Thread: Beginners Guide - Buying your FIRST drumset

User Info Menu

Default Beginners Guide - Buying your FIRST drumset

Although I love my drumset (it really does have a great sound, it's just the little things, hardware, cymbals, that sort of thing), there is somethings about me buying my set, that if I had known about I would have changed a lot. To put it differently, if I had the knowledge and understanding I have now three years ago, when buying my first drumset, my decision would have been completely different, and I would have ended up saving money in the long run. So I'm going to write this, offer help to those who want to look around a bit.

Shop now for a drumset!

------------------

Shop around

I would recommend searching around first, just to narrow down your search to suitable candidates - There are thousands upon thousands of drumsets to choose from, so I would use the internet to find out the basics. For example: Do you want a 2 up, 1 down, 1 up, two down, 1 up, 1 down etc. (meaning one mounted tom, one floor tom, two mounted toms, one floor tom etc.)

Ask the pro's

If your new to drumming, you might sort of generalize and assume that anyone who works in a store, is trying to convince you to buy the most expensive stuff, just to make money. GENERALLY this is not true with music. If you go to a computer store and they recommend something, your first thought is "ok he's just trying to get to my cash." With MOST (I had one experience where, the clerk was commission (or rather got payed extra to sell a certain brand) based, and kept trying to sell me a yamaha kit with zildjian cymbals) If you have a question ask them! They will [usually] help you honestly. If your new to drumming, you most likely won't have a preference in sound yet, so ask generally what is good for what, are XS20's good for playing classic rock? You wouldn't know if your just starting out, but as you develop you'll learn that almost any sound can be applied to any style- it all depends on you.

Don't worry about the perks

If a drum set bundle says "cymbals and hardware included," it doesn't necessarily make it a better buy, you will end up upgrading the cymbals you get with a drumset, because when it says "cymbals included" it usually means brass discs that simply look like cymbals, but in not other ways, resemble a cymbal.

Let me give you an example- My example:
    My drumset (Poplar wood) included hardware (one strait stand, one boom stand, one three legged hi hat stand, and a single kick pedal) and cymbals (brass hi hats, brass crash, brass ride, which are all now, destroyed, minus the ride) it cost $950.

Will you end up playing double kick? If so then why would you need the included single kick pedal? And a three legged stand would make for difficult positioning of the double kick pedal (as I've learned the hard way) The cymbals that come with the kit were brass, and I replaced them as fast as I could, I basically hit them until they were completely bent out of shape, which is to say about 10 months! I would probably still have some beginner level cymbals (Paiste PST5's, Sabian B8's/B8 Pro's, Zildjian ZBT's)

Anyways the basic thing to remember is this: Buying a drumset that comes with cymbals and hard ware, is great and easy, and cheaper short term wise, but it also limits your flexibility (and creativity in some cases), and is a bit more expensive in the long run.

Since I bought my drumset I have purchased:
    P2002C double pedal $360
    Sabian XS20 Rock crash (16") $120
    Sabian XS20 Medium Ride (20") $170
    Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi Hats (14") $270
    Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash (18") $185
    DW3700 Boom Cymbal stand $73

So all that extra I paid for the included cymbals and kick pedal was basically a waste.

Nothing wrong with buying used!

As pointed out by fellow drumchatters, there is no shame (and actually benefit) in buying a used set. If you're planning on buying a $600 on a beginner set, why not put that into an intermediate level used set for the same price?

Now that you're here (at Drum Chat) register and ask around!
    I haven't been here all that long, but I'm sure Drum Chatters would be happy to help you. Register (if you haven't already) and post a thread.

If you know another drummer, ASK HIM/HER
    Even if you barely know them, ask him/her for some tips.

There is a lot to consider when buying a drumset, and some of the consideration you might not want to do yourself, so ask someone, it doesn't even need to be a store employee, ask your drum teacher, ask someone who you know plays the drums, DO your research. You like math? Of course you don't but here is an equation anyway:
    r^x = m^(-x)
    R = Research, M = money, X = value of time (but does NOT equal time, there is a difference, yes, I'm a huge math geek, and I did spend a minute just coming up with this simple equation, which might be wrong

If your not good with math that equation basically means the more research and gathering you do, the more money you save.

If any seasoned drummers have any thing to add to this, feel free to post

Keep in mind I'm not the most experienced drummer (I have been playing for three something years now), but I have been playing short enough to remember the experience of buying my first drumset vividly.
    Last edited by Fifty; 10-16-2011 at 04:36 PM.
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

ThePloughman Guest

Default Re: Beginners Guide - Buying your FIRST drumset

I am still of the mind that the whole shell pack marketing routine is a rip off. When was the last time you bought a car and had to have it towed home because it doesnt come with rims and tires? And yet, drummers accept that. I bought my first drumset after playing for 5 years. I also bought used, pro level, and complete. Drums, hardware, cases, and cymbals, all from the same guy. My drums were two years old, and looked like new. Price? I paid half what they cost new. And that was still a lot more than any "entry" set would have been. It was a lot less than constantly upgrading crap equipment would have been. If you are truly decided you are going to drum and stick with it, (getting super good, or famous doesnt matter), ..... then skip the entry routine. Save up, buy the good stuff right out of the gate.

