for reso. Coated Ambo batter w/Remo Ambo 10 mil reso for snare. Evans EMAD batter and reso for kick. But, I'd like to put a Remo Powerstroke back on for the batter. I really liked the punch that it had compared with the EMAD.
    Last edited by DrummerD; 11-04-2011 at 11:56 PM.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

For my toms, I use two year old Remo Encores (essentially a poor man's pinstripe) for the batter, no reso heads. On my snare I use an Evans PCRD over a spare Evans EC2 reso I happened to have. For my kick drum, I use a Remo PS3 for the batter, Evans EMAD Resonant for the reso (no muffling ring). I also put a pillow in the kick drum
    Last edited by xweasel; 11-05-2011 at 01:18 AM.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Recent Aquarian Super 2 Convert on all toms with Classic Clears on the Reso. Super Kick II on the Kick with Regulator reso. I'm thinking of trying the Force 1 or Super Kick 1 to get a tad more low end to the kick. I love these heads and I think they would fit to what you described.

I've tried the emperor over ambassador combo as well and liked those heads too, more of a classic sound where as the Aquarians sound similar but slightly more modern...not really sure how to explain it.

On the evans side I really liked Evans EC2 SST coated over EC reso
    Mapex Saturn Red Sparkle 10, 12, 14, 22
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Snare 14 x 6,

Mapex Armory Photon Blue 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    Tomahawk 14x5.5 Snare

Meinl 20" Dark Raw Bell Ride, 20" Traditional Extra Thin Hand Hammered Crash, 18" Sand Thin Crash, 14" Byzance Dark Hats

Samsun 22" Design series Ride, 13" Design Series Hats, 16" FX Loop Effects Crash + 12" Raw Earth Splash (stacker)

Tama Speed Cobra (single pedal), Tama Iron Cobra (double pedal)

User Info Menu

Although I've been mostly Remo all my life (not sure why...general availibility I guess), I am not afraid to experiment. Most of my drums have combinations of different brand heads. Recently I put an Aquarian batter on my 18 kick which incidently has an Evans "Uno" reso. Remo coated ambassador on snare always! Just has the right sound with brushes sticks and mallets, and never fails. My toms are flip flop between Ambassador, Emporer, and Fiber-Skyn over Remo or Evans clear resos.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Always single ply coated on toms and snare. Sometimes 2-ply on bass. It's always been my experience that pinstripes, etc. remove a little resonance from the instrument.

User Info Menu

Toms: coated Evans G2 over clear G1
    Snare: coated Power Center Reverse Dot over Hazy 300 on my 13x7 maple and a ST Dry over Hazy 300 on my 14x5.5 steel and coated G Plus over Hazy 300 on my 14x5.5 birch
    Kick: clear GMAD over black EQ3

User Info Menu

14"x5" Snare: remo coated cs (batter) / Evans hazy 300 (snare side)
    12"x9" Tom: remo coated emperor (batter) / Evans ec (reso)
    16"x14" floor Tom: remo coated pinstripe (batter) / remo coated ambassador (reso)
    22"x18" kick: Aquarian super kick 1 (batter) / remo dw (reso)
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Bass: aquarian SKII w/reso set
    Toms: Aquarian Response 2's Batter
    Classic clears reso's
    Snare: remo coated power stroke 3 w/ ambassdor snare side

I like the evans HD dry snare batter head but they where out of stock when I bought new heads. THis will do till its used.

Very pleased with the response 2's after a week of tuning and break in. It was also my first set of coated heads

User Info Menu

Hmm, I think I am going to go with some kind of batter with a dot. I looked at some videos of them on youtube, and a drummer (troy wright) uses (I think) remo power center w/clear dot. Those seem appealing. But then again, coated heads seem to be the more popular option for snare batters.... as for reso's I think I'll go clear ambassadors on toms and snare.

