Thread: Mapex Horizon 7-piece

User Info Menu

Default Mapex Horizon 7-piece

Could anyone give some input on this set? i was looking into making it my 2nd set. my more advanced once, since I am better now and im sick of my horrid sounding Ludwig Accent.

Any input would help. And if someone could post a picture too. idk how lol! thanks -fraz
    Specs

Drums: Gretsch Catalina Maple (Dark Cherry Burst) 8,10,12,14,16 toms 14 snare 22 bass
    Heads: Remo Pinstripes over Ambassadors on toms
    Bass: Stock Grestch stock reso and Evans EC2 batter
    Snare: Ambassador over Ambassador reso, PureSound Snares
    Cymbals: Zildjian A MasterSound HiHats 14"
    Sabian Xs20 Crashes 16"/18"
    Zildjian 20th Anniversary A Custom ride 21"
    Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

http://www.facebook.com/AWorkInProgressBand

^^^Like my band!!^^^

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mapex Horizon 7-piece

Quote Originally Posted by Frazzetto View Post
    Could anyone give some input on this set? i was looking into making it my 2nd set. my more advanced once, since I am better now and im sick of my horrid sounding Ludwig Accent.

Any input would help. And if someone could post a picture too. idk how lol! thanks -fraz
    Maybe you should save for a pro kit or some better cymbals, and for now replace the heads and tune your Ludwig. I have heard those kits sound really good with properly tuned heads. Not saying that you don't know how to tune.....just saying.
    Last edited by Deedubs!; 11-09-2011 at 12:13 PM.
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Also I just went to mapex website, and I don't think it's really a step up from what you have. Maybe a little, but if you were rely wanting a mapex I would wait till you could at least get a Saturn. That way you have a pro kit that you won't ever need to upgrade. Just my 2 cents. I looked at the pic on your profile, and if I were you I would upgrade the cymbals, and give you Ludwigs some new skins.
    1997 DW collectors kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Haven't you posted this same thread a few times now? Or am I imagining things?

User Info Menu

@Deedubs!, that picture is old :P I have new heads on both sides, and cymbals. The drums are just a little idk.. haha. my 13" has a bit of a jingle.. as if theres lose metal in the hoop or something.. idk haha. Plus, I want a bigger setup too. and arent saturns like 1300+? :o

@Marko, yes I have. But, i havent been getting that much input on it. so i try around i different parts of the forum (ie: Mapex drums, Drum reviews, Drummers Q&A, Etc.)
    Specs

Drums: Gretsch Catalina Maple (Dark Cherry Burst) 8,10,12,14,16 toms 14 snare 22 bass
    Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

^^^Like my band!!^^^

User Info Menu

Well have you tried craigslist? I get most of my stuff on there for pennies on the dollar.
    1997 DW collectors kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Frazzetto, what's your budget for a new kit? I tend to agree that the Horizon is not a big enough step up to put your money there. I would think your next kit should at least be a solid intermediate kit (Mapex Meridian, Gretsch Catalina, etc.). I also think the idea of picking up a good used kit is a solid idea. A new kit loses value the moment it leaves the store, but no so with a used kit. It takes time and effort to find the right used kit, but it might be worth it.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Frazzetto, what's your budget for a new kit? I tend to agree that the Horizon is not a big enough step up to put your money there. I would think your next kit should at least be a solid intermediate kit (Mapex Meridian, Gretsch Catalina, etc.). I also think the idea of picking up a good used kit is a solid idea. A new kit loses value the moment it leaves the store, but no so with a used kit. It takes time and effort to find the right used kit, but it might be worth it.
    Completely agree, PB.

User Info Menu

I would also focus on cymbals first. Cause whether or not you have a 1000 dollar craviatto solid snare, or the metal snare that came with your accent kit, you are still limited by a 15 dollar snare head. While zildjian a's and sabian aa's might seem expensive, when treated properly, it will last you for life.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

i heard a dude soundchecking a Ludwig Accent a few weeks ago and it sounded great. with a decent snare and proper tuning a cheap kit sounds like a pro kit. well, almost.
    i agree with the previous responses. go used.
    case in point, ive got my eye on a Catalina Maple Wine Red at my local GC, used, great condition, $499.00. its over 600 new.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Frazzetto View Post
    @Deedubs!, that picture is old :P I have new heads on both sides, and cymbals. The drums are just a little idk.. haha. my 13" has a bit of a jingle.. as if theres lose metal in the hoop or something.. idk haha. Plus, I want a bigger setup too. and arent saturns like 1300+? :o

@Marko, yes I have. But, i havent been getting that much input on it. so i try around i different parts of the forum (ie: Mapex drums, Drum reviews, Drummers Q&A, Etc.)
    If you do decide to change the heads, tighten the screws on the inside of the shell. It could be loose lugs.
    Last edited by Deedubs!; 11-12-2011 at 03:38 PM.
    1997 DW collectors kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Cymbals are key, best to spend a tad more here. You can have the best drums and with poor cymbals loose the entire effect.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, but like I said, cymbals are not my issue. i just dont like my drum setup and sound anymore. idk
    Specs

Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

^^^Like my band!!^^^

User Info Menu

Screw it! Get a different kit. You might love it, and it might spark you to want to play more if you end up getting a kit that sounds good to you!
    1997 DW collectors kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware