Thread: Playing in a Band

User Info Menu

Default Playing in a Band

I have been drumming for a little over a year now, and recently a friend of mine who is also a drummer introduced me to a guitarist/vocalist who wants to start jamming and he knows a bassist who also wants to jam, so we basically have our band.
    I've never played with other musicians in bands so this will be my first experience. Is there any words of advice and tips anyone can give me?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Playing in a Band

Terrific opportunity! Just settle/agree on the rhythm for each song or FIND the rhythm, it may be up to you, then maintain the beat, listening to the bass for any fun changes! It should be fun for all!

User Info Menu

Only thing that makes me nervous is the guitarist and bassist are both experienced musicians and jammers, and they know im not so i hope they keep that in mind

User Info Menu

Be open, listen to your bandmates. Like Slingerland says, maintain the beat. If you're not doing lessons, hopefully with the guidance of a good drum teacher (and someone who can show you how to effectively play with others, not just how to endlessly solo or play just the tricky stuff, although that is fun to learn, too), then take lessons so that you can keep your drumming sharp. Try to listen out for familiar guitar riffs or bass ideas, because the way your new band mates play will somehow shape how you play, but don't forget, how you play will also influence how they play their rhythm.

And if you haven't learned to do already, or if no one has already pointed it out to you....count when you play. You'd be surprised who or who doesn't do this in most band situations.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Be open, listen to your bandmates. Like Slingerland says, maintain the beat. If you're not doing lessons, hopefully with the guidance of a good drum teacher (and someone who can show you how to effectively play with others, not just how to endlessly solo or play just the tricky stuff, although that is fun to learn, too), then take lessons so that you can keep your drumming sharp. Try to listen out for familiar guitar riffs or bass ideas, because the way your new band mates play will somehow shape how you play, but don't forget, how you play will also influence how they play their rhythm.

And if you haven't learned to do already, or if no one has already pointed it out to you....count when you play. You'd be surprised who or who doesn't do this in most band situations.
    +1, but the counting part is very unnatural for me. I find that the less I think and the more I just relax and feel, the better I do. That's just me though.
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Brandon, just remember these guys put their pants on one leg on a time like, you..they are experienced and thats good for you..you need to jell with them in desire to play and when you do not know a song..you say..Don't worry I will learn the song by next rehersal and won't dissapoint, as we can grow together.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deedubs! View Post
    +1, but the counting part is very unnatural for me. I find that the less I think and the more I just relax and feel, the better I do. That's just me though.

I don't count. Never have. Probably never will. All feel.

Be open minded. And HAVE FUN!!!

User Info Menu

just play and keep it simple. work with the bassist, you are the rythym section. the guitarist has his own job to do

User Info Menu

Most bands probably break up because of personality conflicts, not inability to play the stuff. Be very patient, listen a lot, guard your words, don't create 'factions' with one side of the band or the other. Forgive a lot.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Keep in mind also that you are not only the beat and the drive for the group, you have the dynamics. Just as your speed affects how the song sounds, where you place crashes and fills (or don't) also determines the quality of the song.

BTW, I never count when I play. If I'm counting I'm not paying enough attention to everyone else.
    Drumming since 1965 and still going!
    Max Weinberg - "More than any other drummer, Ringo Starr changed my life.
    The impact and memory of that band on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964 will never leave me."

"Sometimes you'd come up against a brick wall... or sometimes you go into a fill and you'd know halfway through it was going to be disastrous."
    John Bonham

www.willieandtheblueshounds.com

User Info Menu

• Show up on time for practice
    • Don't over play
    • Keep your eyes open for visual cues
    • Listen

User Info Menu

use your ears;-)
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    • Show up on time for practice
    • Don't over play
    • Keep your eyes open for visual cues
    • Listen
    wont have to worry about overplaying lol i only been playing for a year so im worried about exactly the opposite

User Info Menu

+1 to everything said.

Best situation for you in terms of learning is to play with people better than you. They stretch what you can do. Just be patient and just keep it simple and the rest of the band will appreciate it.

Most importantly relax and have fun.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brandonv25 View Post
    wont have to worry about overplaying lol i only been playing for a year so im worried about exactly the opposite
    Best of luck to you. I've only been playing for about a year too, and from my experience, bands (I've already played/auditioned with 3) first want someone with a good sense of time and tempo. Fancy fills, long solos...no bueno para nada. As stated, keep it simple and straight forward. Watch and listen for cues to transition from verses to chorus and vice versa. Lock in with the bassist and you will do great.

Lastly, if you don't have fun...you are doing it wrong. Playing with a live band is nothing short of a major rush.

-Randy

User Info Menu

I would say the best word of advice is to come prepared. Band rehearsals are not supposed to be for individual members to learn their parts. That should be done on your own time. Rehearsals are for learning to play together and get tighter as a band. That being said you always have to remember that being in a band is like being married - only to 3 or 4 other people. You can't let personal differences get in the way of what should be the first priority; having fun and enjoying the music.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nubdrummer View Post
    I would say the best word of advice is to come prepared. Band rehearsals are not supposed to be for individual members to learn their parts. That should be done on your own time. Rehearsals are for learning to play together and get tighter as a band. That being said you always have to remember that being in a band is like being married - only to 3 or 4 other people. You can't let personal differences get in the way of what should be the first priority; having fun and enjoying the music.
    Great advice. I wish some of my bandmates would read this post. The only time our lead guitar player seems to pick up his guitar is at band practice. It's so obvious and frustrates me to no end.....

User Info Menu

Great advice. I wish some of my bandmates would read this post. The only time our lead guitar player seems to pick up his guitar is at band practice. It's so obvious and frustrates me to no end.....
    I know what you mean!
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

+1 Rhythm guitarist for me. Annoys the hell out of me and the bassist.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

My non musical advice? Be chill, and "humble." It's the guitarists job to be ****y :P If the guitarist wants to show off let him. In my last rehearsal (First rehearsal with these guys) the singer suggested everyone show their stuff. The lead played a short guitar, sweep picking, shredding kinda thing, the rhythm did the same, the bassist played this cool groovy, "driving" bass thing, it kind of reminds me of Seinfeld. Then I played the fastest song I knew how to play perfectly (Second Heartbeat- Avenged Sevenfold, Demo version)

You could suggest something like that, just to show what you're made of
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

User Info Menu

+1 here for the ex-guitarist bandmate.

I'm loving the positive feedback on this post - great advice, guys!
    Soul Wanderer
    Skald
    Vǫlva

User Info Menu

just enjoy, playing with better musicans will bring you on no end.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

And once you get better at your instrument, if there's an opportunity to do some sponatneous jamming with your bandmates of you get inviting to other band jams - do it! It will definitely do you a world of good. Part of networking for me has come from impromptu band jams
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8