Man there is so many options and possible combinations. I haven't even begun to look into black heads. And I haven't really explored the differences between coated and clear heads, for resonant sides that is. Can anyone offer some input, with regards to coated resonant heads?

I'll guess I'll have to make my decision in the shop, and hear them all. But I would really hate to ask the guys that work there to fix me up with several combinations of heads :P Maybe I'll pay them a bit more :(
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

User Info Menu

Main Rogers/Ludwig hybrid kit: Remo Clear Ambassadors on top and bottom of toms. Bass drum with Evans Clear EQ1 batter head, Remo Ebony Ambassador Resonant head or White Fiberskyn Resonant with sound hole.

2nd Rogers kit (12" tom, 16" floor tom, 20" bass drum): Remo Clear Pinstripe batter heads and Clear Ambassador Resonant bottoms of toms, Remo Ebony Ambassador Resonant with sound hole on bass drum.

Rogers 12" tom & 16" floor tom (as add ons for the main set): Remo Clear Ambassadors on top and bottom.

Secondary 18" Maxwin/Pearl bass drum (sometimes as a substitute for the bass drum for the main set when recording): Evans Clear EQ1 batter head, Remo Ebony Ambassador Resonant with sound hole.

16x15" Maxwin floor tom: Remo Clear Pinstripe batter, Remo Clear Ambassador resonant.

14" 'timbale' (converted from a no name snare): Remo Coated Ambassador.

Ludwig Epic kit: Coated Ambassadors batter heads on toms, snare and bass drum. Clear Ludwig Resonants on toms and snare (made by Remo). Remo Fiberskyn Resonant on Bass drum (no muffling, no soundhole)

With all snares I have in my collection I usually have Remo Clear Ambassador snare heads on the bottom. But the batter heads vary between Remo Coated Ambassadors, Coated Powerstroke 3, or Evans G2 Coated or Coated Power Center Reverse Dot.

Rototoms: Remo Coated Ambassadors on 8", 10" & 12". Remo Clear 'Tympany' heads on 14", 16" & 18".

Octobans (with indicated depths): (all 6" Remo heads) Clear C.S. Power Dot on the 8" & 10" deep ones, Clear Ambassadors on the 12" & 14", Clear Emperors on the 16" and 18", Clear Pinstripes on the 20" & 22".

The Dixon 8" & 10" Mini Timbales and Mano Percussion 13" & 14" Brass Timbales still have their own thin stock heads.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Aww maxwin by pearl. My brother used to have one of those kits! You don't really hear about them.
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

I have the Ebony Suede (I think that's what they call them) over Response 2's.

The odd thing (and I think I said this before) is that when I'm playing them, I'm not all that happy with the sound, but, when I listen to them on video, I like it.

Also, have a Jack DeJohnette on the Acrolite, and going back to a Diplomat on my Black Beauty.

I've spent about $700 on heads in the last 6 months, looking for a certain sound. Haven't found it yet because I'm not sure what it is, but, I'll know it when I find it.

User Info Menu

I have all Aquarian batters and stock resos at the moment. I might need to try another batter head for my snare though. Took it to my youth group on friday night and it sounded really loose. Kinda annoying, cos it sounded half decent at home. The lounge room has real dodgy acoustics but..
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

I am in between the Clear G2's/G1's and the EC2's/EC resos. Depending on what sound I want. I found the G2 combination is more open and loud compared to the EC2 combination which much warmer and deep wih less resonance if you can understand this theory. The sound is the difference.

User Info Menu

I started with Coated Ambassadors on top with the DW stock heads on bottom, switched to Evans clear G1's on top with same on bottom, and now I'm back to the coated ambassadors. I liked how the G1's sounded, but I broke one of them haha... Now that I have a 12" and 14" G1 laying around I'm considering putting them on the reso side on my toms and just buying another 10" G1.

