Thread: imagine my disapointment...

User Info Menu

Default imagine my disapointment...

yesturday i saw an article that a hacker group was going to shut down facebook..

not that i support hackers or anything, i just wished they had done it, i have a lot of freinds who pratically spend all the time they have on facebook, and it would be so cool to see how they would be able to start the day when they could'nt write "goodmorning denmark" or something about just been in the bathroom...

but then when i logged on today (to see if it worked) and one of the first things that popped in to my head was one of those "goodmorning" messages....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results - Albert Einstein
    Does this mean that drummers are insane ?

User Info Menu

Default Re: imagine my disapointment...

Someone put me on facebook a while back. Couldn't get off that idiotic thing fast enough.

Now I get stuff from something called linkedin, or something like that. Stupid waste of time.

Tossed my cell phone a few years ago, right after I completely retired, got tired of phone calls no matter what I was doing.

My home phone number was never common knowledge, so I have peace and quiet.

User Info Menu

i got on facebook to stay in touch with a sister, others latched on. id read pointless drivel such as "hard day at work, goin to bed" or "hate my boss" or my niece posting a pic of her broken toe. havent been back there in months.

User Info Menu

I personally love Facebook. Between having kids, a job, and a home to take care of, I don't get to socialize as much as I would like. Facebook allows me to keep up with those that I want to keep up with, including relatives that are 1000's of miles away. I guess it is about how you choose to use it.

I created an ice hockey group, that allows me to post hockey related topics to those that play the sport only. It is the easiest way for all of us to stay in contact, post pictures, events, or news.

Yes, there are those that post random nonsense, but the pros for me, far outweigh the cons. Heck, we even get people that post random things on this very board, and do it quite a bit. It is just something you have to deal with when everyone in the world is "connected".
    Last edited by Bonebreak; 11-05-2011 at 10:54 AM.
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

User Info Menu

I like Facebook. It's a great networking tool that keeps you in touch with everyone. You can get addicted to anything... food, exercise, your partner, your hobby, etc. It doesn't make sense to stop using something just because it can harm you. That's like stopping using knives because they might cut you or fire because it might burn you. A little self-control is all that's needed.

User Info Menu

why would you want to get rid of something that your friends enjoy so much ? if you dont like it why dont you just not go on to the site ? face book is a very handy tool that lets people stay in touch with friends . i think its a very good site . just dont click on it and it wont bother you . pretty simple.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

I like it. Although some of my friends do post those stupid redundant statuses. Most of my news feed consists of bands though lol.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

I just hide the people that tend to post random nonsense. If it weren't for facebook, I wouldn't be able to keep in touch with my sisters so easily.
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Good. Maybe it will force people to commicate like human beings in the old days of writing letters and personal phone calls, from people you actually know. Still, terrorism is terrorism we must fight it wherever it shows it's ugly head. A larger part of me thinks it's wrong to protest unpeacefully to express one's point of view. There's a respectful law abiding way to do things, and I think they are out of line for taking it to this level. It sets a bad example for the coming generations to see cyberattacks become such a commonplace event.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Good. Maybe it will force people to commicate like human beings in the old days of writing letters and personal phone calls, from people you actually know.
    Problem is, this isn't the "old days". This is how human beings communicate these days. I keep in contact with people I know now more than ever before, mostly because it is so easy. I can take 30 seconds to drop someone a text, and say everything I need to without the 30 minute phone call.
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

User Info Menu

Facebook is an amazing tool. It's innovative, and an extremely useful tool. The problem isn't facebook, its the people who use it, or rather -misuse and abuse it.

I go on facebook to keep in touch with friends that I would otherwise not see for months. I hate when I go on and see people posting (true story by the way), and understand this kid is 13 years old: yo, got in trouble wit da cops today, dey lemme of wita warning

then there was people writing "dude sick, what did you do?" I, being older more mature, and generally much more intelligent, told him it wasn't a good thing. But I didn't do it in a rational way, I unleashed on him.

Anyway the point is, facebook can be a great, useful tool, to keep intouch with friends/ There isn't anything wrong with updating your status to be "I'm hanging out with my best friend!" (although pointless, in my opinion)

It's when people abuse and misuse facebook in stupid avoidable ways that really gets me mad.
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

User Info Menu

I cant argue with all the annoying things FB has but it is all block able and ignorable. I like FB for the fact of all my family and friends spread abroad that would never write or call. It's just like everything on the web you can use it or abuse it. all the best.

User Info Menu

I just wonder how we survived the 50's, 60's, 70's and on into the 80's and 90's without all the toys.

I'll concede that the computer is a great thing. You can find almost anything that you want to know about on it.

Just seems to me that you can stay in touch with who you want by phone or e-mail.

User Info Menu

I joined Facebook only to un-join (although it said, you never really un-join) after about a half hours of messing with it. I just didn't want to start yet another thing I would have to stay on top of.

I have been on Twitter for some time now. I don't tweet anymore, I just use it to stay on top of breaking news and follow some drum and cymbal manufacturers and retailers.

User Info Menu

i never said i hate facebook, i use it to communicate with people in my family far away from me...

i just said i hate the stupid updates...

and this was never ment to be a pros and cons about facebook, i just would have really loved to see peoples reaction to trying to get to facebook without luck...

but since it got to be a pros and cons...

another thing i do hate about facebook is the fact that some people think that the more friends you have the better the person you are... i sometimes get friend requests from somebody how have seen me when i have been on the radio, and that is a person i dont know.. and have no intention of knowing... every last one on my facebook is a person i know and have at some point been social with in the real world... but mostly its family, friends, and old school buddies
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results - Albert Einstein
    Does this mean that drummers are insane ?