Thread: What Cymbals Should I Buy?

User Info Menu

Default What Cymbals Should I Buy?

Right now I have the Planet-Z Cymbal Pack which is 14" hi-hats, 16" Crash, 18" Crash Ride, 20" Ride. These cymbals are very cheap and crack after a few months. What cymbals would you recommend for me when these ones die? I'm not really restricted in price but I would like it to be fairly cheap., but I am willing to go as high as $Aus 300 for a cymbal. I'm looking for cymbals that will last a lot longer than the current ones. I don't care about the size, as long as the hi-hats are 14" and the other cymbals are no smaller than 16".

Thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

how much is that in canadian dollars? id u know id give you some advice.

User Info Menu

we can all make recomendations, but picking the right set of cymbals is or should be a very personal decision. for zil....avedis, z custom, a custom and k custom are good. sabian....aa, aax, hh, hhx, and all the signature lines such as evolution and paragon.
    paiste....signature, 2002, and rude.

all of those are high end pro cymbals. i highly recomend staying away from things like zildjian zbt, zht, and zxt aswell as sabian xs20, b8 and b8 pro and paiste pst series.... if you can help it.

User Info Menu

confirmed!

User Info Menu

Hey, the ZHT's arnt bad little cymbals, not the best, but im impressed by them

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ch33zz View Post
    Hey, the ZHT's arnt bad little cymbals, not the best, but im impressed by them
    they ARE good for the price, and in that market. there are a few gems in the line too. the flat ride is pretty cool. the great thing about the zht is the range of models available. none are great, but they do offer alot of different sounds.
    i do nag on about cheep cymbals alot, but i also have to think back to when i was 14 and playing on zildjian scimitars. now those were terrible. kids on a budget have it alot better now.

User Info Menu

Yea, the ZHT's dont seem like a bad line for me to pick up, instead of aiming high for those AA's or such

User Info Menu

i would still aim higher.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    i do nag on about cheep cymbals alot, but i also have to think back to when i was 14 and playing on zildjian scimitars. now those were terrible. kids on a budget have it alot better now.
    I have scimitars...and they really are terrible...I can't wait until I replace them...
    The egg approves!

User Info Menu

I will always maintain that you should not be breaking or cracking cymbals when playing with any kind of technique. I realize that not everyone has the same style of technique or music but even with hard playing you shouldn'tbe breaking cymbals. Ive NEVER broken one in 15 years of playing. I have seen them get old and worn out but never cracking.

There are only certain cymbals I would buy from the ZXT or ZBT models. Both sets of hats are very decent for the price in 14" and have that crisp sound that cuts through the music. But both sets of crashes are lower quality for sound. Some ppl dont like a mixed bag of cymbal hardware but I think sabian has better pricing and options for crashes but I prefer zildjian rides and hihats for the most part. Dont be affriad to use ebay to save some cash. Music stores around me are a rip off for cymbals so I refuse to go that route.

User Info Menu

Default Re: What Cymbals Should I Buy?

You should give some thought to DREAM cymbals.

User Info Menu

Go to a music store and try out all the cymbals in your budget and see which ones you like. Also go to Sabian, Zildjian, and Paiste's websites and check out the sound samples which can give you a GENERAL idea of what that cymbal sounds like. I say general because every cymbal will sound a little different than others of the same model.
    Matt

User Info Menu

For a real versatile setup i would get Zildjian A medium thin for crashes, A ping ride, and A new beat hats. You would be quite happy as I am with them, i just love playing them more and more everyday it seems. I said-a-boom-bang-blick, and that's all she wrote.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    For a real versatile setup i would get Zildjian A medium thin for crashes, A ping ride, and A new beat hats. You would be quite happy as I am with them, i just love playing them more and more everyday it seems. I said-a-boom-bang-blick, and that's all she wrote.
    Well, I agree for versatility except with the ride. Go with the Zildjian A Medium Ride for a versatile ride. A lot of people (like myself) don't like the ping ride.
    Tama Starclassic Birch in Emerald Sea Fade 24x18, 13x10, 18x16
    Mapex Black Panther Phosphor Bronze 5.5x14
    Remo Coated Emperors (or Evans Clear EC2s) over Remo Coated Ambassadors
    Remo Coated Ambassador Over Hazy Diplomat Snare Side
    Dream Contact 14" Hi-Hats, Zildjian Avedis 21" Sweet Ride, Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection Crash, Wuhan 18" China
    Vic Firth 5As and 5Bs/Sound Percussion 5Bs and 2Bs

"Da head of the drum doesn't matter, it's da head of da drummer that matters most..." -Phrogge

User Info Menu

okay man i was once in your place. i was playoing on zbts. i wa tempted to buy pst5s or zhts. but i didnt i waited. i watched craigslist. i found daddys music and jammin jersey, used instrument sites. and i saved my money. eventuall i got all of this for 250

14 inch aax xpcelerator highats
    14 inch HHX x-plosion crash
    16 inch aax studio crash
    17 inch zcustom medium crash
    18 inch zildjian oriental china
    21 inch AA rock ride
    10 inch agrazian splash (actually a nice little splash)

man, because i was patient and viglilant, i got all my cymbals for less than the price of my ride . and they are all (cept the agrazian) pro. and in good condition. just lookup daddys and jammin jersey. and youur local craigslist. and i had money left over to buy new heads. just be patient man. pm if u want some links.
    "it aint got no thing if it aint got that swing"

Yamaha Stage Custom Noveau
    10,12,14,20,14 (standard 2 up 1 down)
    Evans EC2 over Remo Ambassador Resos
    Evans Genera Dry over ambassador resos
    DW 5002 double bass pedal
    Sabian 14 inch AAX Xcelerator hats
    Sabian 14 inch HHX X-plosion crash
    Sabian 16 inch AAX studio crash
    Zildjian 17 inch Z custom crash
    Sabian 21 inch AA rock ride
    Zildjian 18 inch oriental china trash