Thread: Mapex Horizon 7-piece

User Info Menu

Default Mapex Horizon 7-piece

Could anyone give some input on this set? i was looking into making it my 2nd set. my more advanced once, since I am better now and im sick of my horrid sounding Ludwig Accent.

Any input would help. And if someone could post a picture too. idk how lol! thanks -fraz
    Specs

Drums: Gretsch Catalina Maple (Dark Cherry Burst) 8,10,12,14,16 toms 14 snare 22 bass
    Heads: Remo Pinstripes over Ambassadors on toms
    Bass: Stock Grestch stock reso and Evans EC2 batter
    Snare: Ambassador over Ambassador reso, PureSound Snares
    Cymbals: Zildjian A MasterSound HiHats 14"
    Sabian Xs20 Crashes 16"/18"
    Zildjian 20th Anniversary A Custom ride 21"
    Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

http://www.facebook.com/AWorkInProgressBand

^^^Like my band!!^^^

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mapex Horizon 7-piece

Quote Originally Posted by Frazzetto View Post
    Could anyone give some input on this set? i was looking into making it my 2nd set. my more advanced once, since I am better now and im sick of my horrid sounding Ludwig Accent.

Any input would help. And if someone could post a picture too. idk how lol! thanks -fraz
    Maybe you should save for a pro kit or some better cymbals, and for now replace the heads and tune your Ludwig. I have heard those kits sound really good with properly tuned heads. Not saying that you don't know how to tune.....just saying.
    Last edited by Deedubs!; 11-09-2011 at 01:13 PM.
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Also I just went to mapex website, and I don't think it's really a step up from what you have. Maybe a little, but if you were rely wanting a mapex I would wait till you could at least get a Saturn. That way you have a pro kit that you won't ever need to upgrade. Just my 2 cents. I looked at the pic on your profile, and if I were you I would upgrade the cymbals, and give you Ludwigs some new skins.
    1997 DW collectors kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Haven't you posted this same thread a few times now? Or am I imagining things?

User Info Menu

@Deedubs!, that picture is old :P I have new heads on both sides, and cymbals. The drums are just a little idk.. haha. my 13" has a bit of a jingle.. as if theres lose metal in the hoop or something.. idk haha. Plus, I want a bigger setup too. and arent saturns like 1300+? :o

@Marko, yes I have. But, i havent been getting that much input on it. so i try around i different parts of the forum (ie: Mapex drums, Drum reviews, Drummers Q&A, Etc.)
    Specs

Drums: Gretsch Catalina Maple (Dark Cherry Burst) 8,10,12,14,16 toms 14 snare 22 bass
    Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

^^^Like my band!!^^^

User Info Menu

Well have you tried craigslist? I get most of my stuff on there for pennies on the dollar.
    1997 DW collectors kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Frazzetto, what's your budget for a new kit? I tend to agree that the Horizon is not a big enough step up to put your money there. I would think your next kit should at least be a solid intermediate kit (Mapex Meridian, Gretsch Catalina, etc.). I also think the idea of picking up a good used kit is a solid idea. A new kit loses value the moment it leaves the store, but no so with a used kit. It takes time and effort to find the right used kit, but it might be worth it.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

Drum Bum: Gifts for Drummers

Cool Drummer T-shirts and Drum Accessories!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Frazzetto, what's your budget for a new kit? I tend to agree that the Horizon is not a big enough step up to put your money there. I would think your next kit should at least be a solid intermediate kit (Mapex Meridian, Gretsch Catalina, etc.). I also think the idea of picking up a good used kit is a solid idea. A new kit loses value the moment it leaves the store, but no so with a used kit. It takes time and effort to find the right used kit, but it might be worth it.
    Completely agree, PB.

User Info Menu

I would also focus on cymbals first. Cause whether or not you have a 1000 dollar craviatto solid snare, or the metal snare that came with your accent kit, you are still limited by a 15 dollar snare head. While zildjian a's and sabian aa's might seem expensive, when treated properly, it will last you for life.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

i heard a dude soundchecking a Ludwig Accent a few weeks ago and it sounded great. with a decent snare and proper tuning a cheap kit sounds like a pro kit. well, almost.
    i agree with the previous responses. go used.
    case in point, ive got my eye on a Catalina Maple Wine Red at my local GC, used, great condition, $499.00. its over 600 new.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Frazzetto View Post
    @Deedubs!, that picture is old :P I have new heads on both sides, and cymbals. The drums are just a little idk.. haha. my 13" has a bit of a jingle.. as if theres lose metal in the hoop or something.. idk haha. Plus, I want a bigger setup too. and arent saturns like 1300+? :o

@Marko, yes I have. But, i havent been getting that much input on it. so i try around i different parts of the forum (ie: Mapex drums, Drum reviews, Drummers Q&A, Etc.)
    If you do decide to change the heads, tighten the screws on the inside of the shell. It could be loose lugs.
    Last edited by Deedubs!; 11-12-2011 at 04:38 PM.
    1997 DW collectors kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Cymbals are key, best to spend a tad more here. You can have the best drums and with poor cymbals loose the entire effect.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, but like I said, cymbals are not my issue. i just dont like my drum setup and sound anymore. idk
    Specs

Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

^^^Like my band!!^^^

User Info Menu

Screw it! Get a different kit. You might love it, and it might spark you to want to play more if you end up getting a kit that sounds good to you!
    1997 DW collectors kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware