Thread: Counting sextuplets

User Info Menu

Default Counting sextuplets

Basic question: I know when counting a triplet out loud, it's either ONE tri-plet TWO tri-plet . . .or ONE and a TWO and a. . . but how do you count sextuplets out loud?
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Default Re: Counting sextuplets

I never count sextuplets out loud. Rather, I focus on the rhythm of the right hand playing triplets.

Now, if I DID count it out loud, I would count it like: "ONE e and a and a TWO e and a and a......." and so on. I'm not sure if that's the most comment method, but it's easiest for me.
    Drums:
    Ludwig Classic Maple
    Tama Starclassic Performer

Cymbals:
    20" K ride
    20" K custom dry ride
    16" A custom crash
    14" New Beat hats
    14" K custom dark crash
    Ensembles
    Oregon Crusaders (DCI) 09 - bass 4
    OC Indoor (WGI) '10 - Snare 3rd place PIO
    OC Indoor (WGI) '11 - Snare PIW FINALIST!
    University of Oregon marching band '09 '10 '11 - Snare

User Info Menu

I count them

1-a-lee -AND-a-lee
    2-a-lee -AND-a-lee
    3-a-lee -AND-a-lee
    4-a-lee -AND-a-lee
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

It's weird. For me it's whatever feels right in different parts of the song. 123456 at times and 1 and a 2 and a etc at other times. Like I said it's weird lol. Sometimes I find myself not counting at all
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

I either count every other note as a triplet and line that up on my right hand and just let the left follow.

OR, I count as eighth notes and remember that every third note will line up.

The hard part is to not accent what you are counting and keep them even.

Tan

User Info Menu

I count 8th note triplets as "1-trip-let 2-trip-let..." .

I count 16th note triplets as "1-trip-let-and-trip-let 2-trip-let-and-trip-let..."

That makes it easy when they are broken such as an 8th note followed by 3 16th note triplets I'd just count it as "1 and-trip-let".

User Info Menu

1 and a 1 and a
    2 and a 2 and a
    3 and a 3 and a

or sing bu-gi-dah bu-gi-dah

after awhile you just feel it

you get the point
    Mapex Saturn Red Sparkle 10, 12, 14, 22
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Snare 14 x 6,

Mapex Armory Photon Blue 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    Tomahawk 14x5.5 Snare

Meinl 20" Dark Raw Bell Ride, 20" Traditional Extra Thin Hand Hammered Crash, 18" Sand Thin Crash, 14" Byzance Dark Hats

Samsun 22" Design series Ride, 13" Design Series Hats, 16" FX Loop Effects Crash + 12" Raw Earth Splash (stacker)

Tama Speed Cobra (single pedal), Tama Iron Cobra (double pedal)

User Info Menu

I'm a trumpet player so I think a triple tonguing pattern - ta ka ta - ta ka ta, etc
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

I just think triplets. In other words, I "convert" the beat into triplets, and accent every other "measure." Meaning, I only accent every other first beat.
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

User Info Menu

Two ways I got shown how to count it without getting too tongue tied.

1) Count the strokes with the right hand as though you're playing one handed triplets: R R R...R R R (1 + a...2+a), then 'feel' the left strokes as off-beats of these, RLRLRL...RLRLRL. This is useful for when you go from sextuplets into 1/8th note triplets. I'm sure it is an old exercise that you would find in "Stick Control".

2) When you play the first RLR, instead of counting 1+a, count it all as '1', then when you play the LRL part of the sextuplet, count that as '+'.

RLR LRL
    1....+

What you will find is that you'll feel an underlying straight eighth note pulse, which in turn will make mixing sextuplets and straight 1/16's (1e+a, 2e+a) a lot easier. So when you see RLRLRL, RLRLRL, RLRL, RLRL, all you have to do is count it as 1+ 2+ 3e+a 4e+a, bearing in mind that each 'half' of a straight 1/16th note group will feel 'a third of the speed' decelerated in comparison to each 'half' of the sextuplet. This by the way is what would also happen if you were playing 1/8th note triplets going into straight 1/8th's.
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 11-09-2011 at 01:11 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I always vocalize "dig-a-duh dig-a-duh" or "big-a-duh". That seems to work for drumline purposes, especially if it's fairly quick. If it's a tenor (quads) or bass drum part, I'll sing the drum pitches.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    I always vocalize "dig-a-duh dig-a-duh" or "big-a-duh". That seems to work for drumline purposes, especially if it's fairly quick. If it's a tenor (quads) or bass drum part, I'll sing the drum pitches.
    That's a variation of the tonguing pattern a trumpet player would use. "Ta-ka-ta ta-ka-ta" is essentially the same thing, except the syllables are a bit sharper.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

I count them like BAdabadabada BAdabadabada. lol
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I'm a fan of counting triplets with a "ta" sound, because it's easier to say quickly without losing your breath, so an eighth note triplet would be counted "One-ta-ta Two-ta-ta", etc. So, a sextuplet, aka a sixteenth note triplet, is a triplet that takes up one eighth note's space so I would count it "One-ta-ta And-ta-ta Two-ta-ta And-ta-ta", etc. That way I can keep my place in the bar.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove