Thread: Heres my latest recording...Did i do well?

User Info Menu

Default Heres my latest recording...Did i do well?

Hi guys,

Here is my latest recording with my 'band black tie white noise'

im inviting all comments on the recording on the drums good and bad. i need them all to learn... i already have an opinion on where i think i didn't do so well.

we recorded in my studio studio Cabin 5150 where i dont have a great selection of mics [yet] buut make do with them for the time being.

here are the mics i used

Audio technica kitpak mics - kick and floor tom
    SM58 - snare & rack tom
    AKG E600 - overheads

no mic on hihats.

the whole project was completed in 24hrs as a bit of a challenge we set ourselves. this includes writing, arranging, recording and mixdown... Not mastered yet... oh and lots of beer as you may be able to tell...

Thanks
    you push the envelope all day but it will always remain stationary.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Heres my latest recording...Did i do well?

Really good recording Rough. What AD/DA converter and preamps are you using. What type of compression are you using on your snare track? The drums site nicely in the arrangement and I like the hihat is not dominating the tracks.

User Info Menu

Great mix RoughTwist. I agree with nucjd. The hats are subtle but they reach out when they are played open. Digging the bass drum. Pillowed? Overall, my ears say you guys have a hit man!! Sounds like a winner!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    Really good recording Rough. What AD/DA converter and preamps are you using. What type of compression are you using on your snare track? The drums site nicely in the arrangement and I like the hihat is not dominating the tracks.
    Im using the pre's in a studiomaster mixdown 24 8 16 gold with an 002r as my interface. i have to say im not yet experienced enough with different pre's to comment on these particular ones but i cant grumble about these.

i'm mixing in the box at the moment so the compression is just the logic 8 compression tweaked by yours truly. still a lot to learn there.
    you push the envelope all day but it will always remain stationary.

User Info Menu

Good job Rough. FYI Black Lion audio can take your 002r and gut it and make it sound like a 20,000 rig. I did it with mine and I LOVE it.

User Info Menu

Dude, I like it a lot - recording sounds fine to me, but what I really like is that it captures the attitude and swagger of the song.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RoughTwist View Post
    Hi guys,

Here is my latest recording with my 'band black tie white noise'

im inviting all comments on the recording on the drums good and bad. i need them all to learn... i already have an opinion on where i think i didn't do so well.

we recorded in my studio studio Cabin 5150 where i dont have a great selection of mics [yet] buut make do with them for the time being.

here are the mics i used

Audio technica kitpak mics - kick and floor tom
    SM58 - snare & rack tom
    AKG E600 - overheads

no mic on hihats.

the whole project was completed in 24hrs as a bit of a challenge we set ourselves. this includes writing, arranging, recording and mixdown... Not mastered yet... oh and lots of beer as you may be able to tell...

Late Again.mov - YouTube

Thanks
    I love that song !

Great feel and groove, nice work. I cannot comment on the technical aspects of taking the track further other than maybe roll off a bit of the reverb tail to give it a little more perceived punch, a little more 'upfront' sound. I would probably dirty up the dums a little, maybe a tad less compression on snare, and a bit more room ( or o/heads ) also try inverting the polarity on the drum mics to see if you can minimise the slight phasing you have going on with the cymbals, unless that was an artistic choice, if so ignore my suggestion !

I have danced around my Kitchen a couple of times to the tune, I am not your youngest fan, but maybe the newest, looking forward to more tunes, pm me to keep in touch dude.

User Info Menu

Sounded awesome RoughTwist! Solid mix through and through, good simple beat is always a winner in my book. At first I thought you were playing Dani California by RHCP, had a similar guitar and drum part but I liked this song too!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

i love it
    i would love to hear more ride and hat
    great job by all the band
    singer have a nice voice too
    congrad

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

doctor dirt Guest

Anytime your gonna run a chord accent on top of the snare hit you can fatten' the drum up. It just has more pressence that way. The tune is good it has a popular groove thats easy to listen and is dance worth. Reminds me a little of Jermiquia (bad spelling) but you know who I mean. Bass could be fattened up also to add more volumn of sound. The guitar sounds good as is, I hate guitar thats over done and squashed to hell. When I hear that I'd like to tell the guitar to hit the floor switch that makes it sound like a GUITAR! Overall pretty dam good, I'm a fan of groove tunes not much for R&R and if its multi-scrambled and I can't hear everything distinctly I just turn it off. Congrates an excellant ruff draft that doesn't need a hell of alot! Doc

User Info Menu

Good stuff!

User Info Menu

Your playing is exemplary. Everything is blended sweet ( snare could be a tiny bit lower in tone and volume could come up just a tiny bit to fatten up the lead guitar) and Oh yeah...I wish I had written the tune. Seriously, thats a sweet tune and the arrangement is just over the top quality. Lots of guys can play "copy" music - - - the real players "Make Music" from within and make it come alive with their talent and skills. You guys did that very thing and I loved it. Hope you post more tunes...
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Very well done. I realize it's a rough mix but some minor tweaking here and there (maybe fatten up the guitar a bit and the snare) and it's a finished product in my opinion. I like the groove. Bravo.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Man, I don't know how I missed this thread before, but the video was awesome. The song was nice and tight, the drumming was excellent, and it made my toes tap. It may be a little late, but . . .
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

The more I listen to the tune...your snare blends on the high side and just does its job nicely...your kit is tuned well and you play dynamics that totally fit the tune...something I find refreshing from a young drummer. The other guys in the band play extremely well and you all work together smoothly...each one has added his own part to blend in with the others. If you guys continue down this road...you will find a recording contract...and in the interim, youre going to find some sweet gigs. You guys have all the marks of a Pro-Band. Please post more vids like this. Im gonna listen one more time...gets better each time.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!