And I still play them. Thirty four years later.

--------
    Advertisement

Drum Stickers

Beginner Drummer package. Includes drumstick bag, drum rudiments chart, manuscript paper, beginner drumsticks, drum tuning key,
    ear plugs and a Drum Bum sticker!
    Last edited by ThePloughman; 10-15-2011 at 10:37 PM.

User Info Menu

I sure agree with Ploughman on the idea of finding a good used kit. I got a beginner kit when I started, thinking I could start out cheap, and if I didn't have what it took, I wouldn't be out too much. If I had invested the same amount in a used kit, I would have had a much better kit right out of the gate, and I wouldn't have been upgrading later on. I did feel very fortunate to find my Gretsch Catalina Maple kit, and I have been very content, but I also ended up spending about $600 on the beginner kit that I really didn't have to spend. Unfortunately, I didn't have Drum Chat at the time, and I didn't know of any other drummers that I could turn to for advice.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I think I would advise having a more experienced, and trustworthy, acquaintance select a used complete kit for a first-time buy. There are loads of second-hand kits out there; many in very good order, and much less expensive than their equivalent, new.
    If the buddy has a clear idea on your budget, and some idea of your tastes/aspirations, there is little risk, and some invaluable assistance in setting it up (tom placement/angle, tuning etc...) will give a decent result quickly.
    Of course, I did things the hard way, all those years ago, and found out from experience how to waste a fair sum of hard-to-find money. If only DC had existed in the '60's..!
    Hope this helps...
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

ThePloughman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dad3353 View Post
    I think I would advise having a more experienced, and trustworthy, acquaintance select a used complete kit for a first-time buy. ...
    This is an absolute MUST!!! The only way something like this can be avoided..... requries hundreds and hundreds of hours of research, .... reading and looking, and hands on listening to gear.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    I am still of the mind that the whole shell pack marketing routine is a rip off. When was the last time you bought a car and had to have it towed home because it doesnt come with rims and tires? And yet, drummers accept that. I bought my first drumset after playing for 5 years. I also bought used, pro level, and complete. Drums, hardware, cases, and cymbals, all from the same guy. My drums were two years old, and looked like new. Price? I paid half what they cost new. And that was still a lot more than any "entry" set would have been. It was a lot less than constantly upgrading crap equipment would have been. If you are truly decided you are going to drum and stick with it, (getting super good, or famous doesnt matter), ..... then skip the entry routine. Save up, buy the good stuff right out of the gate.

And I still play them. Thirty four years later.
    Thank you for mentioning this, it points to the other side of the coin. The point of buying a beginner shell pack, is to see if your into drums or not? I know lots of people who have started something (not just instruments, but usually instruments) and lost interest. That's the whole reason I decided to buy this.

Let me put it another way:

One one side, you have the convenience and lower price of buying a complete set, crap cymbals and all, just to see if your into it. On the other side, you have the option of buying a pro level shell pack, or just building your setup from scratch. This gets somewhere in the middle. I think you really shouldn't spend extra to get included stuff, that will be upgraded the future, but it's still ideal for a beginner to buy a shell pack in my opinion.

Besides, where is the fun in buying one set you'll use your whole life? That would just make G.A.S. worse. Because if you sort of take it one step at a time, you'd be buying a set every decade, treating GAS for a relatively long time

In the extreme: Would a six month drummer have a giant setup, crashes, chinas, splashes, ride(s) hi hat(s) two kick drums, and a dozen or so toms? Probably not.

Maybe that's just me though :/

Quote Originally Posted by Dad3353 View Post
    I think I would advise having a more experienced, and trustworthy, acquaintance select a used complete kit for a first-time buy. There are loads of second-hand kits out there; many in very good order, and much less expensive than their equivalent, new.
    If the buddy has a clear idea on your budget, and some idea of your tastes/aspirations, there is little risk, and some invaluable assistance in setting it up (tom placement/angle, tuning etc...) will give a decent result quickly.
    Of course, I did things the hard way, all those years ago, and found out from experience how to waste a fair sum of hard-to-find money. If only DC had existed in the '60's..!
    Hope this helps...
    Not everyone has an experienced drummer as a friend
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

User Info Menu

Actually Fifty, you are always better off buying a better used kit for the same price as a beginner. This is simply due to the fact that it will hold more of it's cost to you than an entry level kit if you decide not to stick with drums. A $600 kit that is a few years old can be sold for the same $600 6 months later. The same can't be said for a new kit at almost any level.

As for G.A.S. I know you are newer to DrumChat so I'll cut you some slack on not knowing that TPM didn't say his first kit was his only kit LOL. Just that he still had it!
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I would advise any first time buyer to stay away from shell packs. For a couple of reasons. One you have no idea what you need to buy and you'll either spend a bunch of money on stuff you dont need or two you'll end up going through the frustration of not having everything you need to play.

