Thread: Junior band & Convert band. Any tips?

User Info Menu

Default Junior band & Concert band. Any tips?

As required by my music course, I need to either a) Join junior band or b) prepare a presentation on classical or romantic era composers

I personally, think that opting with b) is boring. So I am joining junior band. In the class I play trombone, but for junior band, my music teacher acknowledges that I have a love of all things percussion so she let me play percussion. (Also consider that there is only three percussionists and seven trombone player) I would assume I'll be doing snare, but at their last performance I notice there was no timpani (roto toms :P) player, no suspended cymbals, and just one bass drum, that was barely heard. (there was also no marimba or any other key- percussion instruments, despite the fact that there is a glockenspiel, marimba, and xylophone in the music room storage, as well as the parts to these instruments for all the songs they rehearse)

Anyways, I have never really gotten into any kind of percussion that didn't involve a full kit, so does anyone have any advice or tips, for "rudimentary" playing? I mean I know the basic rudiments (variations of the paraddidle, flams, doubles, and singles) but any other advice? Particularly for smooth sounding rolls :P
    Last edited by Fifty; 11-09-2011 at 07:56 PM.
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford