Thread: Suitcase Drum Kit

User Info Menu

Default Suitcase Drum Kit

Looking into making a suitcase drum kit. I've seen them where a piece of floor tom shell was glued to the suitcase a then having a tunable head for the bass. I've also seen where it was just straight on the suitcase. Being it's a plastic suitcase that I've purchased, it really doesn't sound too bad right against the suitcase. Looking for some input for those with some experience with this. Just a possible fun project I'd like to try. Thanks for any input in advance!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Suitcase Drum Kit

One inspiration

This one sounds good too

User Info Menu

^Band Called Echo Town.
    Plays with an old leather suitcase. 13" HH, 20" Ride and 6/4" splash. With 13/14" snare, 8 and 10 tama toms and a 36x18" Leather Bass Drum.

Check them out. Everything fits in the case.

My Kit:
    Mapex Horizon HZB in Transparrent Cherry.
    Consisting of 10" and 16" Toms.
    14" Snare and 22" Bass.
    Toms have Aquarian Perfomance II, snare has ambassador coated.

Cymbal Array:
    14" Pearl CX-200 Hats.
    16" B8 Rock Crash.
    20" Paiste 400 Power Ride.
    10" Meinl MCS Splash.

User Info Menu

Very cool! Make me one too!
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Sounds pretty neat! Never seen these before..
    Dw | Zildjian | Pro-Mark | Evans

User Info Menu

Me either never seen them before but looks interesting a whole kit in a suitcase.

User Info Menu

Here's a cool one..looks like he has the Arbiter flat style toms. Sound only when he plays. Not certain if the snare fit in the case too, unless thats what he set on top of the throne when packing.....still cool
    Last edited by Olimpass; 11-10-2011 at 06:26 PM.

User Info Menu

wow!!! I always like suite-case drum! Simple & cool!!! As for small stage,unplug,low volume gigs,band's pratice & jamming with friends.This's what I made! base on cajon concept & suitecase drum's idea.I combine this two idea into one.The Top part of the Box's drum can be open,so that the Kick-Pedal,Mini Hi-hat,Splash cymbal/holder,drum sticks can store inside.The Pedal Tambourine & Foot Block/cabasa I will put into another small bag(For some gig I don't bring it!).(1)10" snare on the left(2)13" kick in front(3)12"tom on the right.Very relax playing position!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aaaidn View Post

^Band Called Echo Town.
    Plays with an old leather suitcase. 13" HH, 20" Ride and 6/4" splash. With 13/14" snare, 8 and 10 tama toms and a 36x18" Leather Bass Drum.

Very cool...thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Deedubs! View Post
    Very cool! Make me one too!
    Ha ha , you're funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Ciz View Post
    Sounds pretty neat! Never seen these before..
    See, I'm sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Me either never seen them before but looks interesting a whole kit in a suitcase.
    Pretty cool, aint' it?

Quote Originally Posted by wonder1 View Post
    wow!!! I always like suite-case drum! Simple & cool!!! As for small stage,unplug,low volume gigs,band's pratice & jamming with friends.This's what I made! base on cajon concept & suitecase drum's idea.I combine this two idea into one.The Top part of the Box's drum can be open,so that the Kick-Pedal,Mini Hi-hat,Splash cymbal/holder,drum sticks can store inside.The Pedal Tambourine & Foot Block/cabasa I will put into another small bag(For some gig I don't bring it!).(1)10" snare on the left(2)13" kick in front(3)12"tom on the right.Very relax playing position!!

Very cool contraption you have there!

User Info Menu

Hey Olimpass, ya beat me to it, was gonna scan and copy the same article from Modern Drummer! That guy should seriously get some sort of award for coming up with something like that. Absolutely brilliant.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Hey Olimpass, ya beat me to it, was gonna scan and copy the same article from Modern Drummer! That guy should seriously get some sort of award for coming up with something like that. Absolutely brilliant.
    Thanks Drumbledore...I've posted tthe modern drummer pic in the random thread awhile back. Almost all of his hardware was separate though. I just love the idea of portability like that. I really like the bigger case with the arbiter flat style toms vid where everything fit into the case...it sounded pretty good..although it seemed it was in a good echoey area which helps it out alot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aaaidn View Post

^Band Called Echo Town.

Sounds pretty solid.

User Info Menu

Won this the other day for 5.50 GBP (Arbiter Flat snare) and shipping was estimated at 30 GBP but turned out it would actually be 60.50 GBP. (total = $104.38!)The seller was kind, understood and agreed to cancel transaction. Figured this might be a cool snare for the suitcase drum kit project. Wasn't meant to be I guess.

User Info Menu

Very cool ideas. Nice and small, seems like it would be great for occasions where you want to play but you only have a tiny amount of space to do it. Nice small footprint.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Very cool ideas. Nice and small, seems like it would be great for occasions where you want to play but you only have a tiny amount of space to do it. Nice small footprint.
    Thanks Russ, yeah, too bad it didn't work out. I think it's a cool idea too and wanted to get some info from experienced people. Looking forward to Shane's project. The seller had stated the buyer was to pay an estimated 30 GBP for shipping but turned out more than double. That was a 12" snare with the "single lug advanced tuning". Was curious to see how it actually worked.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 02-08-2012 at 11:04 AM.