ThePloughman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    Actually Fifty, you are always better off buying a better used kit for the same price as a beginner. This is simply due to the fact that it will hold more of it's cost to you than an entry level kit if you decide not to stick with drums. A $600 kit that is a few years old can be sold for the same $600 6 months later. The same can't be said for a new kit at almost any level.

As for G.A.S. I know you are newer to DrumChat so I'll cut you some slack on not knowing that TPM didn't say his first kit was his only kit LOL. Just that he still had it!
    but............. it was my only kit for the first 25 years.

Thats gotta count for something!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    I would advise any first time buyer to stay away from shell packs. For a couple of reasons. One you have no idea what you need to buy and you'll either spend a bunch of money on stuff you dont need or two you'll end up going through the frustration of not having everything you need to play.
    I understand, but that's exactly it, when I was starting out I didn't know what I was going to need. I figured a two up, one down arrangement was standard, and I could play simple 4/4 16th note fills (snaresnaresnaresnare, hightom hightom hightom hightom, midtom midtom midtom midtom, lowtom lowtom lowtom lowtom lol) When I developed more, I realized I'd really love another (14") floor tom, it isn't a problem finding a 14" floor tom that matches my set, but I am just going to wait until I buy my next set, to get a three up, two down arrangement.

Anyways that's my opinion, and maybe someone else should have wrote this thread :P

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    but............. it was my only kit for the first 25 years.

Thats gotta count for something!!!
    . Hey I'm in a similar boat. Only had the Tamas from 1986 until 2 years ago or so. Then the trouble started...

In the end it's been a lot of swapping and hasn't cost me much. Got the Tour Customs on the cheap from MF, which I then traded for the slightly used Renowns, which I just recently sold to fund the new Superstars I have.

In fact now that I think about it, it barely cost me anything. When does that happen? Let's see, TC's for a net of $350 new ($550 on sale minus $200 I got back selling free double pedal). Traded for Renowns which I sold for $750. That's a profit of $400. My Superstars cost like $460 shipped, so all of that cost me $60. A new set of Superstars for $60, not bad!!!!
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fifty View Post
    ...Not everyone has an experienced drummer as a friend
    True. Sad, but true.
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

Times have really changed since I purchased my 1st drumset. I didn't have the option of "levels". Cymbals were the same way. I had a choice, of course, but it was between which brand you wanted. Ludwig, Slingerland or Rogers for drums, Zildjian or Paiste for the cymbals. Basically that was it. It came down to which brand you preferred. Maybe that's why some of us, shall we say for the sake of "Politically Correctness", "more experenced" drummers are a bit more brand loyal than others.

I feel that the main reason for all the choices out there is economics. The cost of making the same grade of drums that were made in the 60 and 70's is way too high to bring the cost to within what the average person can really afford. If there were no entry level drumsets, there are alot of us out there that would just be priced out of playing drums. Including myself. Sheet metal cymbals, while not being as good as cast, do fill a need, and have been proven to have a market. If not, they wouldn't be made.

The one thing that a fledging drummer has that I didn't was the tons of information available for review. Thanks to the internet, you have the chance to be thousands of times more informed than I ever was. Use it wisely. It's a great asset to have.

Try not to bow to peer pressure and by the most expensive out there just because it the most expensive. Like wise, don't buy the cheapest out there just because its cheap. If you do buy expensive gear, whats going to happen when you find out that you just arn't cut out to play? On the other hand, if you buy the cheap stuff, it might make you so miserable that you won't want to play. Just go out there and ask questions, play as many different sets that you can, and make the choice that best for you, and you alone.

User Info Menu

This is excellent advice. I was lucky enough to find drum chat before I bought a set. I was dead set on new. Then I found a screaming deal on a used kit with everything and more! Now I just need some talent lol.

User Info Menu

my first kit was a Pearl International that was completely trashed. 200 bucks with ZBTs brand new. i felt sorry for it. still play it and it sounds great. the neighborhood will never be the same.
    ive decided to sell my frankenkit and get a Catalina Maple. if youre not growing youre dying.

User Info Menu

Keep your eyes pealed for used! Got my dw shells for $800 on craigslist form a very desperate fellow!
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Never understood all the fuss. If you want to drum, buy some drums...ANY DRUMS, and play! I remember just first few years playing on pans and overturned KFC buckets, thumping along to beach boys 45's. Looking back those were joyous years. People now-a-days (so it seems to me) have no use for dreaming. It all has to be obtained right now. I look at so many photos right on this forum. Guys surrounding themselves with the most state of the art gear imaginable...and still not happy. Always wanting something else!
    And I agree with Veafer. There was no choice at one time. I grew up in a small industrial city up north with 2 music stores. You could buy set A or set B Or set C if you include the local Sears outlet. (Those you couldnt even try...had to order them). Rogers and Gretsch were names I heard of but never saw them till years later when I left town. Zildjian were Zildjian. They didn't come in lines. I simply aquired things as oppurtunities presented and money was available. It was the passion of music and druums that kept me going not the gear itself. I find today, I have a lot of appreciation for what I have because I earned it the hard way, and I don't suffer this so-called GAS that so many talk about.

all the best...