Before winter break when we're recording a CD for a band I play for, I plan to buy Evans EC2's. I've been between them and Pinstripes for a long time and I finally decided on the EC2's after hearing a band use them the other day and fell in love with them.
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

On the premiers i have coated g2's over coated g1's, and an EMAD on the kick. It sounds like this [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGz05a24BR8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGz05a24BR8[/ame]
    And on the dw's its coated ambo's over clear ambos. Superkick II on the base with a Coated Ambassador on the front. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuPC_7OdmHo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuPC_7OdmHo[/ame]
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Batters are currently Vintage Emperors and clear Emperors for the reso's. I also like the Pins over the same resos. The bass is a Powerstroke3 batter and an Ebony Ambassador reso.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Currently Evans Onyx over ECresos. I dont like Onyx. Too dark. Gunna replace with Pinstripes on my next set that im getting soon. Probably Pins over EcResos. Maybe. Idk yet :o
    Specs

Drums: Gretsch Catalina Maple (Dark Cherry Burst) 8,10,12,14,16 toms 14 snare 22 bass
    Heads: Remo Pinstripes over Ambassadors on toms
    Bass: Stock Grestch stock reso and Evans EC2 batter
    Snare: Ambassador over Ambassador reso, PureSound Snares
    Cymbals: Zildjian A MasterSound HiHats 14"
    Sabian Xs20 Crashes 16"/18"
    Zildjian 20th Anniversary A Custom ride 21"
    Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

http://www.facebook.com/AWorkInProgressBand

^^^Like my band!!^^^

User Info Menu

Wow! Thanks everyone, your answers all really helped me. Two ply resonants sound like a bad idea, that's for sure. And thanks to several helpful videos, I conclude I don't like black coated heads (onyx/ebony) I am still not sure what to use for batters, but I think I'll go with clear ambassadors for tom resonants, not sure about snare or kick yet. Again thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fifty View Post
    Wow! Thanks everyone, your answers all really helped me. Two ply resonants sound like a bad idea, that's for sure. And thanks to several helpful videos, I conclude I don't like black coated heads (onyx/ebony) I am still not sure what to use for batters, but I think I'll go with clear ambassadors for tom resonants, not sure about snare or kick yet. Again thanks
    Imo, i would try Pinstripes, i tried on a kit at my friends house, was pretty nice with some moongel. and for bass.. i LOVEEEEE Evans Emad. gives the punch i want :D
    -Fraz
    Specs

Drums: Gretsch Catalina Maple (Dark Cherry Burst) 8,10,12,14,16 toms 14 snare 22 bass
    Heads: Remo Pinstripes over Ambassadors on toms
    Bass: Stock Grestch stock reso and Evans EC2 batter
    Snare: Ambassador over Ambassador reso, PureSound Snares
    Cymbals: Zildjian A MasterSound HiHats 14"
    Sabian Xs20 Crashes 16"/18"
    Zildjian 20th Anniversary A Custom ride 21"
    Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

http://www.facebook.com/AWorkInProgressBand

^^^Like my band!!^^^

User Info Menu

I have ebony ambasadors on all my Ludwig and ddrums with single ply clear reso's. Coated Ambasadors on my Premiers, top and bottom.
    Evans G2 on my Jazz Catalinas with single ply clear reso.
    I have been playing my Sonor Safari's more than anything lately with the stock heads. Chinese Remo's. people immeditely change out those heads but mine sound great. Tuneing my friends!!
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Frazzetto View Post
    Imo, i would try Pinstripes, i tried on a kit at my friends house, was pretty nice with some moongel. and for bass.. i LOVEEEEE Evans Emad. gives the punch i want :D
    -Fraz
    thanks for the input. I personally like a good amount of resonance, I have been playing for almost four years, and I've developed a love for it. Based on what others have said around the forums, I think pinstripes already dampen the resonance too much, I can't imagine how dead it would sound with moongel on them. No offense to your tastes of course, I just associate words like dead and fat with drums with very little resonance, and open and ringy with drums with a lot of resonance.