Thread: attn: metal drummers what heads do you use for recording?

User Info Menu

Default attn: metal drummers what heads do you use for recording?

would like to know what you use or have used. Pros and cons of how it worked out ?. thanks
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Default Re: attn: metal drummers what heads do you use for recording?

Just recorded this week with coated G2 and G1 res. Sounded great.

User Info Menu

looks good marko lets see the video now! a couple questions did you use any kind of muffling mainly snare, no ring issues? what's on the kick and did you use a front head on the kick?

what were you recording btw?
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    looks good marko lets see the video now! a couple questions did you use any kind of muffling mainly snare, no ring issues? what's on the kick and did you use a front head on the kick?

what were you recording btw?
    No muffling on any of the drums...other than the built in ring on the Evans GMAD on the kick. EQ3 res on it. Power Center reverse dot and hazy 300 on the snare....tuned really tight. The snare and the kick sound incredible.

We were doing a 4 song EP.

Here's a quick preview I cut yesterday...you can hear some of the raw tracks in there. Should be mixed in the next week or two:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70gT72nN5iM"]Meet At Sundown - Day 2 Studio review - YouTube[/ame]

User Info Menu

hey marko nice! musta been fun. sounds cool too so let us know when you got it all finalized. We are shooting for recording in January! should be fun. Were going to visit a couple studios next weekend and hopefully make a good informed decision.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I don't record, but I love to play heavier stuff. I use coated emperors on top, ebony ambassadors on bottom, and a coated ambassador x? on my snare. I know I haven't recorded, and that's what you are asking for, but I love the sound of what I have. I always got compliments.

User Info Menu

I think anything you're using where you get a sound you enjoy will translate to a recording. Quality drum sounds are quality drum sounds.